Open Anything with NoteTab Pro

    Message 1 of 6 , May 24, 2005
      Hi Roy,

      >Has anyone found a way to make Notetab the default editor for
      >files that have no extension?
      >I was wondering if there was a way to "fool" it using this
      >technique for txt:
      > Options;Associations;type in txt and then click on the Add button.

      If you are not comfortable editing the registry, do not use this procedure!
      Use at your own risk! If your computer breaks, don't yell at me. :-)

      The following is a procedure to put "Open with NoteTab Pro" on
      the main Windows Explorer (or My Computer) content (right click)
      menu. It should/will always be there and should/will open *any
      file* you click on in NoteTab Pro. Use with caution.

      1. Open the Registry Editor (Start | Run | regedit, OK)
      2. Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
      3. Highlight/click on the asterisk * folder
      4. Click on File | Export...
      5. Name and save as REG file type. (Open with Backup.reg)
      or something longer so you will *know* for sure what it is.
      6. Remember where you saved it to; it's your backup! ;)
      7. Edit the following line in the code below to your path to NoteTab.
      @="\"F:\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\" \"%1\""
      Note the double slashes in the file path. If it is easier for you
      in the registry, use the Modify command under the Shell folder after
      adding the data below to the registry.
      8. Copy the text below, paste in new document, Save as
      something like: Open EVERYTHING with NoteTab Pro.reg
      9. Go to location you saved it to. You might save the
      backup and the aforementioned in the same location
      like NoteTab Pro's main folder.
      10. Click/Double click on file made in step 7 above.
      11. Answer OK to edit registry question.
      12. Right click over any file type you want and you should
      see Open with NoteTab Pro on the main menu. (You can
      make that say anything by editing it below.)
      13. If you have problems, use your backup.reg file to restore.
      delete the NoteTab Pro.exe entry and if there is only
      NoteTab Pro in the Shell folder, delete the whole folder.
      14. 13 is an unlucky number, so I added this line to end with, ;)

      --------- copy below ------------------
      Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*]

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList]

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList\NotePro.exe]

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\All File Types]
      @="Open with NoteTab Pro"

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\All File Types\command]
      @="\"F:\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\" \"%1\""

      --------- copy above ------------------

      Take care,
      Jody Adair

      and even thou doest err some! ;)
      http://clean-funnies.com
      http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
    • Alan C
      Message 2 of 6 , May 24, 2005
        Jody wrote:
        > Hi Roy,
        [ . . ]
        > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\All File Types\command]
        > @="\"F:\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\" \"%1\""

        I just noticed: Does that happen to be targeted to an "F: drive"?

        Or does it also work when someone has NotePro on a drive letter other
        than F: in which case then please excuse me and I'll (quickly) bow out.

        Alan.
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 6 , May 24, 2005
          Roy,

          If you do not want to edit the Registry:

          The option I use is to add a shortcut to NoteTab in the SendTo folder.
          Since you can put shortcuts here, you can use different NoteTab
          commandline parameters. I have three NoteTab Pro shortcuts for different
          purposes on my SendTo context menu. I also have one for NoteTab Standard
          for really big files.

          There are other programs that I use frequently that I also add to the
          SendTo menu so that it is there regardless of file extension.

          On Windows NT/2K/XP each user has their own SendTo folder under

          C:\Documents and Setting\USERNAME\SendTo

          Note that SendTo is a hidden directory by default.

          Larry Hamilton
          Kairos Computer Solutions
          http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
          Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

          Message 4 of 6 , May 24, 2005
            Hi Alan,

            >> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\All File Types\command]
            >> @="\"F:\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\" \"%1\""
            >
            >I just noticed: Does that happen to be targeted to an "F: drive"?
            >
            >Or does it also work when someone has NotePro on a drive letter other
            >than F: in which case then please excuse me and I'll (quickly) bow out.

            7. Edit the following line in the code below to your path to NoteTab.
            @="\"F:\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\" \"%1\""
            Note the double slashes in the file path. If it is easier for you
            in the registry, use the Modify command under the Shell folder after
            adding the data below to the registry.

            The F is part of the path. The easiest thing to do is use one of
            the copy path utilities (a must have!!!) and after installing the
            .reg file go to regedit:

            HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\All File Types\command

            right click on Default and choose Modify, select my path, right
            click and choose Paste (or type your path in). Or, just edit the
            .reg file I sent using your drive letter and full path, but pay
            attention to double slashes instead of single.

            So, mine is: F:\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\

            NoteTab's default would be: C:\\Program Files\\NoteTab Pro\\NotePro.exe\

            That's in the reg file looking at it in a text editor. It looks like a
            regular path in the registry with single slashes wrapped in quotes.

            bcnu,
            jody

            I can only please one person a day.
            Today is obviously not your day.
            Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
            http://www.clean-funnies.com
            http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448 ;)
            http://www.sojourner.us/software
          • Roy Herring
            Message 5 of 6 , May 25, 2005
              Great idea, Larry,

              Also I found that I can double click (OPEN) the file in 2xExplorer (I use that instead of IE) and then Browse. Then I can browse to Notetab. The next time I double click a file w/ no extension, Notetab appears in the choices list. It is pretty easy to spot and click on since it has the red & white flag.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 25, 2005
                Roy,

                Glad to help. Together we all come up with a lot of good information.