RE: [NTO] taskbar

  • Dart Chris
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 10, 2005
      If you are talking about XP's task bar you can get hold of the top of it
      with the cursor and drag it up and down as you wish - can take most of the
      screen! ! You can also drag the thing to the left or right side or to the
      top as you wish

      Chris Dart

      +31 43 3296 332

      Maastricht NL

      <http://www.eipa.nl/>

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 10, 2005
        Hi Dart,

        >If you are talking about XP's task bar you can get hold of the
        >top of it with the cursor and drag it up and down as you wish -
        >can take most of the screen! ! You can also drag the thing to the
        >left or right side or to the top as you wish.

        Very true! I was assuming that he did not stack rows of Taskbar
        buttons and does not know about the drag/drop. It doesn't really
        drag taller as the icons stack (that were hidden >>) as far as
        empty space goes - but then, yes, can drag about half screen here.

        <Cute Off-Off Topic>
        One of the nights that I fell asleep at my desk I somehow managed
        to drag my Taskbar to the side. (My wife came in about 6:30 AM
        and woke me - what a neck cramp.) Anyway, I messed with that
        Taskbar for hours trying to get it back to the bottom. I had to
        get my 9 year old son to come show me. Of course they all got a
        big kick out of that.

        When he was 4 he learned how to change the wallpaper on my wife's
        Desktop. She would get me to show her how to change it back. This
        went back and forth a few times and my wife getting a big angry
        at her computer said something like why does my computer keep
        changing my Desktop picture. (She would also forget how to change
        it back.) My 4 year old son was standing behind her one day and
        started giggling. Obviously, she turned around and he was
        grinning from ear to ear, and proceeded to show her how to change
        it back. ;-)

        On his computer he plays all his games with the keyboard and only
        uses the mouse when necessary. I have a geek for a son!!! <bg>
        Too bad I can't get him interested in programming at age 9. ;)
        </Cute Off-Off Topic>

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 10, 2005
          Actually I want it to shrink up to normal size. It is way too tall.
          Won't drag down any further. From the bottom of the screen it extends
          upward about 2 cm and it should be only 1 cm. Yes I know how to drag
          it around the screen and put it at the top, the sides and back home to
          the bottom. It is at the bottom and I want it to stay there, but shrink
          in size.

          Dart Chris wrote:

          > If you are talking about XP's task bar you can get hold of the top of it
          > with the cursor and drag it up and down as you wish - can take most of the
          > screen! ! You can also drag the thing to the left or right side or to the
          > top as you wish

          ---
          Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 03/08/2005
          Tested on: 3/10/2005 2:03:58 PM
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 10, 2005
            Ed

            Sorry if I'm way off here, but you're talking about dragging the task bar to different places (e.g. "drag down") rather than resizing it ...

            You can make the task bar taller / shorter by pulling its top edge up or down. On my Win2k I can make it occupy about half the screen, or make it so short (about 5 pixels) that I can't use it at all.

            The vertical resize is done off the top border of the task bar and shows the normal double-headed arrow as a cursor. Should be the same in XP.

            Dave S

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 10, 2005
              Won't drag down any further. From the bottom of the screen it extends
              upward about 2 cm and it should be only 1 cm.

              Drag down means toward the bottom. It extends up from the bottom twice
              as far as it should. No, No a thousand times no, means that no it will
              not come down and I am not trying to move it per se. Just make it the
              correct size where it is.

              Yes in 2000 I too can make it work that way, but I am in XP Pro and
              for some reason, (that means I do not have any idea what I did)it will
              not come down any further. If you have a centimeter stick Look at it and
              measure your current taskbar and see where it would be two times further
              up, it should measure about 1 cm it currently measures 2 cm and will not
              drag down into the 1 cm area.

              David Smart wrote:

              > Ed
              >
              > Sorry if I'm way off here, but you're talking about dragging the task
              > bar to different places (e.g. "drag down") rather than resizing it ...
              >
              > You can make the task bar taller / shorter by pulling its top edge up
              > or down. On my Win2k I can make it occupy about half the screen, or
              > make it so short (about 5 pixels) that I can't use it at all.
              >
              > The vertical resize is done off the top border of the task bar and
              > shows the normal double-headed arrow as a cursor. Should be the same
              > in XP.
              >
              > Dave S

              ---
              Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 03/08/2005
              Tested on: 3/10/2005 3:21:49 PM
            • John Mitchell
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 10, 2005
                Ed

                Have you specified Small Icons in the customise start menu dialog?
                Do you have two rows of quick launch icons, or just one?
                You did unlock the taskbar before attempting to drag down?

                Regards, John M.

