Re: [NTO] Where's the Thunderbird Option to Queue Mail?

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005

      Jody wrote:
      > It sounds like what I want, but there is no xpi file to install
      > the extension. I extracted the files to the Extensions folder,
      > and then extracted the .jar file, but no luck. I'm pretty much at
      > a loss when it comes to the mozilla/sourceforge,linux, etc.
      > stuff. It's all geek speak to me. ;)

      In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.

      Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.

      Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
      and click the open button.
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
        Hi Wayne, Don, Melchoir...

        >>> I think you will find an extension for this purpose. Maybe
        >>> this one: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/magicslr
        >
        >Jody wrote:
        >> It sounds like what I want, but there is no xpi file to install
        >> the extension. I extracted the files to the Extensions folder,
        >> and then extracted the .jar file, but no luck. I'm pretty much
        >> at a loss when it comes to the mozilla/sourceforge,linux, etc.
        >> stuff. It's all geek speak to me. ;)
        >
        >In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
        >
        >Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
        >
        >Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
        >and click the open button.

        Thanks all; the short of it is I got it working, but you have to
        be an idiot or a geek to do it. I claim to be an idiot and
        stumbled across it. If you feel like reading my rambling...

        No .jar file to be found except in the zip. I had already tried
        unzipping, going to the folder with the jar, extracting it - all
        that I did under the Extensions folder. Next I tried All Files in
        the Extensions dialog and tried the jar file in it. It then tries
        to go online to fine the install.rtf which is in the folder
        structure. <g> Online at the home page of the author they say it
        is an xpi file which I figured is what is needed to install
        extensions since that's the only choice in the Extensions dialog
        and like FireFox. So, I figured, well, these geeks don't tell you
        much so I just installed the zip file. LOL Well, it worked just
        fine. I guess they renamed it zip for downloading, but don't tell
        you to install it like a xpi. Furthermore, WinZip unzips it. :)
        I renamed it to xpi anyway and put it in my mail program store
        folder under Thunderbird.

        The Send Later button is actually in the Compose Toolbar, and may
        have been there all along. I just missed it. In all fairness, the
        author does a great job at his site showing all the graphics etc.
        for configuration, but just left out the part about how to
        install the ZIP file. <g> I may have missed it, but it sure isn't
        obvious.

        I guess to those of you who use Mozilla products/sourceforge/Linux;
        all this stuff is a give, "everybody" knows how to do it. They go
        through so much techie stuff, documentation, etc., but always
        seem to leave out just a few plain sentences on how to install.
        Even downloads are hard to find at times for me. Maybe I am just
        too Windows spoiled/oriented and anything outside that is like
        outer space, a new frontier to me with no map. :)

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
          Jody wrote:
          > Hi Wayne, Don, Melchoir...

          >> Jody wrote:

          Jody,

          If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
          the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
          a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
          file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
          to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.

          >> In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
          >>
          >> Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
          >>
          >> Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
          >> and click the open button.

          ºvº
          05.02.20
          hrs > hsavage@...
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
            Hi hsavage,

            Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
            confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
            The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
            the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
            look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
            program.

            > >> Jody wrote:
            >
            >Jody,
            >
            >If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
            >the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
            >a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
            >file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
            >to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.
            >
            > >> In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
            > >>
            > >> Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
            > >>
            > >> Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
            > >> and click the open button.

            Take care,
            Jody Adair

            and even thou doest err some! ;)
            http://clean-funnies.com
            http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
          • Dennis Cummins
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
              Hi Jody,

              It downloads as an xpi here.

              --
              Dennis
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                Jody wrote:
                > Hi hsavage,
                >
                > Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                > confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
                > The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
                > the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
                > look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
                > program.

                > Take care,
                > Jody Adair

                Jody,

                Yes I did try it, and it downloaded as an .xpi file. I'll have
                another look at the page, maybe there's a second link for
                downloading the produces a .zip file.

                The link I clicked was the word 'Download' in red letters in the
                same box as the description of Magicslr.

                "Download Version: 0.9.0 Released: 2005-01-05 Size: 65KB OS:
                Windows"

                In the past, the preferred method of downloading extensions was,
                right-click the word Download, then click 'Save Link Target
                As...'. Possibly your browser of choice doesn't have that choice
                when right-clicking a link.

                Anyway, no matter how I do it, it's an .xpi file.

                ºvº
                05.02.20
                hrs > hsavage@...
              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                  I tried it and it did not download as a zip. It downloaded is working.
                  Ed

                  If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
                  -- Mark Twain

                  Jody wrote:

                  > Hi hsavage,
                  >
                  > Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                  > confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
                  > The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
                  > the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
                  > look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
                  > program.

                  > >Jody,
                  > >
                  > >If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
                  > >the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
                  > >a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
                  > >file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
                  > >to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.

                  > Take care,
                  > Jody Adair
                  >
                  > The whole world doth err save you and me,
                  > and even thou doest err some! ;)
                  > http://clean-funnies.com
                  > http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                  >

                  > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                  > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291ce4ii/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1109030448/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ikas1ih/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1108944048619744>
                  >

                  > Get unlimited calls to
                  >
                  > U.S./Canada
                  >
                  > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291ce4ii/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1109030448/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ikas1ih/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1108944048619744>

                  > Virus Database (VPS): 0507-4, 02/18/2005
                  > Tested on: 2/20/2005 6:01:32 PM

                  ---
                  Virus Database (VPS): 0507-4, 02/18/2005
                  Tested on: 2/20/2005 6:56:12 PM
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                    >Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                    >confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.

                    It gets renamed only if you download with IE... I have no idea what they
                    (mozilla or MS?) are up to.

                    Just delete the added .zip extension, I guess (I don't really know what a
                    xpi file is supposed to do). Likewise, if I rename my successfully
                    downloaded magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi to .zip it happily opens as a zip... Sigh.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                      Hi All,

                      Thanks! That makes me feel much better and my apologies to
                      anybody that may have got a bit tee'd off at me for talking about
                      geeks and idiots. <g> Must be something on my machine. Maybe the
                      browser; I'll try another later just to see if I can find the
                      problem of the renaming to zip here.

                      Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                      WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                      standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                      unzips the jar, etc, and installs.

                      I had originally downloaded in NetCaptor, and just did a FireFox.
                      FireFox does not change the extension. So, I needed to see if it
                      was a NetCaptor or IE thing, and leave it to MS, IE is the
                      culprit that renames the xpi to zip. Maybe IE actually looks into
                      the file to check for viruses or what have you and sees that it
                      is a zip format and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                      thinking they know best. <g>

                      So, at least if the problems appears again, we'll know what to
                      tell the person who needs to install their .zipxpi extension. <g>
                      The zip will work fine in at least Thunderbird, so I image
                      FireFox will work the same way. Just click on the All Files in
                      order to see the zip from the Extension dialog and it'll do its
                      thing just as if it had the xpi extension.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                        Jody wrote:
                        > Hi All,
                        >
                        > Thanks! That makes me feel much better and my apologies to
                        > anybody that may have got a bit tee'd off at me for talking about
                        > geeks and idiots.
                        >
                        > Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                        > WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                        > standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                        > unzips the jar, etc, and installs.
                        >
                        > and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                        > thinking they know best. <g>
                        >
                        > Happy Topics,
                        > Jody

                        Jody, all,

                        The impression that .xpi is .zip in disguise may be valid, still,
                        in MagicSlr and other .xpi files there are additional support
                        files and I doubt they are utilized if the file is unzipped
                        beforehand.

                        Example, within MagicSlr is a .jar file and 2 support files, 1
                        with data I can't guess about and 1 with entries for the prefs
                        file to accommodate MagicSlr.

                        ºvº
                        05.02.20
                        hrs > hsavage@...
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 21, 2005
                          Hi hsavage,

                          > > Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                          > > WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                          > > standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                          > > unzips the jar, etc, and installs.
                          > >
                          > > and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                          > > thinking they know best. <g>
                          > >
                          > > Happy Topics,
                          > > Jody
                          >
                          >The impression that .xpi is .zip in disguise may be valid, still,
                          >in MagicSlr and other .xpi files there are additional support
                          >files and I doubt they are utilized if the file is unzipped
                          >beforehand.

                          No, they do not seem to be made so that one can manually install
                          them. I have only used .xpi files with Mozilla extensions and
                          since it said .xpi at the site I naturally assumed that the .xpi
                          was zipped. That led into trying to manually install it hoping
                          Thunderbird would "pick it up" and start using it. The last
                          wishful thinking wild thing I tried was to try to install the MS
                          renamed zip file into Thunderbird just because I tried everything
                          else and it worked. <g>

                          See ya in the funnies,
                          Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                          http://www.clean-funnies.com