Re: [NTO] Firefox help

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 81 , Mar 4, 2005
      Greg Chapman wrote:

      >I remember such monsters well! My first "Data Processing" tutor started his
      >first lesson by talking about how there were only four people in the world
      >who it was reckoned could multiply at the time of that famous census around
      >0 BC. (I had total belief after attempting it without mentally converting
      >all the Roman numbers to denary!)
      >
      >He went on to reminisces about his first programming job, involving a myriad
      >of wires and jack plugs, and how no one dared write a program that would run
      >for more than five minutes, because the computer would certainly blow a
      >valve before the sixth minute, totally destroying the job!
      >
      >It was only the year before our group that they had given up presenting
      >students with a roll of punched tape and telling that that the first
      >question in the exam had to be read with the naked eye from it!
      >
      >Happy Days!
      >
      >Greg

      I think I came in a bit later, They had Keypunches ( which didn't last long- thank God) - and magnetic "core" storage.

      Disc Storage was a nightmare, and I remember drive disks about 6 inches thick and a foot or more across, weighed about 75 lbs.

      About the time I got proficient in writing Basic, and using the 031 IBM keypunch, I dropped the program and went into the military.

      8 years later PCs came out.

      Jeff

      ~~~
      Jeff Scism, IBSSG
      Scismgenie@...

      Crowley/Croley/Crawley DNA project
      http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=B82518
      http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/crowley/
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 81 of 81 , Jul 11, 2005
        Christine,

        The Firefox release notes have some good information:

        http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/1.0.4.html

        The profile folder is located on these versions of Windows, by default
        (It can be specified at another location):

        Windows 2000, XP Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application
        Data\Mozilla\Firefox
        Windows NT WINNT\Profiles\<UserName>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
        Windows 98, ME Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

        There is a profiles.ini, and pluginreg.dat and the directory with a
        "salted" name for each user in the Firefox directory as listed above.

        When you re-install Firefox, just copy the profile folder to the desired
        location, and you should be good to go.

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/