Re: [NTO] Fookes Software on Linux

  • Alan C
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5 1:36 PM
      Hi Larry,

      Can you point me to some getting_started/quickstart_guide, faq etc. for
      myself a first time WINE user?

      I have an up and very fine running Suse 9.2 Pro with WINE also a
      great running Debian Sid box with WINE

      I'm on the Debian right now, writing this in Mozilla mail on the Debian
      Sid its WINE is 200412something_or_other.

      I'm interested to try Notetab on the WINE. I see you updated to the
      latest WINE. I could do so too, either if a package exists or if not, I
      just compile and install from source, try it anyways -- lots of apps,
      that works for me.

      Alan.

      Larry Hamilton wrote:

      >I had time to install and run various Fookes software in WINE and here
      >are the results. I added some notes to my favorite software page.
      >http://www.kairoscomputers.com/favoriteprograms.php
      >
      >They will all launch the update window, but I cannot get it to launch
      >the links in a browser or email program. The option to open the
      >readme.txt errors out since it does not have a default text editor. I am
      >running WINE with a fake Windows environment, rather than installing
      >Windows in WINE. I tried to install Win95, but I could not get it to
      >run. There may be some configuration settings that will avoid having to
      >install Windows.
      >
      >The one thing that seems to be consistent with any program in WINE is
      >that it will install. The trick is to see if it will run.
      >
      >Mailbag installed fine, it has an error after the splash screen, or on
      >start up if the splash screen is turned off, and on exit. Everything in
      >between seems to work. I did not try to reply to an email. I created a
      >mbg, eml, and generic mailbox from sample data. It could then open these
      >archives.
      >
      >Easy Thumbnails installed and created a thumbnail of the sample image
      >with no errors.
      >
      >Album Express Trial version would install but not run. I thought it
      >might be something with the Trial Version, but when I tried my
      >registered version, it would install, but also errored out on start up.
      >
      >I have also updated my notes on NoteTab in WINE. I confirmed that both
      >Light and Standard install and run. I am confining detailed testing to
      >NoteTab Pro for now. The good news is that WINE has gotten better and
      >some things that did not work right in my first test, is working great
      >now. http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/NoteTabLinuxAnalysis.php
      >
      >I am finally getting caught up on some things. So I am investigating the
      >feasibility of going to Linux most of the time. I think NoteTab will
      >work well enough, I just need to make sure MS-Money and my tax program
      >will run.
      >
      >I was surprised by the other software that ran without error. WINE is
      >getting better all the time, and Linux equivalents of different programs
      >are getting better. The hardest part will be convincing my wife to
      >change, but thankfully she only does s few letters, email, and web surfing.

    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6 12:54 AM

        --
        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6 1:15 PM
          Alan,

          I used Synaptic to update to the latest WINE, from the Fedora Core 3
          repositories. That made it very easy.

          To install a program just cd to the directory with the exe and do "wine
          setup.exe" or similar. Or you can associate WINE with exes. Once a
          program is installed in WINE, you can click/double-click the exe and it
          will start. If you tell it to create a desktop shortcut, in the install,
          you can use that too.

          I dumped all my setup.exe's into a FAT partition (The Kernel I updated
          to broke my NTFS support and I have not taken the time to fix it.) and
          used the WINE command line. If WINE is set up correctly, you will get
          the WINE environment window and the familiar first screen of the install.

          It is not nearly as cryptic as it used to be. I found that the January
          version of WINE solved a few issues.

          My initial foray into using NoteTab involved just copying the directory
          to a FAT partition and then copying into the WINE Windows structure.

          WINE is usually under the home directory of the user with the familiar
          directory structure of Windows. That is, a folder called Windows,
          Program Files, etc.

          I am in my Windows partition right now, so I am doing this from memory.

          I do have my Linux bookmarks where I can get to them.

