Re: [NTO] PC power supply dead?

  • Jason W.
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 2, 2005
      On Apr 2, 2005 5:29 PM, alice ttlg <alice.ttlg@...> wrote:

      > And I actually remembered where they were on the motherboard from when
      > I put that computer together, I installed the motherboard myself and
      > read the manual and figured out what wires to connect where and all
      > that.

      Why can't all my clients be like you? LOL

      > That dang switch is not held on with ordinary screws that I can use a
      > phillips on, they're like bolted in with these tiny things, maybe hex,
      > I dunno but there's not much visible to even grab on to.

      Drill a hole on the side of the case and mount a new switch there....
      I say that in jest but I did have a PS2 mouse connector hanging out of
      a hole on an old PC once.

      > Weird thing was - this is my mom's old Dell PC - it has a regular
      > CD-Rom and the CD-RW (which I originally installed) and when I
      > unplugged the CD-Rom and just plugged in the CD-RW, the PC wouldn't
      > boot, it got all tacky that it didn't have the regular CD-ROM. But I

      Probably that BIOS is picky about having a slave drive without a
      master - just a guess :)

      > (And why the heck did Dell have to make the bloody case weigh 25
      > pounds! Dang thing weighs an absolute ton! Of course it does have two

      LOL! My desktop is like that, but because I wanted a behemoth case to work in.

      > I did try swapping out the 256 meg ram from my PC to my mom's - I took
      > out her one stick of 128 meg and put in my two sticks. Plugged in the
      > power cord, it beeps at me and doesn't boot. I play with pulling them
      > out and putting them a few times and finally it will boot if only one
      > of my sticks is in there, put my second stick and it won't boot. I
      > take out my second stick, put her old stick back in and it boots and
      > shows 256 meg of ram.

      Probably your 2nd stick is a slower speed and her board won't take it
      whereas your board would.

      > I know it's not a great idea to use different brands of memory sticks
      > so I'll keep an eye on it to see if starts behaving oddly but if it'll

      That shouldn't make a difference unless one stick is just cheaply
      made. I've got a stick of Kingston and a stick of some other generic
      brand and mine's working fine.

      > So in my old PC, if one of the ram sticks is now bad, it seems more
      > likely to me that the motherboard did go out...

      It's possible but it'd be more likely to have a memory speed issue.
      You can put a faster stick in a slower board but not a slower stick in
      a faster board.

      --
      HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

      Jason

      Gmail invites available - email me *privately* for one OR go here:
      http://isnoop.net/gmail/
      EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about
    • Barry
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 9, 2005
        All ISPs have a 'whitelist' and whatever they agree to put on it is allowed
        access through their servers. A number of people in a forum that I write to
        are AOL members and my mail was originally classified as spam until their
        addresses, at my request, were added to the AOL whitelist. It's a pain I
        know but a way to circumvent the system.

        Take care Barry UK