Re: [NTO] Where's the Thunderbird Option to Queue Mail?

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
      Jody wrote:
      > Hi Wayne, Don, Melchoir...

      >> Jody wrote:

      Jody,

      If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
      the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
      a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
      file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
      to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.

      >> In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
      >>
      >> Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
      >>
      >> Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
      >> and click the open button.

      ºvº
      05.02.20
      hrs > hsavage@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
        Hi hsavage,

        Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
        confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
        The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
        the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
        look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
        program.

        > >> Jody wrote:
        >
        >Jody,
        >
        >If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
        >the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
        >a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
        >file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
        >to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.
        >
        > >> In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
        > >>
        > >> Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
        > >>
        > >> Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
        > >> and click the open button.

        Take care,
        Jody Adair

        and even thou doest err some! ;)
        http://clean-funnies.com
        http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
      • Dennis Cummins
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
          Hi Jody,

          It downloads as an xpi here.

          --
          Dennis
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
            Jody wrote:
            > Hi hsavage,
            >
            > Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
            > confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
            > The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
            > the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
            > look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
            > program.

            > Take care,
            > Jody Adair

            Jody,

            Yes I did try it, and it downloaded as an .xpi file. I'll have
            another look at the page, maybe there's a second link for
            downloading the produces a .zip file.

            The link I clicked was the word 'Download' in red letters in the
            same box as the description of Magicslr.

            "Download Version: 0.9.0 Released: 2005-01-05 Size: 65KB OS:
            Windows"

            In the past, the preferred method of downloading extensions was,
            right-click the word Download, then click 'Save Link Target
            As...'. Possibly your browser of choice doesn't have that choice
            when right-clicking a link.

            Anyway, no matter how I do it, it's an .xpi file.

            ºvº
            05.02.20
            hrs > hsavage@...
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
              I tried it and it did not download as a zip. It downloaded is working.
              Ed

              If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
              -- Mark Twain

              Jody wrote:

              > Hi hsavage,
              >
              > Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
              > confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
              > The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
              > the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
              > look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
              > program.

              > >Jody,
              > >
              > >If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
              > >the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
              > >a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
              > >file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
              > >to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.

              > Take care,
              > Jody Adair
              >
              > The whole world doth err save you and me,
              > and even thou doest err some! ;)
              > http://clean-funnies.com
              > http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
              >

              > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291ce4ii/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1109030448/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ikas1ih/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1108944048619744>
              >

              > Get unlimited calls to
              >
              > U.S./Canada
              >
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291ce4ii/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1109030448/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ikas1ih/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1108944048619744>

              > Virus Database (VPS): 0507-4, 02/18/2005
              > Tested on: 2/20/2005 6:01:32 PM

              ---
              Virus Database (VPS): 0507-4, 02/18/2005
              Tested on: 2/20/2005 6:56:12 PM
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                >Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                >confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.

                It gets renamed only if you download with IE... I have no idea what they
                (mozilla or MS?) are up to.

                Just delete the added .zip extension, I guess (I don't really know what a
                xpi file is supposed to do). Likewise, if I rename my successfully
                downloaded magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi to .zip it happily opens as a zip... Sigh.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                  Hi All,

                  Thanks! That makes me feel much better and my apologies to
                  anybody that may have got a bit tee'd off at me for talking about
                  geeks and idiots. <g> Must be something on my machine. Maybe the
                  browser; I'll try another later just to see if I can find the
                  problem of the renaming to zip here.

                  Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                  WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                  standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                  unzips the jar, etc, and installs.

                  I had originally downloaded in NetCaptor, and just did a FireFox.
                  FireFox does not change the extension. So, I needed to see if it
                  was a NetCaptor or IE thing, and leave it to MS, IE is the
                  culprit that renames the xpi to zip. Maybe IE actually looks into
                  the file to check for viruses or what have you and sees that it
                  is a zip format and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                  thinking they know best. <g>

                  So, at least if the problems appears again, we'll know what to
                  tell the person who needs to install their .zipxpi extension. <g>
                  The zip will work fine in at least Thunderbird, so I image
                  FireFox will work the same way. Just click on the All Files in
                  order to see the zip from the Extension dialog and it'll do its
                  thing just as if it had the xpi extension.

                  >> Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all
                  >> the confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a
                  >> zip.
                  >>
                  >> this one: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/magicslr

                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                    Jody wrote:
                    > Hi All,
                    >
                    > Thanks! That makes me feel much better and my apologies to
                    > anybody that may have got a bit tee'd off at me for talking about
                    > geeks and idiots.
                    >
                    > Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                    > WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                    > standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                    > unzips the jar, etc, and installs.
                    >
                    > and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                    > thinking they know best. <g>
                    >
                    > Happy Topics,
                    > Jody

                    Jody, all,

                    The impression that .xpi is .zip in disguise may be valid, still,
                    in MagicSlr and other .xpi files there are additional support
                    files and I doubt they are utilized if the file is unzipped
                    beforehand.

                    Example, within MagicSlr is a .jar file and 2 support files, 1
                    with data I can't guess about and 1 with entries for the prefs
                    file to accommodate MagicSlr.

                    ºvº
                    05.02.20
                    hrs > hsavage@...
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 21, 2005
                      Hi hsavage,

                      > > Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                      > > WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                      > > standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                      > > unzips the jar, etc, and installs.
                      > >
                      > > and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                      > > thinking they know best. <g>
                      > >
                      > > Happy Topics,
                      > > Jody
                      >
                      >The impression that .xpi is .zip in disguise may be valid, still,
                      >in MagicSlr and other .xpi files there are additional support
                      >files and I doubt they are utilized if the file is unzipped
                      >beforehand.

                      No, they do not seem to be made so that one can manually install
                      them. I have only used .xpi files with Mozilla extensions and
                      since it said .xpi at the site I naturally assumed that the .xpi
                      was zipped. That led into trying to manually install it hoping
                      Thunderbird would "pick it up" and start using it. The last
                      wishful thinking wild thing I tried was to try to install the MS
                      renamed zip file into Thunderbird just because I tried everything
                      else and it worked. <g>

                      See ya in the funnies,
                      Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                      http://www.clean-funnies.com