Re: [NTO] Simple mistake huge consequence

  • Alan C
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2005
      Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold wrote:
      > A friend has this problem. At start up or close down of Windows XP c:\widndows\system32
      > \autoexec.nt keeps disappearing. [ . . ]
      >
      > Something kept losing this file, and in a movement of madness c:\ntdetect.com was moved
      > to the recycle bin, to get it back if there was no improvement. Now the computer does not
      > start at all. The only options the Dell computer gives is F2 or F12 which can do nothing to
      > take the file from the recycle bin to the c drive directory.
      >
      > He fears losing important content in the computer like work files and a large gallery. What
      > can be done?

      Well, Martin posted an excellent answer. But since I'd enumerated the
      methods of which I know about, I'll go ahead and share them.

      1. Can it boot from the (Dell) vendor's cd/dvd disk and get a console
      with which to try find, copy, move the file? Some also have a
      restore/repair option.

      2. Some Win had/have a hidden menu that can get to pop up this menu by
      striking F8 key, must do so after post but just at point immediately
      before Windows normally would begin to load. brings option for boot
      safe mode, etc.

      3. There are freeware DOS utility available for download that allows to
      read, perhaps write, to NTFS file system. When this is used on floppy
      disk # 2 then can first boot it up with floppy disk # 1, a Win 98 boot
      floppy disk then insert disk 2 with the mentioned utility on it.

      4. Knoppix, a Linux live or bootable the OS Linux from this cd disk.

      5. Do you have a network and disk imaging/cloning software then can
      transfer a HD image across the network to a different machine to another HD.

      6. (last resort) I guess if you had to you could remove the HD in
      question and temporarily plug it in onto a secondary drive controller
      onto another machine. Then boot this machine from an HD that's on the
      primary controller. This allows a running PC with which to look at,
      copy, modify etc. the files that are on drive number two.

      Alan.
    • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
      Message 2 of 4 , May 10, 2005
        Many thanks for the answers. The problem is that there seem to be no options other than F2
        and F12. Does a floppy disk have to go in as well? There are a series of options on a menu
        (I'm writing blind here because the computer is obviously not this one) but nothing by which a
        screen appears where even a DOS file management operation can take place. There is a
        Dell progress bar that reaches the end, and then goes from near the end to the end again,
        and again, with only F2 and F12 offered (and which must be pressed as this bar
        progresses).

        I'll study answers already offered. Any further comments given what I have just written would
        be very welcome. I brought the computer here (22 miles), but he has the CD (so afraid of
        losing files if the CD was used) and perhaps I should have had that with me regardless.

        Adrian Worsfold

        http://www.pluralist.co.uk
      • Alan C
        Message 3 of 4 , May 10, 2005
          Options that are set in the bios is what controls what and/or where
          (which media, disk etc. and in what order) the computer can boot from.
          I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of what Dell does or sets.

          I just tried biefly to find some Dell Country (unless it's Dell City)
          specific sorts of things. I found a forum amongst others.

          http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums

          http://support.dell.com/

          http://www.google.com/search?q=dell+support&sourceid=mozilla&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8