Re: [NTO] PC power supply dead?

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 2, 2005
      On Apr 1, 2005 1:21 PM, Jason W. <jwellband@...> wrote:

      > An ATX power switch is simply two wires that when the switch is
      > depressed, the wires maike contact. The motherboard manual will list
      > what pins are what (since they're usually on a "brick" with two rows).

      And I actually remembered where they were on the motherboard from when
      I put that computer together, I installed the motherboard myself and
      read the manual and figured out what wires to connect where and all
      that.

      > Don't forget you can replace the switch as well. Most of them have two
      > screws that hold it to the front bezel, remove and take to your local
      > Radio Shack ;-)

      That dang switch is not held on with ordinary screws that I can use a
      phillips on, they're like bolted in with these tiny things, maybe hex,
      I dunno but there's not much visible to even grab on to.

      > > plug in both the CD-Rom and the CD-RW, then I need to find the drivers
      > > for the CD-RW but I should be able to get that off the web and then I
      >
      > Those usually come with Nero or Easy CD Creator - no specific drivers
      > in most cases, even for 98 ;-)

      Weird thing was - this is my mom's old Dell PC - it has a regular
      CD-Rom and the CD-RW (which I originally installed) and when I
      unplugged the CD-Rom and just plugged in the CD-RW, the PC wouldn't
      boot, it got all tacky that it didn't have the regular CD-ROM. But I
      got it all fixed today, got both CD-RWs plugged in and visible in My
      Computer. I'll test out the CD-RW later.

      And I also figured out why mom's old PC always seemed so much slower
      than my PC even tho hers had a faster board and chip than mine - RAM!
      Just trying to open Firefox, mom's old PC was taking forever and
      groaning and moaning and even just trying to highlight five large
      spreadsheet files in My Computer was taking literally a minute. Ouch.
      Even tho I did understand about Windows and how it works with ram and
      swap files and all that, I just never saw that specific a
      demonstration, same hard drive so same basic config, same programs,
      two different PCs with different configs, to really drive home what's
      most important with the programs I use on a daily basis.

      So now I definitely know that when spec'ing out my new computer
      (crosses fingers on current job becoming permanent) what I really need
      is lots and lots of memory. Decent processor speed but even more
      importantly, lots and lots of memory.

      (And why the heck did Dell have to make the bloody case weigh 25
      pounds! Dang thing weighs an absolute ton! Of course it does have two
      old non-connected hard drives in it that I can't remove from the case
      so that's part of the extra weight.)

      I did try swapping out the 256 meg ram from my PC to my mom's - I took
      out her one stick of 128 meg and put in my two sticks. Plugged in the
      power cord, it beeps at me and doesn't boot. I play with pulling them
      out and putting them a few times and finally it will boot if only one
      of my sticks is in there, put my second stick and it won't boot. I
      take out my second stick, put her old stick back in and it boots and
      shows 256 meg of ram.

      I know it's not a great idea to use different brands of memory sticks
      so I'll keep an eye on it to see if starts behaving oddly but if it'll
      work, I really need that 256 meg. It's running so much better with
      that.

      So in my old PC, if one of the ram sticks is now bad, it seems more
      likely to me that the motherboard did go out...

      --
      alice ttlg

      Ramblings from the Idiot Box
      My opinionated opinions about TV and movies.
      http://www.theidiotbox.org/

      Me, Blog/LJ, Links, Whatever:
      http://alice.ttlg.net/

      I know that the object I'm looking at is an Egg - but I also know that
      if it talks to me like a person, it is not an Egg.
      -- Hunter S. Thompson
    • Barry
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 9, 2005
        All ISPs have a 'whitelist' and whatever they agree to put on it is allowed
        access through their servers. A number of people in a forum that I write to
        are AOL members and my mail was originally classified as spam until their
        addresses, at my request, were added to the AOL whitelist. It's a pain I
        know but a way to circumvent the system.

        Take care Barry UK