Re[2]: [NTO] Simple mistake huge consequence

  • Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic
    Message 1 of 8 , May 11, 2005
      Hello Adrian/,

      On 11 May 2005, 01:50 you wrote:

      > Many thanks for the answers. The problem is that there seem to be no options other than F2
      > and F12. Does a floppy disk have to go in as well? There are a series of options on a menu
      > (I'm writing blind here because the computer is obviously not
      > this one) but nothing by which a
      > screen appears where even a DOS file management operation can take place. There is a
      > Dell progress bar that reaches the end, and then goes from near the end to the end again,
      > and again, with only F2 and F12 offered (and which must be pressed as this bar
      > progresses).

      Using <F2> is the Dell convention for accessing the BIOS (typically
      it's <Delete>.) I suspect F12 is another BIOS option. You don't need
      to use these since the problem is with the OS.

      > I'll study answers already offered. Any further comments given what I have just written would
      > be very welcome. I brought the computer here (22 miles), but he has the CD (so afraid of
      > losing files if the CD was used) and perhaps I should have had that with me regardless.

      I think you may struggle to resolve this without the original Windows
      XP CD or some type of recovery software (even if you get it booting
      again you need to fix things.) It's possible that the Dell CD says
      something like "Reinstallation CD"; however, this is most likely a
      full version of Windows XP. *Just make sure you read all the screens
      before confirming any options.*

      In the mean time, you could try an establish the following:

      1. Is it a FAT32 file system? Use a Windows 98SE boot disk and see if
      you can read the C:\ partition. If you can do this you could attempt
      to manually replace the missing file. Let me know if you need a copy
      of the file. Also, you'll be able to use Linux to copy/backup the
      data, e.g. SUSE Live Evaluation or Knoppix (as suggested by Alan.) If
      it's NTFS things won't be so easy.

      2. Are there any other partitions on the hard disk? How much free
      space is there? This may help later if other options have failed.

      3. Run chkdsk or similar from a floppy disk to see if there are
      problems with the drive.

      You may also want to ask your friend how much he values the data. I
      suspect from what you've said that it can't be replaced. Therefore, it
      may be worth making a visit to a local PC store and getting them to
      recover it; and asking them to add an external USB drive into the
      bargain for keeping regular backups.

      --
      As ever,
      | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
      | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
      |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

      "Understanding is the beginning of approving." ANDRÉ GIDE, 1902
    • Subu S
      Message 2 of 8 , May 11, 2005
        Hi

        You people are extreamly helpful on many issues (and this thread is
        just an examsple).

        I just wish to register how happy I feel when I come across a
        friendly group like this

        In case you have (i.e. the group has ) the time, I'd like to add a
        few questions - without burdening you much ...

        1. What is best *free* spell checker for Windows. I'd prefer *not*
        to use a command line interface like Aspell if there is a better
        *free* alternative that can check directly on the window I'm typing
        in

        2. I have a laptop - WIN XPP, with a DVD drive and some 10 ~ 15 GB
        of data. What is the best way to back up these to DVDs. I'd prefer
        to do an initial backup on a set of 3 ~ 4 DVDs and then do an
        incremental backup ....

        Regards

        Subu

        --- Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic <lists@...> wrote:
        > Hello Adrian/,
        >
        > On 11 May 2005, 01:50 you wrote:
        >
        > > Many thanks for the answers. The problem is that there seem to
        > be no options other than F2
        [............]

        > 2. Are there any other partitions on the hard disk? How much free
        > space is there? This may help later if other options have failed.
        >
        > 3. Run chkdsk or similar from a floppy disk to see if there are
        > problems with the drive.

        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Mail Mobile
        http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
      • Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic
        Message 3 of 8 , May 11, 2005
          Hello Subu,

          On 11 May 2005, 09:07 you wrote:

          > 2. I have a laptop - WIN XPP, with a DVD drive and some 10 ~ 15 GB
          > of data. What is the best way to back up these to DVDs. I'd prefer
          > to do an initial backup on a set of 3 ~ 4 DVDs and then do an
          > incremental backup ....

          Everyone has their favourite products... I use two products with
          Windows:

          - HandyBackup http://www.handybackup.net/
          - Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/

          Both write to DVD and offer incremental backups. However, True Image
          provides disaster recovery features that can be a 'lifesaver' (and
          would have resolved Adrian's predicament in a matter of minutes.)

          I tend to use True Image for regular weekly scheduled backups (imaging
          the drive while you work) and HandyBackup for daily scheduled changes
          of my own data. Both products can recover individual files.

          Clearly there are other similar products. These are what I use; I
          think they are excellent products. However, the only recommendation I
          will make is that you should take full advantage of the trial periods
          on offer and decide for yourself. Unfortunately, True Image only comes
          as a demo and won't commit changes; but if you will see how the
          program works (and how quick it is vis-à-vis other drive imaging
          products.)

          BTW, support has been *very* good from both vendors.

          --
          As ever,
          | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
          | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
          |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

          "How often misused words generate misleading thoughts." HUBERT SPENCER
        • Subu S
          Message 4 of 8 , May 11, 2005
            Hello Martin

            Thanks for the quick reply

            > - HandyBackup http://www.handybackup.net/
            > - Acronis True Image http://www.acronis.com/

            I shall try these out

            May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
            freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 8 , May 11, 2005
              Subu,

              One freeware, but not open source, I use SyncBak, it has a free and a
              pro version at

              http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

              It appears that the free version is recently updated, but the tone I get
              from their updated web site is that it may not be around much longer.

              The pay version is $15.00.

              For free and open source, you might try a search of Sourceforge:

              http://sourceforge.net

              I tried the term "backup" and it came back with lots of possibilities,
              but I am not familiar with any of these. I do use several other programs
              that are Sourceforge products, such as FileZilla FTP client, or 7-Zip,
              and am satisfied with them.

              Larry Hamilton
              Kairos Computer Solutions
              http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
              Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

              Message 6 of 8 , May 11, 2005
                Hello Subu,

                On 11 May 2005, 14:17 you wrote:

                > Thanks for the quick reply

                You're welcome. :-)

                > May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
                > freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

                Check out Mondo Rescue. I've used it with Linux but it will run on
                Windows too: http://www.mondorescue.org/.

                --
                As ever,
                | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
                | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
                |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

                "How does a project get to be late? ...one day at a time." F BROOKS
              • Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic
                Message 7 of 8 , May 12, 2005
                  Hello Subu,

                  On 11 May 2005, 14:17 you wrote:

                  > May I also request other members to come up with *open source* /
                  > freeware backup utilities that may be *good enough*

                  Here's another useful source of free software:
                  http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32_freeware.html. You may like to check
                  out Backup4All; see http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/b4all130.html.

                  --
                  As ever,

                  "Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans; it's lovely to be
                  silly at the right moment." HORACE, 65-8 BC
                • Subu S
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 13, 2005
                    Thanks a ton Martin

                    I've checking both Rondo and this one