Re: [NTO] Microsoft Antispyware.

  • Edward Brown
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2005
      My Microsoft Antispyware is now announcing I have 90 days to download the new version, BUT I cannot find anywhere in the MS pages to download the new version. Any ideas???
      Ed
      Message 2 of 13 , May 2, 2005
        Hello Edward,

        On 02 May 2005, 21:14 you wrote:

        > My Microsoft Antispyware is now announcing I have 90 days to
        > download the new version, BUT I cannot find anywhere in the MS pages
        > to download the new version. Any ideas???

        If you check for updates (File menu) you will probably see that you
        indeed have the most up-to-date version. It's quite common for beta
        software to expire date on a particular date, so expect an update
        anytime before 31 July 2005.

        --
        As ever,
        | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
        | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
        |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

        "The business of everybody is the business of nobody." LORD MCCAULAY
      • Subu S
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2005
          Thanks Brian for the detailed reply

          By the way

          Other than Microsoft Anti Spyware, what other *free* Anti spyware
          are available for Win XPP machines ?

          What is the experience of list members with Anti Spyware ?

          Which is the best for a non technical, normal Win XPP user - using
          Mozilla, MS Office etc.

          TIA

          Subu

          >--- Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:
          >
          >Bill Gates has announced that the software will be
          >provided free of charge (as of now) for people with
          >legitimately licensed copies of their Windows products.
          >This looks to be for "home" users and not corporate
          >customers. As far as I know they plan on releasing a
          >"network-ready" version to help users combat spam on the
          >corporate level. This version is rumored to be a pay-for
          >product but significant details are still lacking.
          >
          >So when MS does release the final version of the product,
          >you'll be able to grab it free of charge as of now. I do
          >believe that they might offer it via Windows Update so they
          >can verify you are using a genuine Windows license. That
          >last sentence is an argument in itself but the details are
          >sketchy at this point in time as to how MS will allow you
          >to obtain the software and use it.
          >
          > mail_to_subu wrote:
          >
          > > ~~~~~~~~~
          > > What happens after July 31, 2005 ?
          > >
          > > Will it become payware or ?
          > >
          > > Any pointers most welcome
          > >

          > > TIA
          > >
          > > Subu

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 13 , May 3, 2005
            I run both SpyBot and LavaSoft AdAware. Between them they get pretty much everything, I understand.

            I don't run either of them in resident mode, I just run them about once a week.

            Dave S

            Message 5 of 13 , May 3, 2005
              Subu,
              I run Lavasoft and Spybot also. After running them MS Spyware found 5 they did not find. In reverse order each one finds something that the others missed. I run all three at the end of the day when I finish using the computer. All three are free. And all three are very easy to use and the average home user user should have no problems with them. I would carefully run a good virus program before loading them on to the hard drive.
              Ed
              Other than Microsoft Anti Spyware, what other *free* Anti spyware
              are available for Win XPP machines ?

              ---
              Virus Database (VPS): 0518-1, 05/02/2005
              Tested on: 5/3/2005 8:00:43 AM

            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                David Smart wrote:

                > I run both SpyBot and LavaSoft AdAware. Between them they get pretty
                much everything, I understand.

                > I don't run either of them in resident mode, I just run them about
                once a week.

                > Dave S
                >
                > By the way
                >
                > Other than Microsoft Anti Spyware, what other *free* Anti spyware
                > are available for Win XPP machines ?
                >
                > TIA
                >
                > Subu

                This is the same combination and method I use with no complaints. You
                can download Ad-Aware SE Personal (free for non-commercial use) from
                http://www.lavasoft.com/,
                and Spybot (donationware) at http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

                I previously downloaded MS' antispyware, discovered that in true MS
                fashion it insisted on making itself resident without asking, to me
                that's very annoying, tested it, removed it and haven't missed it at all.

                There are several 'free' and 'donationware' spyware removers but the 2
                above appear to be very efficient.

                ºvº
                05.05.03
                hrs > hsavage@...
              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                  There was a pretty good article from PCWorld on the spyware roundup of
                  applications that you might like to check out:
                  http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,119572,pg,1,00.asp

                  I like to be proactive rather than reactive to spyware. While some
                  people like Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and Spybot's Search & Destroy program,
                  they are both reactive programs. The spyware is already on your system
                  and you are forced to use a program to get rid of them. Because of my
                  job, I surf in all sorts of areas, check for bad sites, etc. Using a
                  combination of software programs will really help make a difference.

                  I talk about some of this on my forums (which is a work in progress
                  because I've been so busy) just so I can keep track of it all.
                  Proxomitron, which I discuss here:
                  http://bndservices.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56 is great for
                  stopping the installation of spyware via ActiveX controls and the like.
                  I use it with IE and Mozilla on a daily basis. That doubled with
                  jd5000.net's config set and you are protected quite nicely. There's
                  also a Yahoo! Groups for this useful app. I've never seen a pay-for app
                  work better than this free one. I truly love it.

                  There was another post tat most people look at when configuring their
                  workstations to be more proactive at protecting themselves from spyware
                  here: http://bndservices.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45 That's
                  another work in progress that I want to add to in the near future. It's
                  a quick list of items that people can look at and get configured pretty
                  easily. I know both posts need work, but it's at least something that
                  people can reference and I can build onto it as necessary.

                  My main site is getting redone so I don't have a home page at the
                  moment. It's best viewed with Mozilla browsers because of the
                  transparent PNG support.

                  Subu S wrote:

                  > Thanks Brian for the detailed reply
                  >
                  > By the way
                  >
                  > Other than Microsoft Anti Spyware, what other *free* Anti spyware
                  > are available for Win XPP machines ?
                  >
                  > What is the experience of list members with Anti Spyware ?
                  >
                  > Which is the best for a non technical, normal Win XPP user - using
                  > Mozilla, MS Office etc.
                  >
                  > TIA
                  >
                  > Subu
                • Gerard Huijing
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                    Brian Binder wrote:
                    > I like to be proactive rather than reactive to spyware. >

                    > Subu S wrote:
                    >

                    >>Which is the best for a non technical, normal Win XPP user - using
                    >>Mozilla, MS Office etc.

                    More proactive freeware:

                    SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster by Javacool Software
                    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

                    Gerard

                    --
                    Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing