Re: [NTO] Where's the Thunderbird Option to Queue Mail?

  • Don - htmlfixit.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
      Jody wrote:
      > Hi Anybody,
      >
      > Where's the Thunderbird option to queue mail instead of Send
      > right away, so I can just send a bunch at one time and not have
      > to wait for the message to get sent before I can do more work?
      >
      > Oh, I found a File | Send Later. Anything easier, like a when I
      > press Send put message in Queue or Send Later? :) Please do not
      > give me the keyboard shortcut. <g> Well, I guess I might learn
      > Ctrl+Shift+Enter after a year or 2, or, 3...
      >
      > Happy Topics,
      > Jody

      Hi Jody,

      I think you will find an extension for this purpose. Maybe this one:
      http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/magicslr

      Check here for some others, but watch carefully what version they apply
      to as some are for eariler versions of Thunderbird.
      http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/main.php/Thunderbird

      Extensions in firefox and mozilla are the bomb when you find the right ones.

      Don
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
        Hi Don and Melchior,

        Thanks!

        >I think you will find an extension for this purpose. Maybe this one:
        >http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/magicslr

        It sounds like what I want, but there is no xpi file to install
        the extension. I extracted the files to the Extensions folder,
        and then extracted the .jar file, but no luck. I'm pretty much at
        a loss when it comes to the mozilla/sourceforge,linux, etc.
        stuff. It's all geek speak to me. ;)

        Thanks!
        See ya in the funnies!
        http://www.clean-funnies.com
        http://www.sojourner.us/software
        notetab.net, fookes.us, purewords.org

      • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005

          Jody wrote:
          > It sounds like what I want, but there is no xpi file to install
          > the extension. I extracted the files to the Extensions folder,
          > and then extracted the .jar file, but no luck. I'm pretty much at
          > a loss when it comes to the mozilla/sourceforge,linux, etc.
          > stuff. It's all geek speak to me. ;)

          In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.

          Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.

          Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
          and click the open button.
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
            Hi Wayne, Don, Melchoir...

            >>> I think you will find an extension for this purpose. Maybe
            >>> this one: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/magicslr
            >
            >Jody wrote:
            >> It sounds like what I want, but there is no xpi file to install
            >> the extension. I extracted the files to the Extensions folder,
            >> and then extracted the .jar file, but no luck. I'm pretty much
            >> at a loss when it comes to the mozilla/sourceforge,linux, etc.
            >> stuff. It's all geek speak to me. ;)
            >
            >In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
            >
            >Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
            >
            >Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
            >and click the open button.

            Thanks all; the short of it is I got it working, but you have to
            be an idiot or a geek to do it. I claim to be an idiot and
            stumbled across it. If you feel like reading my rambling...

            No .jar file to be found except in the zip. I had already tried
            unzipping, going to the folder with the jar, extracting it - all
            that I did under the Extensions folder. Next I tried All Files in
            the Extensions dialog and tried the jar file in it. It then tries
            to go online to fine the install.rtf which is in the folder
            structure. <g> Online at the home page of the author they say it
            is an xpi file which I figured is what is needed to install
            extensions since that's the only choice in the Extensions dialog
            and like FireFox. So, I figured, well, these geeks don't tell you
            much so I just installed the zip file. LOL Well, it worked just
            fine. I guess they renamed it zip for downloading, but don't tell
            you to install it like a xpi. Furthermore, WinZip unzips it. :)
            I renamed it to xpi anyway and put it in my mail program store
            folder under Thunderbird.

            The Send Later button is actually in the Compose Toolbar, and may
            have been there all along. I just missed it. In all fairness, the
            author does a great job at his site showing all the graphics etc.
            for configuration, but just left out the part about how to
            install the ZIP file. <g> I may have missed it, but it sure isn't
            obvious.

            I guess to those of you who use Mozilla products/sourceforge/Linux;
            all this stuff is a give, "everybody" knows how to do it. They go
            through so much techie stuff, documentation, etc., but always
            seem to leave out just a few plain sentences on how to install.
            Even downloads are hard to find at times for me. Maybe I am just
            too Windows spoiled/oriented and anything outside that is like
            outer space, a new frontier to me with no map. :)

            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
              Jody wrote:
              > Hi Wayne, Don, Melchoir...

              >> Jody wrote:

              Jody,

              If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
              the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
              a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
              file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
              to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.

              >> In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
              >>
              >> Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
              >>
              >> Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
              >> and click the open button.

              ºvº
              05.02.20
              hrs > hsavage@...
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                Hi hsavage,

                Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
                The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
                the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
                look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
                program.

                > >> Jody wrote:
                >
                >Jody,
                >
                >If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
                >the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
                >a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
                >file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
                >to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.
                >
                > >> In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
                > >>
                > >> Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
                > >>
                > >> Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
                > >> and click the open button.

                Take care,
                Jody Adair

                and even thou doest err some! ;)
                http://clean-funnies.com
                http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
              • Dennis Cummins
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                  Hi Jody,

                  It downloads as an xpi here.

                  --
                  Dennis
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                    Jody wrote:
                    > Hi hsavage,
                    >
                    > Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                    > confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
                    > The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
                    > the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
                    > look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
                    > program.

                    > Take care,
                    > Jody Adair

                    Jody,

                    Yes I did try it, and it downloaded as an .xpi file. I'll have
                    another look at the page, maybe there's a second link for
                    downloading the produces a .zip file.

                    The link I clicked was the word 'Download' in red letters in the
                    same box as the description of Magicslr.

                    "Download Version: 0.9.0 Released: 2005-01-05 Size: 65KB OS:
                    Windows"

                    In the past, the preferred method of downloading extensions was,
                    right-click the word Download, then click 'Save Link Target
                    As...'. Possibly your browser of choice doesn't have that choice
                    when right-clicking a link.

                    Anyway, no matter how I do it, it's an .xpi file.

                    ºvº
                    05.02.20
                    hrs > hsavage@...
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                      I tried it and it did not download as a zip. It downloaded is working.
                      Ed

                      If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
                      -- Mark Twain

                      Jody wrote:

                      > Hi hsavage,
                      >
                      > Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                      > confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
                      > The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
                      > the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
                      > look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
                      > program.

                      > >Jody,
                      > >
                      > >If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
                      > >the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
                      > >a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
                      > >file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
                      > >to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.

                      > Take care,
                      > Jody Adair
                      >
                      > The whole world doth err save you and me,
                      > and even thou doest err some! ;)
                      > http://clean-funnies.com
                      > http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                      >

                      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291ce4ii/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1109030448/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ikas1ih/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1108944048619744>
                      >

                      > Get unlimited calls to
                      >
                      > U.S./Canada
                      >
                      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291ce4ii/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1109030448/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ikas1ih/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1108944048619744>

                      > Virus Database (VPS): 0507-4, 02/18/2005
                      > Tested on: 2/20/2005 6:01:32 PM

                      ---
                      Virus Database (VPS): 0507-4, 02/18/2005
                      Tested on: 2/20/2005 6:56:12 PM
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                        >Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                        >confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.

                        It gets renamed only if you download with IE... I have no idea what they
                        (mozilla or MS?) are up to.

                        Just delete the added .zip extension, I guess (I don't really know what a
                        xpi file is supposed to do). Likewise, if I rename my successfully
                        downloaded magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi to .zip it happily opens as a zip... Sigh.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                          Hi All,

                          Thanks! That makes me feel much better and my apologies to
                          anybody that may have got a bit tee'd off at me for talking about
                          geeks and idiots. <g> Must be something on my machine. Maybe the
                          browser; I'll try another later just to see if I can find the
                          problem of the renaming to zip here.

                          Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                          WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                          standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                          unzips the jar, etc, and installs.

                          I had originally downloaded in NetCaptor, and just did a FireFox.
                          FireFox does not change the extension. So, I needed to see if it
                          was a NetCaptor or IE thing, and leave it to MS, IE is the
                          culprit that renames the xpi to zip. Maybe IE actually looks into
                          the file to check for viruses or what have you and sees that it
                          is a zip format and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                          thinking they know best. <g>

                          So, at least if the problems appears again, we'll know what to
                          tell the person who needs to install their .zipxpi extension. <g>
                          The zip will work fine in at least Thunderbird, so I image
                          FireFox will work the same way. Just click on the All Files in
                          order to see the zip from the Extension dialog and it'll do its
                          thing just as if it had the xpi extension.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                            Jody wrote:
                            > Hi All,
                            >
                            > Thanks! That makes me feel much better and my apologies to
                            > anybody that may have got a bit tee'd off at me for talking about
                            > geeks and idiots.
                            >
                            > Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                            > WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                            > standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                            > unzips the jar, etc, and installs.
                            >
                            > and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                            > thinking they know best. <g>
                            >
                            > Happy Topics,
                            > Jody

                            Jody, all,

                            The impression that .xpi is .zip in disguise may be valid, still,
                            in MagicSlr and other .xpi files there are additional support
                            files and I doubt they are utilized if the file is unzipped
                            beforehand.

                            Example, within MagicSlr is a .jar file and 2 support files, 1
                            with data I can't guess about and 1 with entries for the prefs
                            file to accommodate MagicSlr.

                            ºvº
                            05.02.20
                            hrs > hsavage@...
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 21, 2005
                              Hi hsavage,

                              > > Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                              > > WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                              > > standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                              > > unzips the jar, etc, and installs.
                              > >
                              > > and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                              > > thinking they know best. <g>
                              > >
                              > > Happy Topics,
                              > > Jody
                              >
                              >The impression that .xpi is .zip in disguise may be valid, still,
                              >in MagicSlr and other .xpi files there are additional support
                              >files and I doubt they are utilized if the file is unzipped
                              >beforehand.

                              No, they do not seem to be made so that one can manually install
                              them. I have only used .xpi files with Mozilla extensions and
                              since it said .xpi at the site I naturally assumed that the .xpi
                              was zipped. That led into trying to manually install it hoping
                              Thunderbird would "pick it up" and start using it. The last
                              wishful thinking wild thing I tried was to try to install the MS
                              renamed zip file into Thunderbird just because I tried everything
                              else and it worked. <g>

                              See ya in the funnies,
                              Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                              http://www.clean-funnies.com