          WINE is on Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/

          Here is one on how to install IE 6, I guess to test how a non-standard
          browser with market share will render a web page. ;-)
          http://patrick.spacesurfer.com/ie_wine_install.html

          WINE homepage: http://www.winehq.com/

          I see that they have a new release from February 11, that adds some more
          OLE fixes. That may help with the apps that had issues when I tested them.

          Here is an important How To:

          http://www.winehq.com/site/howto

          Debian users are cautioned that the latest packages of WINE from Debian
          are way out of date, but they have an apt repository. That ought to
          solve your problem.

          Here is one very helpful site: http://www.frankscorner.org/

          Here is one if you want to spend money, an emulator based on WINE:
          http://www.codeweavers.com/, these are the people of CrossOver Office,
          that focus on getting MS-Office to run on Linux.

          Here is WineTools, a utility to install many apps under Linux:
          http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/

          Here is a link to some configuration setup utilities.
          http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/config-helper-programs

          winesetuptk is one that I found and I think it comes with the WINE
          install. It configures the files and directory structure of the fake
          Windows install.

          Here is a link to an RPM:
          http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=8&q=http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/sourceforge/w/wi/wine/winesetuptk-0-73.i586.html&e=9901

          I found one really helpful site, but it is not in my bookmarks. :-(
          winehq .com has gotten more user friendly than when I was first getting
          WINE running, so one should not have to try to Google for WINE and skip
          the sites dedicated to the drink.

          I just installed the update over the old and it seemed to work fine.
          That is not the recommended method. ;-) There are lots of hints at
          winehq and the others for tweaking settings and installing pieces of
          Windows functionality that may help. I think my setup is working
          remarkably well for not taking the time to try the long list of
          suggestions. I am sure trying those things will probably resolve many
          issues. I know that they are working to make WINE more like "off the
          shelf" Windows, so that you run one install and you're done.
          http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/config-helper-programs

          That ought to get your started. Let me know how it goes. We probably
          better take this off list unless there are others that want all the details.

          I think that I will try a fresh install of WINE and try all the
          suggested tips & tricks and see what that does (No telling when...). I
          will also try to distill the steps into a document to post online. That
          should be helpful for others wanting to do NoteTab and other Fookes
          software on Linux.

          Larry Hamilton
          Kairos Computer Solutions

          Alan C wrote:
          > Hi Larry,
          >
          > Can you point me to some getting_started/quickstart_guide, faq etc. for
          > myself a first time WINE user?
          >
          > I have an up and very fine running Suse 9.2 Pro with WINE also a
          > great running Debian Sid box with WINE
          >
          > I'm on the Debian right now, writing this in Mozilla mail on the Debian
          > Sid its WINE is 200412something_or_other.
          >
          > I'm interested to try Notetab on the WINE. I see you updated to the
          > latest WINE. I could do so too, either if a package exists or if not, I
          > just compile and install from source, try it anyways -- lots of apps,
          > that works for me.
          >
          > Alan.
        • lm_hamilton
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6 9:10 PM
            Alan, and others,

            I just tried the winetools utility. I learned that my wine config file
            is outdated by 2 years. Correcting this little issue solved some of
            the problems I reported in NoteTab and the other Fookes software. I
            have a confused install of wine and a fake Windows directory. Once I
            clean that up, I will be better able to explain things to others.

            This resolved the size of fonts and some other issues.

            To get started, install WINE, then use the winetools.

            Here is WineTools, a utility to install many apps under Linux:
            http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/

            WineTools urges the user to install IE6, which I do not have room for
            right now.

            In my quick studies, I learned that there is an Explorer like program
            called winefile. It looks like the old Win3.x file manager.

            Things have come a long way since I started this two years ago. Having
            the right structure to my config file made a big difference.

            I wanted to share this clarification ASAP to save others from some
            headaches. If you have WINE from a year or more ago, a totally clean
            install plus using WineTools, a nice GUI, will make it a lot easier to
            get going.

            HTH,

            Larry Hamilton