Re: [NTO] Backup to DVD (was Simple mistake huge consequence)

  • Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic
    Message 1 of 8 , May 11, 2005
      Hello Subu,

      On 11 May 2005, 09:07 you wrote:

      > 2. I have a laptop - WIN XPP, with a DVD drive and some 10 ~ 15 GB
      > of data. What is the best way to back up these to DVDs. I'd prefer
      > to do an initial backup on a set of 3 ~ 4 DVDs and then do an
      > incremental backup ....

      Everyone has their favourite products... I use two products with
      Windows:

      - HandyBackup http://www.handybackup.net/
      - Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/

      Both write to DVD and offer incremental backups. However, True Image
      provides disaster recovery features that can be a 'lifesaver' (and
      would have resolved Adrian's predicament in a matter of minutes.)

      I tend to use True Image for regular weekly scheduled backups (imaging
      the drive while you work) and HandyBackup for daily scheduled changes
      of my own data. Both products can recover individual files.

      Clearly there are other similar products. These are what I use; I
      think they are excellent products. However, the only recommendation I
      will make is that you should take full advantage of the trial periods
      on offer and decide for yourself. Unfortunately, True Image only comes
      as a demo and won't commit changes; but if you will see how the
      program works (and how quick it is vis-à-vis other drive imaging
      products.)

      BTW, support has been *very* good from both vendors.

      --
      As ever,
      | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
      | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
      |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

      "How often misused words generate misleading thoughts." HUBERT SPENCER
    • Subu S
      Message 2 of 8 , May 11, 2005
        Hello Martin

        Thanks for the quick reply

        > - HandyBackup http://www.handybackup.net/
        > - Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/

        I shall try these out

        May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
        freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

        Regards

        Subu

        --- Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic <lists@...> wrote:
        > Hello Subu,
        >
        > On 11 May 2005, 09:07 you wrote:
        >
        > > 2. I have a laptop - WIN XPP, with a DVD drive and some 10 ~ 15
        > GB
        > > of data. What is the best way to back up these to DVDs. I'd
        > prefer
        > > to do an initial backup on a set of 3 ~ 4 DVDs and then do an
        > > incremental backup ....
        >
        > Everyone has their favourite products... I use two products with
        > Windows:
        >
        > - HandyBackup http://www.handybackup.net/
        > - Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/
        >

        > Both write to DVD and offer incremental backups. However, True
        > Image
        > provides disaster recovery features that can be a 'lifesaver'
        > (and
        > would have resolved Adrian's predicament in a matter of minutes.)
        >
        > I tend to use True Image for regular weekly scheduled backups
        > (imaging
        > the drive while you work) and HandyBackup for daily scheduled
        > changes
        > of my own data. Both products can recover individual files.
        >
        > Clearly there are other similar products. These are what I use; I
        > think they are excellent products. However, the only
        > recommendation I
        > will make is that you should take full advantage of the trial
        > periods
        > on offer and decide for yourself. Unfortunately, True Image only
        > comes
        > as a demo and won't commit changes; but if you will see how the
        > program works (and how quick it is vis-�-vis other drive imaging
        > products.)
        >
        > BTW, support has been *very* good from both vendors.
        >

        > --
        > As ever,
        > | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
        > | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
        > |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|
        >
        > "How often misused words generate misleading thoughts." HUBERT
        > SPENCER

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 8 , May 11, 2005
          Subu,

          One freeware, but not open source, I use SyncBak, it has a free and a
          pro version at

          http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

          It appears that the free version is recently updated, but the tone I get
          from their updated web site is that it may not be around much longer.

          The pay version is $15.00.

          For free and open source, you might try a search of Sourceforge:

          http://sourceforge.net

          I tried the term "backup" and it came back with lots of possibilities,
          but I am not familiar with any of these. I do use several other programs
          that are Sourceforge products, such as FileZilla FTP client, or 7-Zip,
          and am satisfied with them.

          Larry Hamilton
          Kairos Computer Solutions
          http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
          Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

          Message 4 of 8 , May 11, 2005
            Hello Subu,

            On 11 May 2005, 14:17 you wrote:

            > Thanks for the quick reply

            You're welcome. :-)

            > May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
            > freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

            Check out Mondo Rescue. I've used it with Linux but it will run on
            Windows too: http://www.mondorescue.org/.

            --
            As ever,
            | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
            | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
            |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

            "How does a project get to be late? ...one day at a time." F BROOKS
          • Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic
            Message 5 of 8 , May 12, 2005
              Hello Subu,

              On 11 May 2005, 14:17 you wrote:

              > May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
              > freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

              Here's another useful source of free software:
              http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32_freeware.html. You may like to check
              out Backup4All; see http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/b4all130.html.

              --
              As ever,
              | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
              | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
              |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

              "Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans; it's lovely to be
              silly at the right moment." HORACE, 65-8 BC
            • Subu S
              Message 6 of 8 , May 13, 2005
                Thanks a ton Martin

                I've checking both Rondo and this one

                Regards

                Subu

                --- Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic <lists@...> wrote:
                > Hello Subu,
                >
                > On 11 May 2005, 14:17 you wrote:
                >
                > > May I also request other members to come up with *open source*
                > /
                > > freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*
                >
                > Here's another useful source of free software:
                > http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32_freeware.html. You may like to
                > check
                > out Backup4All; see
                > http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/b4all130.html.
                >

                > --
                > As ever,
                >
                > "Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans; it's lovely to
                > be
                > silly at the right moment." HORACE, 65-8 BC

                Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail