Re: [NTO] Microsoft Antispyware.

  • Edward Brown
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 26, 2005
      The Microsoft Antispyware Beta version is great. You don't need to wait for the regular version. I have been using it since it came out and no problems at all. It is updated almost everyday if not everyday.
      Ed
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 27, 2005
        I use Microsoft Antispyware and Scotty the dog ... www.winpatrol.com .... it
        is great software and tells you when anyone trys to change anything alot of
        good info on services and so ... it is free but it was so good that I bought
        the plus software just to keep the guy going it is in the same class a
        Notetab and that is saying something .... Bill Scott
        If you would please post the link to MicroSoft's when it is out of
        testing.
        Some might want the beta version. It is OK to post link, recommend
        software,
        and discuss other than Fookes Software on this list. ;) Don't forget to
        strip
        out text not needed in your reply including att the footer stuff.
        Thanks!

        >In addition to those I also have found Microsoft's Antispyware Beta
        >program to be very effective. I tend to use all three programs, plus a
        >complete McAfee Virus Scan, on a compromised machine just to be on the
        >safe side.
        >
        >All can be configured to stay up to date and scan the system routinely.
        >
        >On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Jody wrote:
        >
        >> Hi Ed & Anjanette,
        >>
        >> >It could be that your browser has been hijacked by adware or
        spyware.
        >> >I've seen an awful lot of that lately where I work. Or it could
        just be a
        >> >problem with that site.
        >>
        >> Adware/spyware on a system can cause some ill effects. You might
        >> try some adware removal tools out like LavaSoft or SpyBot.
        >>
        >> LavaSoft Adware
        >> http://www.lavasoft.de/
        >> http://www.lavasoft.nu/
        >> SpyBot
        >> http://safer-networking.org/en/index.html

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        Service.

        Virus Database (VPS): 0517-1, 04/26/2005
        Tested on: 4/26/2005 7:46:18 PM

        ---
        Virus Database (VPS): 0517-1, 04/26/2005
        Tested on: 4/26/2005 7:53:20 PM

      • Jeffery Scism
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 27, 2005
          I installed teh Microsoft-GIANT antispyware beta 1. I r an it and my
          computer slowed to dead stop and after three hours still has only
          scanned about 10% of my HD. I aborted.

          Jeff
        • mail_to_subu
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2005
            [moderator's note: edited to delete excess text.]

            Hi

            Thanks for the Links to MS anti Spyware

            When I checked the "Terms of Use", it says the following :

            "...TIME-SENSITIVE SOFTWARE. The software will stop running on July
            31, 2005. You may not receive any other notice. You will not receive
            any further updates when the software stops running....."

            So
            ~~~~~~~~~
            What happens after July 31, 2005 ?

            Will it become payware or ?

            Any pointers most welcome

            TIA

            Subu

            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Brown" <ebrown1927@c...>
            wrote:
            > The Microsoft Antispyware Beta version is great. You don't need to
            wait for the regular version. I have been using it since it came out
            and no problems at all. It is updated almost everyday if not everyday.
            > Ed
          • Brian Binder
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2, 2005
              Bill Gates has announced that the software will be provided free of
              charge (as of now) for people with legitimately licensed copies of their
              Windows products. This looks to be for "home" users and not corporate
              customers. As far as I know they plan on releasing a "network-ready"
              version to help users combat spam on the corporate level. This version
              is rumored to be a pay-for product but significant details are still
              lacking.

              So when MS does release the final version of the product, you'll be able
              to grab it free of charge as of now. I do believe that they might offer
              it via Windows Update so they can verify you are using a genuine Windows
              license. That last sentence is an argument in itself but the details
              are sketchy at this point in time as to how MS will allow you to obtain
              the software and use it.

              mail_to_subu wrote:

              > ~~~~~~~~~
              > What happens after July 31, 2005 ?
              >
              > Will it become payware or ?
              >
              > Any pointers most welcome
              >

              > TIA
              >
              > Subu
            • Edward Brown
              Message 6 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                My Microsoft Antispyware is now announcing I have 90 days to download the new version, BUT I cannot find anywhere in the MS pages to download the new version. Any ideas???
                Ed
                Bill Gates has announced that the software will be provided free of
                charge (as of now) for people with legitimately licensed copies of their
                Windows products.

                ---
                Virus Database (VPS): 0518-0, 05/02/2005
                Tested on: 5/2/2005 3:14:33 PM

              • Martin Webster on ntb-OffTopic
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2005
                  Hello Edward,

                  On 02 May 2005, 21:14 you wrote:

                  > My Microsoft Antispyware is now announcing I have 90 days to
                  > download the new version, BUT I cannot find anywhere in the MS pages
                  > to download the new version. Any ideas???

                  If you check for updates (File menu) you will probably see that you
                  indeed have the most up-to-date version. It's quite common for beta
                  software to expire date on a particular date, so expect an update
                  anytime before 31 July 2005.

                  --
                  As ever,
                  | \/ |_ _ _ _| |_(_)_ _
                  | |\/| / ,`| '_| __| | ' \
                  |_| |_\_,_|_| \__|_|_|_|

                  "The business of everybody is the business of nobody." LORD MCCAULAY
                • Subu S
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                    Thanks Brian for the detailed reply

                    By the way

                    Other than Microsoft Anti Spyware, what other *free* Anti spyware
                    are available for Win XPP machines ?

