Re: [NTO] Re: Firefox help ... again

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 81 , May 2, 2005
      Christine,

      Forgive my ignorance on the full case history you've built in previous
      discussions with the NoteTab group. I've spent like 5 minutes or less
      looking over the posts you've had in the past with the same subject
      line. Can you try something for me, just for the heck of it? If
      Firefox is truly the only thing you are having a problem with, can you
      download Firefox Portable from here:
      http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/ and extract it to a
      folder of your choosing? Then run firefoxportable.exe (not the regular
      firefox.exe file)

      This will at least allow you to see whether or not it may have something
      to do with your original firefox profile stored on your workstation. I
      normally have issues with FF giving me high utilization when I
      download. It takes forever for the Window to appear. Using the
      ProxySwitch tool also messes with my Firefox something fierce.

      But using the portable version will give you a clean interface with no
      extensions and a new profile. This will give us some good information
      and allow us to see if it's Firefox or profile-related, etc.

      Good idea using Trend Micro for the virus scan stuff. I'm a Kaspersky
      fan myself, but know plenty of people who stay protected with Trend just
      fine. http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=69&mnu=69

      Christine wrote:

      > So here I am again.
      > Note: I've just run Symantec, Panda, and Trend Microsystems' scans.
      > I also
      > have McAfee installed (which missed 5 worms).
      >
      > This darned Firefox is spending 3-5 minutes accessing the hard drive each
      > time I attempt to 1) load a page, and 2) move up or down on an open page.
      > The Task Manager says it's using between 93-97% of my system resources.
      >
      > I'm not trying to load huge Java or Active-X things, just little,
      > text-heavy
      > pages.

    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 81 of 81 , Jul 11, 2005
        Christine,

        The Firefox release notes have some good information:

        http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/1.0.4.html

        The profile folder is located on these versions of Windows, by default
        (It can be specified at another location):

        Windows 2000, XP Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application
        Data\Mozilla\Firefox
        Windows NT WINNT\Profiles\<UserName>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
        Windows 98, ME Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

        There is a profiles.ini, and pluginreg.dat and the directory with a
        "salted" name for each user in the Firefox directory as listed above.

        When you re-install Firefox, just copy the profile folder to the desired
        location, and you should be good to go.

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/