Re: [NTO] Microsoft Antispyware.

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2005
      I run both SpyBot and LavaSoft AdAware. Between them they get pretty much everything, I understand.

      I don't run either of them in resident mode, I just run them about once a week.

      Dave S
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2005
        Subu,
        I run Lavasoft and Spybot also. After running them MS Spyware found 5 they did not find. In reverse order each one finds something that the others missed. I run all three at the end of the day when I finish using the computer. All three are free. And all three are very easy to use and the average home user user should have no problems with them. I would carefully run a good virus program before loading them on to the hard drive.
        Ed
        Other than Microsoft Anti Spyware, what other *free* Anti spyware
        are available for Win XPP machines ?

        ---
        Virus Database (VPS): 0518-1, 05/02/2005
        Tested on: 5/3/2005 8:00:43 AM

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2005
          David Smart wrote:

          > I run both SpyBot and LavaSoft AdAware. Between them they get pretty
          much everything, I understand.

          > I don't run either of them in resident mode, I just run them about
          once a week.

          > Dave S
          >
          > By the way
          >
          > Other than Microsoft Anti Spyware, what other *free* Anti spyware
          > are available for Win XPP machines ?
          >
          > TIA
          >
          > Subu

          This is the same combination and method I use with no complaints. You
          can download Ad-Aware SE Personal (free for non-commercial use) from
          http://www.lavasoft.com/,
          and Spybot (donationware) at http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

          I previously downloaded MS' antispyware, discovered that in true MS
          fashion it insisted on making itself resident without asking, to me
          that's very annoying, tested it, removed it and haven't missed it at all.

          There are several 'free' and 'donationware' spyware removers but the 2
          above appear to be very efficient.

          ºvº
          05.05.03
          hrs > hsavage@...
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2005
            There was a pretty good article from PCWorld on the spyware roundup of
            applications that you might like to check out:
            http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,119572,pg,1,00.asp

            I like to be proactive rather than reactive to spyware. While some
            people like Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and Spybot's Search & Destroy program,
            they are both reactive programs. The spyware is already on your system
            and you are forced to use a program to get rid of them. Because of my
            job, I surf in all sorts of areas, check for bad sites, etc. Using a
            combination of software programs will really help make a difference.

            I talk about some of this on my forums (which is a work in progress
            because I've been so busy) just so I can keep track of it all.
            Proxomitron, which I discuss here:
            http://bndservices.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56 is great for
            stopping the installation of spyware via ActiveX controls and the like.
            I use it with IE and Mozilla on a daily basis. That doubled with
            jd5000.net's config set and you are protected quite nicely. There's
            also a Yahoo! Groups for this useful app. I've never seen a pay-for app
            work better than this free one. I truly love it.

            There was another post tat most people look at when configuring their
            workstations to be more proactive at protecting themselves from spyware
            here: http://bndservices.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45 That's
            another work in progress that I want to add to in the near future. It's
            a quick list of items that people can look at and get configured pretty
            easily. I know both posts need work, but it's at least something that
            people can reference and I can build onto it as necessary.

            My main site is getting redone so I don't have a home page at the
            moment. It's best viewed with Mozilla browsers because of the
            transparent PNG support.

            Subu S wrote:

            > Thanks Brian for the detailed reply
            >
            > By the way
            >
            > Other than Microsoft Anti Spyware, what other *free* Anti spyware
            > are available for Win XPP machines ?
            >
            > What is the experience of list members with Anti Spyware ?
            >
            > Which is the best for a non technical, normal Win XPP user - using
            > Mozilla, MS Office etc.
            >
            > TIA
            >
            > Subu
          • Gerard Huijing
            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2005
              Brian Binder wrote:
              > I like to be proactive rather than reactive to spyware. >

              > Subu S wrote:
              >

              >>Which is the best for a non technical, normal Win XPP user - using
              >>Mozilla, MS Office etc.

              More proactive freeware:

              SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster by Javacool Software
              http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

              Gerard

              --
              Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing