Re: RE: [NTO] Firefox help

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 81 , Feb 28, 2005
      Christine/Josh/Don:

      Christine: > ...tab browser extensions...?
      > I'm already rebuilding my main machine because I messed
      > (again) with too much incompatible free and shareware!
      > <LOL> Do I need to fear? Or at least worry?

      Since Firefox version 1.0 most extensions can be easily and safely
      installed/disabled/uninstalled - YMMV :-)

      I'd used TabBrowserExtension for some time in previous releases but
      apparently it takes a rather heavy handed approach to replacing core pieces
      of Firefox. This fairly new extension:
      TabMix - http://hemiolapei.free.fr/divers/tabmix/tabmix.html.en seems to do
      a pretty good job of providing most of the functionality previously only
      available by using TBE (TabBrowserExtension) or else a host of smaller
      single purpose extensions some of which confilicted with each other.

      I just checked the options and it *does* include support for "Tabs at
      bottom" though I've never liked that style myself.

      Regards ... Alec
      --
      ( ) { } [ ] \ | 9 0 + = () {} []

      Message 81 of 81 , Jul 11, 2005
        Christine,

        The Firefox release notes have some good information:

        http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/1.0.4.html

        The profile folder is located on these versions of Windows, by default
        (It can be specified at another location):

        Windows 2000, XP Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application
        Data\Mozilla\Firefox
        Windows NT WINNT\Profiles\<UserName>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
        Windows 98, ME Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

        There is a profiles.ini, and pluginreg.dat and the directory with a
        "salted" name for each user in the Firefox directory as listed above.

        When you re-install Firefox, just copy the profile folder to the desired
        location, and you should be good to go.

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/