Re: [NTO] Symantec AntiVirus Updates

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
      Do your LiveUpdates manually or switch to a different AV vendor. You
      already see how much you mean to Symantec by getting ignored. It's not
      like the AV engine is worth anything anyway - worst AV detection rates
      I've ever personally seen having used the product in the past. I know
      that I'm Symantec bashing, but a product is only as good as its
      support. Your opinion obviously means nothing to them. Choose a better
      vendor instead of one that just "looks good" because of their marketing
      strategies or popularity. (which goes hand-in-hand with a few companies
      out there...)

      Your LiveUpdates are rebooting your machine (or making the request)
      because it's patching their main software program and not just the
      definitions. There might be an option to only update the definitions,
      in which case you won't have to reboot your client. Then you can do the
      program updates at your leisure. Since I haven't used their software
      since who knows when, I don't know if that option is present in the
      version that you are currently running.

      Mordechai wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I use to update my AntiVirus (Symantec NAV) by "Live Update" every week.
      > Sometimes at end of the update there pops a message that the PC has to
      > be rebooted, and it happens almost always at the most inconvenient moment.
      > There are programs which also require reboot after installation, but
      > they leave the reboot to the user to do it when it is more convenient,
      > but not Symantec. I wrote to them more then twice but it is like
      > "speaking to the wall", OK, so the update will be effective some time
      > later, but they even have not answered.
      > I use to drag that message window to some corner and continue, but
      > sometimes I forget, click on the "X" and the reboot starts and there
      > is no way to stop it.
      > Once I have read somewhere on the net there is a small program to stop
      > such "Auto reboots", if anyone knows about such a program or used it,
      > or has some other "trick" please let me know where to find it

    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 3:22 PM
        This isn't what you asked, but along the same lines if you go to:

        You can download the latest Norton AntiVirus definitions, save it to a flash drive or CD, then take it to each machine you have with Norton AntiVirus to update them all. It does not update the program, only the virus definitions.

        Note that this may not be practical for dial-up accounts as it's about a 7 mb file to download each time. Also note that in order for the updates to work, you must have a valid version of Norton AV installed. In other words, if you try to update the definitions in an expired Norton AntiVirus program, it won't let you do it.

        John