Re: [NTO] PC power supply dead?

    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 9, 2005
      Hi alice ttlg, Jason...

      Thanks for all the info "guys." Good stuff. I do wonder though if
      one of the main reasons that Windows users have all the spam and
      viruses is mostly not due to MS security, but instead, because of
      the overwhelming amount of Windows users compared to Linux. Also,
      a big factor would be that beginner and novice computer users are
      "all" on Windows, and there are zillions of them. They give their
      eMail address out everywhere, reply to all spam, open any
      attachments they get, etc.

      I also think that Bill Gates is still 75% right that computer
      users want features, not security. I certainly understand the
      cost of ISPs, etc. having to deal with all the spam/viruses, but
      at the same time, I want to be able to do my own configuration of
      protection - I despise having it forced on me. That is, I get so
      aggregated with security features that I cannot turn off that
      cause me tons of extra clicks, unnecessarily. Granted, more
      recently we can go into Admin tools | Services and block a lot of
      it, so at least it is a little better.

      Up until maybe 2-3 years ago I never used anti-virus protection
      and for the 10-12 years prior I only hooked one worm (while
      fishing in Cyberspace ;) maybe 8 years ago - the fireworks one. A
      list member asked me how I liked the fireworks when I did not
      even mention them. LOL I just simply did not open attachments
      unless it was from a well know person and we knew beforehand that
      it was going to be sent or they specifically identified and
      mentioned a number of things to me. My point is, I think the
      majoring of worms and viruses are caught by inexperienced users
      opening all the attachments they get, probably don't use virus
      protectors (up until more recently), and reply to all their spam
      messages/use their eMail address in forms, etc on the 'net.

      >Literally, based on stats from Symantec and confirmed from discussion
      >I've had with AOL abuse staff and other ISPs abuse/admin staff, there
      >are anywhere from 40 to 80 million infected PCs worldwide directly
      >under the control of spammers. And I can certify that half of those
      >infected PCs have attempted to send spam to my little ole server.

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Barry
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 9, 2005
        All ISPs have a 'whitelist' and whatever they agree to put on it is allowed
        access through their servers. A number of people in a forum that I write to
        are AOL members and my mail was originally classified as spam until their
        addresses, at my request, were added to the AOL whitelist. It's a pain I
        know but a way to circumvent the system.

        Take care Barry UK