Re: [NTO] Backup to DVD (was Simple mistake huge consequence)

  • Subu S
    Message 1 of 8 , May 11 6:17 AM
      Hello Martin

      Thanks for the quick reply

      > - HandyBackup http://www.handybackup.net/
      > - Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/

      I shall try these out

      May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
      freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

      Regards

      Subu

      --- Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic <lists@...> wrote:
      > Hello Subu,
      >
      > On 11 May 2005, 09:07 you wrote:
      >
      > > 2. I have a laptop - WIN XPP, with a DVD drive and some 10 ~ 15
      > GB
      > > of data. What is the best way to back up these to DVDs. I'd
      > prefer
      > > to do an initial backup on a set of 3 ~ 4 DVDs and then do an
      > > incremental backup ....
      >
      > Everyone has their favourite products... I use two products with
      > Windows:
      >
      > - HandyBackup http://www.handybackup.net/
      > - Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/
      >

      > Both write to DVD and offer incremental backups. However, True
      > Image
      > provides disaster recovery features that can be a 'lifesaver'
      > (and
      > would have resolved Adrian's predicament in a matter of minutes.)
      >
      > I tend to use True Image for regular weekly scheduled backups
      > (imaging
      > the drive while you work) and HandyBackup for daily scheduled
      > changes
      > of my own data. Both products can recover individual files.
      >
      > Clearly there are other similar products. These are what I use; I
      > think they are excellent products. However, the only
      > recommendation I
      > will make is that you should take full advantage of the trial
      > periods
      > on offer and decide for yourself. Unfortunately, True Image only
      > comes
      > as a demo and won't commit changes; but if you will see how the
      > program works (and how quick it is vis-�-vis other drive imaging
      > products.)
      >
      > BTW, support has been *very* good from both vendors.
      >

      > --
      > As ever,
      > | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
      > | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
      > |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|
      >
      > "How often misused words generate misleading thoughts." HUBERT
      > SPENCER

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 8 , May 11 8:34 AM
        Subu,

        One freeware, but not open source, I use SyncBak, it has a free and a
        pro version at

        http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

        It appears that the free version is recently updated, but the tone I get
        from their updated web site is that it may not be around much longer.

        The pay version is $15.00.

        For free and open source, you might try a search of Sourceforge:

        http://sourceforge.net

        I tried the term "backup" and it came back with lots of possibilities,
        but I am not familiar with any of these. I do use several other programs
        that are Sourceforge products, such as FileZilla FTP client, or 7-Zip,
        and am satisfied with them.

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        Message 3 of 8 , May 11 9:05 AM
          Hello Subu,

          On 11 May 2005, 14:17 you wrote:

          > Thanks for the quick reply

          You're welcome. :-)

          > May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
          > freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

          Check out Mondo Rescue. I've used it with Linux but it will run on
          Windows too: http://www.mondorescue.org/.

          --
          As ever,
          | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
          | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
          |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

          "How does a project get to be late? ...one day at a time." F BROOKS
        • Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic
          Message 4 of 8 , May 12 7:32 AM
            Hello Subu,

            On 11 May 2005, 14:17 you wrote:

            > May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
            > freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

            Here's another useful source of free software:
            http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32_freeware.html. You may like to check
            out Backup4All; see http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/b4all130.html.

            --
            As ever,
            | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
            | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
            |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

            "Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans; it's lovely to be
            silly at the right moment." HORACE, 65-8 BC
          • Subu S
            Message 5 of 8 , May 13 3:56 AM
              Thanks a ton Martin

              I've checking both Rondo and this one

              Regards

              Subu

              --- Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic <lists@...> wrote:
              > Hello Subu,
              >
              > On 11 May 2005, 14:17 you wrote:
              >
              > > May I also request other members to come up with *open source*
              > /
              > > freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*
              >
              > Here's another useful source of free software:
              > http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32_freeware.html. You may like to
              > check
              > out Backup4All; see
              > http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/b4all130.html.
              >

              > --
              > As ever,
              >
              > "Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans; it's lovely to
              > be
              > silly at the right moment." HORACE, 65-8 BC

              Yahoo! Mail Mobile
              http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail