Re: [NTO] Where's the Thunderbird Option to Queue Mail?

  • melchior prisi
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
      Hi Jody

      ----- on 20.02.2005 03:55 Jody wrote:
      > Where's the Thunderbird option to queue mail instead of Send
      > right away, so I can just send a bunch at one time and not have
      > to wait for the message to get sent before I can do more work?

      There ist an axtension for this:

      http://outbox.mozdev.org/

      »Outbox is a simple extension for Mozilla Thunderbird that adds a Send
      Later button to the Compose windows and Send and Send/Get buttons to the
      main Thunderbird toolbar, thus making the Send Later and Send Unsent
      Messages features more accessible.«

      Regards,
      Melchior
      --
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
        Jody wrote:
        > Hi Anybody,
        >
        > Where's the Thunderbird option to queue mail instead of Send
        > right away, so I can just send a bunch at one time and not have
        > to wait for the message to get sent before I can do more work?
        >
        > Oh, I found a File | Send Later. Anything easier, like a when I
        > press Send put message in Queue or Send Later? :) Please do not
        > give me the keyboard shortcut. <g> Well, I guess I might learn
        > Ctrl+Shift+Enter after a year or 2, or, 3...
        >
        > Happy Topics,
        > Jody

        Hi Jody,

        I think you will find an extension for this purpose. Maybe this one:
        http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/magicslr

        Check here for some others, but watch carefully what version they apply
        to as some are for eariler versions of Thunderbird.
        http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/main.php/Thunderbird

        Extensions in firefox and mozilla are the bomb when you find the right ones.

        Don
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
          Hi Don and Melchior,

          Thanks!

          >I think you will find an extension for this purpose. Maybe this one:
          >http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/magicslr

          It sounds like what I want, but there is no xpi file to install
          the extension. I extracted the files to the Extensions folder,
          and then extracted the .jar file, but no luck. I'm pretty much at
          a loss when it comes to the mozilla/sourceforge,linux, etc.
          stuff. It's all geek speak to me. ;)

          Thanks!
          See ya in the funnies!
          http://www.clean-funnies.com
          http://www.sojourner.us/software
          notetab.net, fookes.us, purewords.org

        • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005

            Jody wrote:
            > It sounds like what I want, but there is no xpi file to install
            > the extension. I extracted the files to the Extensions folder,
            > and then extracted the .jar file, but no luck. I'm pretty much at
            > a loss when it comes to the mozilla/sourceforge,linux, etc.
            > stuff. It's all geek speak to me. ;)

            In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.

            Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.

            Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
            and click the open button.
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
              Hi Wayne, Don, Melchoir...

              >>> I think you will find an extension for this purpose. Maybe
              >>> this one: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/magicslr
              >
              >Jody wrote:
              >> It sounds like what I want, but there is no xpi file to install
              >> the extension. I extracted the files to the Extensions folder,
              >> and then extracted the .jar file, but no luck. I'm pretty much
              >> at a loss when it comes to the mozilla/sourceforge,linux, etc.
              >> stuff. It's all geek speak to me. ;)
              >
              >In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
              >
              >Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
              >
              >Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
              >and click the open button.

              Thanks all; the short of it is I got it working, but you have to
              be an idiot or a geek to do it. I claim to be an idiot and
              stumbled across it. If you feel like reading my rambling...

              No .jar file to be found except in the zip. I had already tried
              unzipping, going to the folder with the jar, extracting it - all
              that I did under the Extensions folder. Next I tried All Files in
              the Extensions dialog and tried the jar file in it. It then tries
              to go online to fine the install.rtf which is in the folder
              structure. <g> Online at the home page of the author they say it
              is an xpi file which I figured is what is needed to install
              extensions since that's the only choice in the Extensions dialog
              and like FireFox. So, I figured, well, these geeks don't tell you
              much so I just installed the zip file. LOL Well, it worked just
              fine. I guess they renamed it zip for downloading, but don't tell
              you to install it like a xpi. Furthermore, WinZip unzips it. :)
              I renamed it to xpi anyway and put it in my mail program store
              folder under Thunderbird.

              The Send Later button is actually in the Compose Toolbar, and may
              have been there all along. I just missed it. In all fairness, the
              author does a great job at his site showing all the graphics etc.
              for configuration, but just left out the part about how to
              install the ZIP file. <g> I may have missed it, but it sure isn't
              obvious.

              I guess to those of you who use Mozilla products/sourceforge/Linux;
              all this stuff is a give, "everybody" knows how to do it. They go
              through so much techie stuff, documentation, etc., but always
              seem to leave out just a few plain sentences on how to install.
              Even downloads are hard to find at times for me. Maybe I am just
              too Windows spoiled/oriented and anything outside that is like
              outer space, a new frontier to me with no map. :)

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                Jody wrote:
                > Hi Wayne, Don, Melchoir...

                >> Jody wrote:

                Jody,

                If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
                the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
                a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
                file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
                to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.

                >> In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
                >>
                >> Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
                >>
                >> Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
                >> and click the open button.

                ºvº
                05.02.20
                hrs > hsavage@...
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                  Hi hsavage,

                  Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                  confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
                  The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
                  the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
                  look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
                  program.

                  > >> Jody wrote:
                  >
                  >Jody,
                  >
                  >If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
                  >the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
                  >a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
                  >file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
                  >to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.
                  >
                  > >> In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
                  > >>
                  > >> Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
                  > >>
                  > >> Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
                  > >> and click the open button.

                  Take care,
                  Jody Adair

                  and even thou doest err some! ;)
                  http://clean-funnies.com
                  http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                • Dennis Cummins
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                    Hi Jody,

                    It downloads as an xpi here.

                    --
                    Dennis
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                      Jody wrote:
                      > Hi hsavage,
                      >
                      > Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                      > confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
                      > The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
                      > the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
                      > look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
                      > program.

                      > Take care,
                      > Jody Adair

                      Jody,

                      Yes I did try it, and it downloaded as an .xpi file. I'll have
                      another look at the page, maybe there's a second link for
                      downloading the produces a .zip file.

                      The link I clicked was the word 'Download' in red letters in the
                      same box as the description of Magicslr.

                      "Download Version: 0.9.0 Released: 2005-01-05 Size: 65KB OS:
                      Windows"

                      In the past, the preferred method of downloading extensions was,
                      right-click the word Download, then click 'Save Link Target
                      As...'. Possibly your browser of choice doesn't have that choice
                      when right-clicking a link.

                      Anyway, no matter how I do it, it's an .xpi file.

                      ºvº
                      05.02.20
                      hrs > hsavage@...
                    • Ed Brown
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                        I tried it and it did not download as a zip. It downloaded is working.
                        Ed

                        If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
                        -- Mark Twain

                        Jody wrote:

                        > Hi hsavage,
                        >
                        > Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                        > confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
                        > The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
                        > the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
                        > look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
                        > program.

                        > >Jody,
                        > >
                        > >If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
                        > >the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
                        > >a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
                        > >file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
                        > >to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.

                        > Take care,
                        > Jody Adair
                        >
                        > The whole world doth err save you and me,
                        > and even thou doest err some! ;)
                        > http://clean-funnies.com
                        > http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                        >

                        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291ce4ii/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1109030448/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ikas1ih/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1108944048619744>
                        >

                        > Get unlimited calls to
                        >
                        > U.S./Canada
                        >
                        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291ce4ii/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1109030448/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ikas1ih/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1108944048619744>

                        > Virus Database (VPS): 0507-4, 02/18/2005
                        > Tested on: 2/20/2005 6:01:32 PM

                        ---
                        Virus Database (VPS): 0507-4, 02/18/2005
                        Tested on: 2/20/2005 6:56:12 PM
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                          >Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                          >confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.

                          It gets renamed only if you download with IE... I have no idea what they
                          (mozilla or MS?) are up to.

                          Just delete the added .zip extension, I guess (I don't really know what a
                          xpi file is supposed to do). Likewise, if I rename my successfully
                          downloaded magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi to .zip it happily opens as a zip... Sigh.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                            Hi All,

                            Thanks! That makes me feel much better and my apologies to
                            anybody that may have got a bit tee'd off at me for talking about
                            geeks and idiots. <g> Must be something on my machine. Maybe the
                            browser; I'll try another later just to see if I can find the
                            problem of the renaming to zip here.

                            Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                            WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                            standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                            unzips the jar, etc, and installs.

                            I had originally downloaded in NetCaptor, and just did a FireFox.
                            FireFox does not change the extension. So, I needed to see if it
                            was a NetCaptor or IE thing, and leave it to MS, IE is the
                            culprit that renames the xpi to zip. Maybe IE actually looks into
                            the file to check for viruses or what have you and sees that it
                            is a zip format and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                            thinking they know best. <g>

                            So, at least if the problems appears again, we'll know what to
                            tell the person who needs to install their .zipxpi extension. <g>
                            The zip will work fine in at least Thunderbird, so I image
                            FireFox will work the same way. Just click on the All Files in
                            order to see the zip from the Extension dialog and it'll do its
                            thing just as if it had the xpi extension.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                              Jody wrote:
                              > Hi All,
                              >
                              > Thanks! That makes me feel much better and my apologies to
                              > anybody that may have got a bit tee'd off at me for talking about
                              > geeks and idiots.
                              >
                              > Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                              > WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                              > standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                              > unzips the jar, etc, and installs.
                              >
                              > and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                              > thinking they know best. <g>
                              >
                              > Happy Topics,
                              > Jody

                              Jody, all,

                              The impression that .xpi is .zip in disguise may be valid, still,
                              in MagicSlr and other .xpi files there are additional support
                              files and I doubt they are utilized if the file is unzipped
                              beforehand.

                              Example, within MagicSlr is a .jar file and 2 support files, 1
                              with data I can't guess about and 1 with entries for the prefs
                              file to accommodate MagicSlr.

                              ºvº
                              05.02.20
                              hrs > hsavage@...
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 21, 2005
                                Hi hsavage,

                                > > Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                                > > WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                                > > standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                                > > unzips the jar, etc, and installs.
                                > >
                                > > and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                                > > thinking they know best. <g>
                                > >
                                > > Happy Topics,
                                > > Jody
                                >
                                >The impression that .xpi is .zip in disguise may be valid, still,
                                >in MagicSlr and other .xpi files there are additional support
                                >files and I doubt they are utilized if the file is unzipped
                                >beforehand.

                                No, they do not seem to be made so that one can manually install
                                them. I have only used .xpi files with Mozilla extensions and
                                since it said .xpi at the site I naturally assumed that the .xpi
                                was zipped. That led into trying to manually install it hoping
                                Thunderbird would "pick it up" and start using it. The last
                                wishful thinking wild thing I tried was to try to install the MS
                                renamed zip file into Thunderbird just because I tried everything
                                else and it worked. <g>

                                See ya in the funnies,
                                Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                                http://www.clean-funnies.com