Re: [NTO] Fw: Windows XP Pro Temp folder

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 27 5:28 PM
      Relax...I already answered your post like 15 minutes after you posted
      the first time. Maybe you just skipped it.

      Mordechai wrote:

      > This is the THIRD post of this message!
      > Has nobody an answer, any idea, or what???
    • Mordechai
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 27 6:02 PM
        This is the THIRD post of this message!
        Has nobody an answer, any idea, or what???

        Hello,
        Recently I have noticed my C:\ partition is almost full (I even got some warning message about this).
        Started with the disk clean-up tools, and even cleaned the restore files (except the last one), but still it was not enough.

        So I started looking into each folder and in the "Windows" folder there is a "temp" sub-folder, there I found so many .tmp files (swfxyz.tmp) with sizes starting about 100KB up to 9.7MB, with different creation dates,
        some even a year ago. In this case I ended with 1.700 files = 1.34GB!
        I do not know how and what created these files and why they were not deleted when the reason that created them was closed / gone.

        Temporarily I moved them all into a temporary folder on some other partition (just in case...), it seems that my C:\ drive 'moves faster', and I have not noticed yet anything wrong with my "Windows".

        Note: This folder was not even on the list of the "disk cleaning tool".

        I will appreciate your help about this issue - how do I eliminate the creation of such files, or how get rid of them - not manually as I described above.

        Thanks.
        Mordechai M.
        airflow@...

      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27 6:02 PM
          People ARE answering your question.

          Delete the temp files. You cannot stop new ones appearing - that's where temporary files are placed.

          There are products available which will do a clean-up for you if you don't want to do it by hand. Do an Internet search.

          Dave S

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 28 1:14 AM
            Hi Mordechai,

            > So I started looking into each folder and in the "Windows" folder
            > there is a "temp" sub-folder, there I found so many .tmp files
            > (swfxyz.tmp) with sizes starting about 100KB up to 9.7MB, with
            > different creation dates, some even a year ago.

            I'm no expert, but my understanding is that anything in the Windows/Temp
            directory should indeed be temporary and can safely be deleted if the dated
            yesterday or earlier (assuming you shutdown overnight!).

            As far as I know files only remain there because of ill-behaved/bugged
            software that does not properly clean itself up, or because of program or
            system crashes that prevent normal clean-up-on-exit procedures for
            executing.

            I have certainly deleted shed loads of files on this basis in the past and
            never seen any ill effects.

            Greg
          • Bill Scott
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 28 6:10 AM
              For an aside ... if you run %temp% select all delete and Microsoft spyware
              is running and you cannot delete because one of the files is in use ... then
              shutdown Microsoft spyware first and then do a select all delete.

              Windows 2k:
              If your cleandisk runs slow you can also use the following procedure

              First drive letter:select properties uncheck compress files

              Second: run regedit select My Computer at the top of the list Cntl key F
              (search box) Type (find) Compress Old Delete the folder

              This should make your cleandisk program fly .... Bill
              > So I started looking into each folder and in the "Windows" folder
              > there is a "temp" sub-folder, there I found so many .tmp files
              > (swfxyz.tmp) with sizes starting about 100KB up to 9.7MB, with
              > different creation dates, some even a year ago.

              I'm no expert, but my understanding is that anything in the Windows/Temp
              directory should indeed be temporary and can safely be deleted if the
              dated
              yesterday or earlier (assuming you shutdown overnight!).

              As far as I know files only remain there because of ill-behaved/bugged
              software that does not properly clean itself up, or because of program or
              system crashes that prevent normal clean-up-on-exit procedures for
              executing.

              I have certainly deleted shed loads of files on this basis in the past and
              never seen any ill effects.