                    What is the experience of list members with Anti Spyware ?

                    Which is the best for a non technical, normal Win XPP user - using
                    Mozilla, MS Office etc.

                    TIA

                    Subu

                    >--- Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >Bill Gates has announced that the software will be
                    >provided free of charge (as of now) for people with
                    >legitimately licensed copies of their Windows products.
                    >This looks to be for "home" users and not corporate
                    >customers. As far as I know they plan on releasing a
                    >"network-ready" version to help users combat spam on the
                    >corporate level. This version is rumored to be a pay-for
                    >product but significant details are still lacking.
                    >
                    >So when MS does release the final version of the product,
                    >you'll be able to grab it free of charge as of now. I do
                    >believe that they might offer it via Windows Update so they
                    >can verify you are using a genuine Windows license. That
                    >last sentence is an argument in itself but the details are
                    >sketchy at this point in time as to how MS will allow you
                    >to obtain the software and use it.
                    >
                    > mail_to_subu wrote:
                    >
                    > > ~~~~~~~~~
                    > > What happens after July 31, 2005 ?
                    > >
                    > > Will it become payware or ?
                    > >
                    > > Any pointers most welcome
                    > >

                    > > TIA
                    > >
                    > > Subu

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • David Smart
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                      I run both SpyBot and LavaSoft AdAware. Between them they get pretty much everything, I understand.

                      I don't run either of them in resident mode, I just run them about once a week.

                      Dave S

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                        Subu,
                        I run Lavasoft and Spybot also. After running them MS Spyware found 5 they did not find. In reverse order each one finds something that the others missed. I run all three at the end of the day when I finish using the computer. All three are free. And all three are very easy to use and the average home user user should have no problems with them. I would carefully run a good virus program before loading them on to the hard drive.
                        Ed
                        Other than Microsoft Anti Spyware, what other *free* Anti spyware
                        are available for Win XPP machines ?

                        ---
                        Virus Database (VPS): 0518-1, 05/02/2005
                        Tested on: 5/3/2005 8:00:43 AM

                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                          David Smart wrote:

                          > I run both SpyBot and LavaSoft AdAware. Between them they get pretty
                          much everything, I understand.

                          > I don't run either of them in resident mode, I just run them about
                          once a week.

                          > Dave S
                          >
                          > By the way
                          >
                          > Other than Microsoft Anti Spyware, what other *free* Anti spyware
                          > are available for Win XPP machines ?
                          >
                          > TIA
                          >
                          > Subu

                          This is the same combination and method I use with no complaints. You
                          can download Ad-Aware SE Personal (free for non-commercial use) from
                          http://www.lavasoft.com/,
                          and Spybot (donationware) at http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

                          I previously downloaded MS' antispyware, discovered that in true MS
                          fashion it insisted on making itself resident without asking, to me
                          that's very annoying, tested it, removed it and haven't missed it at all.

                          There are several 'free' and 'donationware' spyware removers but the 2
                          above appear to be very efficient.

                          ºvº
                          05.05.03
                          hrs > hsavage@...
                        • Brian Binder
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                            There was a pretty good article from PCWorld on the spyware roundup of
                            applications that you might like to check out:
                            http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,119572,pg,1,00.asp

                            I like to be proactive rather than reactive to spyware. While some
                            people like Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and Spybot's Search & Destroy program,
                            they are both reactive programs. The spyware is already on your system
                            and you are forced to use a program to get rid of them. Because of my
                            job, I surf in all sorts of areas, check for bad sites, etc. Using a
                            combination of software programs will really help make a difference.

                            I talk about some of this on my forums (which is a work in progress
                            because I've been so busy) just so I can keep track of it all.
                            Proxomitron, which I discuss here:
                            http://bndservices.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56 is great for
                            stopping the installation of spyware via ActiveX controls and the like.
                            I use it with IE and Mozilla on a daily basis. That doubled with
                            jd5000.net's config set and you are protected quite nicely. There's
                            also a Yahoo! Groups for this useful app. I've never seen a pay-for app
                            work better than this free one. I truly love it.

                            There was another post tat most people look at when configuring their
                            workstations to be more proactive at protecting themselves from spyware
                            here: http://bndservices.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45 That's
                            another work in progress that I want to add to in the near future. It's
                            a quick list of items that people can look at and get configured pretty
                            easily. I know both posts need work, but it's at least something that
                            people can reference and I can build onto it as necessary.

                            My main site is getting redone so I don't have a home page at the
                            moment. It's best viewed with Mozilla browsers because of the
                            transparent PNG support.

                            Subu S wrote:

                            > Thanks Brian for the detailed reply
                            >
                            > By the way
                            >
                            > Other than Microsoft Anti Spyware, what other *free* Anti spyware
                            > are available for Win XPP machines ?
                            >
                            > What is the experience of list members with Anti Spyware ?
                            >
                            > Which is the best for a non technical, normal Win XPP user - using
                            > Mozilla, MS Office etc.
                            >
                            > TIA
                            >
                            > Subu
                          • Gerard Huijing
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 3, 2005
                              Brian Binder wrote:
                              > I like to be proactive rather than reactive to spyware. >

                              > Subu S wrote:
                              >

                              >>Which is the best for a non technical, normal Win XPP user - using
                              >>Mozilla, MS Office etc.

                              More proactive freeware:

                              SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster by Javacool Software
                              http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

                              Gerard

                              --
                              Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing