Re: Re[2]: [NTO] Simple mistake huge consequence

  • Subu S
    Message 1 of 8 , May 11, 2005
      Hi

      You people are extreamly helpful on many issues (and this thread is
      just an examsple).

      I just wish to register how happy I feel when I come across a
      friendly group like this

      In case you have (i.e. the group has ) the time, I'd like to add a
      few questions - without burdening you much ...

      1. What is best *free* spell checker for Windows. I'd prefer *not*
      to use a command line interface like Aspell if there is a better
      *free* alternative that can check directly on the window I'm typing
      in

      2. I have a laptop - WIN XPP, with a DVD drive and some 10 ~ 15 GB
      of data. What is the best way to back up these to DVDs. I'd prefer
      to do an initial backup on a set of 3 ~ 4 DVDs and then do an
      incremental backup ....

      Regards

      Subu

      --- Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic <lists@...> wrote:
      > Hello Adrian/,
      >
      > On 11 May 2005, 01:50 you wrote:
      >
      > > Many thanks for the answers. The problem is that there seem to
      > be no options other than F2
      [............]

      > 2. Are there any other partitions on the hard disk? How much free
      > space is there? This may help later if other options have failed.
      >
      > 3. Run chkdsk or similar from a floppy disk to see if there are
      > problems with the drive.

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail Mobile
      http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
    • Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic
      Message 2 of 8 , May 11, 2005
        Hello Subu,

        On 11 May 2005, 09:07 you wrote:

        > 2. I have a laptop - WIN XPP, with a DVD drive and some 10 ~ 15 GB
        > of data. What is the best way to back up these to DVDs. I'd prefer
        > to do an initial backup on a set of 3 ~ 4 DVDs and then do an
        > incremental backup ....

        Everyone has their favourite products... I use two products with
        Windows:

        - HandyBackup http://www.handybackup.net/
        - Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/

        Both write to DVD and offer incremental backups. However, True Image
        provides disaster recovery features that can be a 'lifesaver' (and
        would have resolved Adrian's predicament in a matter of minutes.)

        I tend to use True Image for regular weekly scheduled backups (imaging
        the drive while you work) and HandyBackup for daily scheduled changes
        of my own data. Both products can recover individual files.

        Clearly there are other similar products. These are what I use; I
        think they are excellent products. However, the only recommendation I
        will make is that you should take full advantage of the trial periods
        on offer and decide for yourself. Unfortunately, True Image only comes
        as a demo and won't commit changes; but if you will see how the
        program works (and how quick it is vis-à-vis other drive imaging
        products.)

        BTW, support has been *very* good from both vendors.

        --
        As ever,
        | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
        | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
        |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

        "How often misused words generate misleading thoughts." HUBERT SPENCER
      • Subu S
        Message 3 of 8 , May 11, 2005
          Hello Martin

          Thanks for the quick reply

          > - HandyBackup http://www.handybackup.net/
          > - Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/

          I shall try these out

          May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
          freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 8 , May 11, 2005
            Subu,

            One freeware, but not open source, I use SyncBak, it has a free and a
            pro version at

            http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

            It appears that the free version is recently updated, but the tone I get
            from their updated web site is that it may not be around much longer.

            The pay version is $15.00.

            For free and open source, you might try a search of Sourceforge:

            http://sourceforge.net

            I tried the term "backup" and it came back with lots of possibilities,
            but I am not familiar with any of these. I do use several other programs
            that are Sourceforge products, such as FileZilla FTP client, or 7-Zip,
            and am satisfied with them.

            Larry Hamilton
            Kairos Computer Solutions
            http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
            Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

            Message 5 of 8 , May 11, 2005
              Hello Subu,

              On 11 May 2005, 14:17 you wrote:

              > Thanks for the quick reply

              You're welcome. :-)

              > May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
              > freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

              Check out Mondo Rescue. I've used it with Linux but it will run on
              Windows too: http://www.mondorescue.org/.

              --
              As ever,
              | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
              | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
              |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

              "How does a project get to be late? ...one day at a time." F BROOKS
            • Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic
              Message 6 of 8 , May 12, 2005
                Hello Subu,

                On 11 May 2005, 14:17 you wrote:

                > May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
                > freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

                Here's another useful source of free software:
                http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32_freeware.html. You may like to check
                out Backup4All; see http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/b4all130.html.

                --
                As ever,

                "Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans; it's lovely to be
                silly at the right moment." HORACE, 65-8 BC
              • Subu S
                Message 7 of 8 , May 13, 2005
                  Thanks a ton Martin

                  I've checking both Rondo and this one