                Ed Brown wrote:

                > Won't drag down any further. From the bottom of the screen it extends
                > upward about 2 cm and it should be only 1 cm.
                >
                > Drag down means toward the bottom. It extends up from the bottom twice
                > as far as it should. No, No a thousand times no, means that no it will
                > not come down and I am not trying to move it per se. Just make it the
                > correct size where it is.
                >
                > Yes in 2000 I too can make it work that way, but I am in XP Pro and
                > for some reason, (that means I do not have any idea what I did)it will
                > not come down any further. If you have a centimeter stick Look at it and
                > measure your current taskbar and see where it would be two times further
                > up, it should measure about 1 cm it currently measures 2 cm and will not
                > drag down into the 1 cm area.
                > Ed
                >
                > The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
                > -- Andy Rooney

              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 10, 2005
                  I have small icons specified and I have one row of quick launch buttons,
                  but instead of spreading out the programs by the clock, they are in
                  three rows. Taskbar is unlocked.

                  John Mitchell wrote:

                  > Ed
                  >
                  > Have you specified Small Icons in the customise start menu dialog?
                  > Do you have two rows of quick launch icons, or just one?
                  > You did unlock the taskbar before attempting to drag down?
                  >
                  > Regards, John M.
                  >
                  > Ed Brown wrote:
                  >
                  > > Won't drag down any further. From the bottom of the screen it extends
                  > > upward about 2 cm and it should be only 1 cm.
                  > >
                  > > Drag down means toward the bottom. It extends up from the bottom twice
                  > > as far as it should. No, No a thousand times no, means that no it will
                  > > not come down and I am not trying to move it per se. Just make it the
                  > > correct size where it is.
                  > >
                  > > Yes in 2000 I too can make it work that way, but I am in XP Pro and
                  > > for some reason, (that means I do not have any idea what I did)it will
                  > > not come down any further. If you have a centimeter stick Look at it and
                  > > measure your current taskbar and see where it would be two times further
                  > > up, it should measure about 1 cm it currently measures 2 cm and will not
                  > > drag down into the 1 cm area.
                  > > Ed
                  > >
                  > > The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
                  > > -- Andy Rooney

                  > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                  > click here
                  > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129omghke/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1110579954/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

                  > Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 03/08/2005
                  > Tested on: 3/10/2005 4:27:02 PM

                  ---
                  Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 03/08/2005
                  Tested on: 3/10/2005 5:19:40 PM
                • John Mitchell
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 10, 2005
                    Ed

                    I did a Google on "xp unable to shrink taskbar" and came across a
                    discussion here..

                    http://www.satelliteguys.us/archive/index.php/t-854.html

                    ..that sounds exactly like your problem. Sadly the debate never gets
                    around to a clear unequivocal solution but there are links that I didn't
                    follow (no time) and other hits that may be of use.

                    Regards, John M

                    Ed Brown wrote:

                    > I have small icons specified and I have one row of quick launch buttons,
                    > but instead of spreading out the programs by the clock, they are in
                    > three rows. Taskbar is unlocked.
                    > Ed
                    >
                    > The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
                    > -- Andy Rooney
                    >

                    > John Mitchell wrote:
                    >
                    > > Ed
                    > >
                    > > Have you specified Small Icons in the customise start menu dialog?
                    > > Do you have two rows of quick launch icons, or just one?
                    > > You did unlock the taskbar before attempting to drag down?
                    > >
                    > > Regards, John M.

                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 10, 2005
                      I went there but my computer does not have the same registry setup. I
                      remember now when it started, in the original XP you could not have any
                      icons in the taskbar. Then some said if you follow these instructions
                      you can insert icons into the the taskbar. I did that and lo the fat
                      taskbar. Now if I can find a way to get get rid of t he icons it will
                      be ck.

                      John Mitchell wrote:

                      > Ed
                      >
                      > I did a Google on "xp unable to shrink taskbar" and came across a
                      > discussion here..
                      >
                      > http://www.satelliteguys.us/archive/index.php/t-854.html
                      >
                      > ..that sounds exactly like your problem. Sadly the debate never gets
                      > around to a clear unequivocal solution but there are links that I didn't
                      > follow (no time) and other hits that may be of use.
                      >
                      > Regards, John M
                      >
                      > Ed Brown wrote:
                      >
                      > > I have small icons specified and I have one row of quick launch buttons,
                      > > but instead of spreading out the programs by the clock, they are in
                      > > three rows. Taskbar is unlocked.
                      > > Ed
                      > >
                      > > The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
                      > > -- Andy Rooney
                      > >

                      > > John Mitchell wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Ed
                      > > >
                      > > > Have you specified Small Icons in the customise start menu dialog?
                      > > > Do you have two rows of quick launch icons, or just one?
                      > > > You did unlock the taskbar before attempting to drag down?
                      > > >
                      > > > Regards, John M.

                      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                      > click here
                      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129eq0pp9/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1110586891/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

                      > Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 03/08/2005
                      > Tested on: 3/10/2005 6:23:02 PM

                      ---
                      Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 03/08/2005
                      Tested on: 3/10/2005 7:41:30 PM