              Greg

            • Alan C
              Message 6 of 9 , May 11, 2005
                Mordechai wrote:
                [ . . ]
                > Recently I have noticed my C:\ partition is almost full (I even got some warning message about this).
                > Started with the disk clean-up tools, and even cleaned the restore files (except the last one), but still it was not enough.
                >
                > So I started looking into each folder and in the "Windows" folder there is a "temp" sub-folder, there I found so many .tmp files (swfxyz.tmp) with sizes starting about 100KB up to 9.7MB, with different creation dates,
                > some even a year ago.
                [ . . ]
                how do I eliminate the creation of such files, or how get rid of them -
                not manually as I described above.

                http://langa.com/cleanup_bat.htm

                Just ran across that. Script file can launch or auto launch for
                maintenance cleanup.

                Alan.
              • John Zeman
                Message 7 of 9 , May 12, 2005
                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Alan C <acummingsus@g...> wrote:
                  > Mordechai wrote:
                  > [ . . ]
                  > > Recently I have noticed my C:\ partition is almost full (I even got some warning message about this).
                  > > Started with the disk clean-up tools, and even cleaned the restore files (except the last one), but still it was not enough.
                  > >
                  > > So I started looking into each folder and in the "Windows" folder there is a "temp" sub-folder, there I found so many .tmp files (swfxyz.tmp) with sizes starting about 100KB up to 9.7MB, with different creation dates,
                  > > some even a year ago.
                  > [ . . ]
                  > how do I eliminate the creation of such files, or how get rid of them -
                  > not manually as I described above.

                  Another approach to managing temp files is to change the Windows settings so the temp files are stored where you want them instead of where Windows decides to put them.

                  e.g. in a location like:
                  C:\temp

                  Then you can easily manage the temp/tmp files at your convenience.

                  To do this in XP Pro goto:

                  Control panel
                  System
                  And click the Environment Variables button in lower left corner

                  There, simply add or change the current folder locations for the %TEMP% and %TMP% variables to what you want.

                  John
                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 12, 2005
                    I'd just keep it simple and use a cleaner. Most times, your "temp"
                    variables point to the same spot that you are referring to below. If
                    you just wanted to quickly find out where they were to delete them
                    without using a program it's easy.

                    Start | Run
                    Type in %temp% or
                    %tmp%

                    They'll open up the same folder on most people's machines. Delete the
                    files that are in there and you should be all set. The problem with
                    doing it manually is that you'll normally encounter sharing violations
                    because the temp files may be in use. That's why using a cleaner to do
                    this for you would be my recommended approach.

                    Letting Windows manage the variables has always been the safest bet for
                    people with multiple profiles if they are messing with rights. I've
                    seen this many times. Somehow the rights will have been modified for
                    the "temp" folder on the root of C and then the other profiles don't
                    function correctly because Windows is unable to use the "temp" folder
                    the way it needs to. When you allow Windows to manage it, whenever you
                    create a user account, the rights are guaranteed to all the environment
                    variables that Windows sets for you automatically because it's stored in
                    your profile and not off of a root folder or user-created folder. It's
                    just food for thought.

                    > Another approach to managing temp files is to change the Windows
                    > settings so the temp files are stored where you want them instead of
                    > where Windows decides to put them.
                    >
                    > e.g. in a location like:
                    > C:\temp
                    >
                    > Then you can easily manage the temp/tmp files at your convenience.
                    >
                    > To do this in XP Pro goto:
                    >
                    > Control panel
                    > System
                    > And click the Environment Variables button in lower left corner
                    >
                    > There, simply add or change the current folder locations for the
                    > %TEMP% and %TMP% variables to what you want.
                    >
                    > John
                  • John Zeman
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 12, 2005
                      For probably about 99.5% of the people who use computers, I certainly agree with what you're saying Brian.

                      On the other hand for the geeks like me who write their own scripts (clips and other kinds) every day it's an easy task to maintain the temp files with the tools we already have at our fingertips. I've been processing my temp files with a 4NT script for a long time now and have never had a problem.

                      I also agree that it's all good food for thought here. :)

                      John