Where's the Thunderbird Option to Queue Mail?

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 19, 2005
      Hi Anybody,

      Where's the Thunderbird option to queue mail instead of Send
      right away, so I can just send a bunch at one time and not have
      to wait for the message to get sent before I can do more work?

      Oh, I found a File | Send Later. Anything easier, like a when I
      press Send put message in Queue or Send Later? :) Please do not
      give me the keyboard shortcut. <g> Well, I guess I might learn
      Ctrl+Shift+Enter after a year or 2, or, 3...

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • melchior prisi
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
        Hi Jody

        ----- on 20.02.2005 03:55 Jody wrote:
        > Where's the Thunderbird option to queue mail instead of Send
        > right away, so I can just send a bunch at one time and not have
        > to wait for the message to get sent before I can do more work?

        There ist an axtension for this:

        http://outbox.mozdev.org/

        »Outbox is a simple extension for Mozilla Thunderbird that adds a Send
        Later button to the Compose windows and Send and Send/Get buttons to the
        main Thunderbird toolbar, thus making the Send Later and Send Unsent
        Messages features more accessible.«

        Regards,
        Melchior
        --
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
          Jody wrote:
          > Hi Anybody,
          >
          > Where's the Thunderbird option to queue mail instead of Send
          > right away, so I can just send a bunch at one time and not have
          > to wait for the message to get sent before I can do more work?
          >
          > Oh, I found a File | Send Later. Anything easier, like a when I
          > press Send put message in Queue or Send Later? :) Please do not
          > give me the keyboard shortcut. <g> Well, I guess I might learn
          > Ctrl+Shift+Enter after a year or 2, or, 3...
          >
          > Happy Topics,
          > Jody

          Hi Jody,

          I think you will find an extension for this purpose. Maybe this one:
          http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/magicslr

          Check here for some others, but watch carefully what version they apply
          to as some are for eariler versions of Thunderbird.
          http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/main.php/Thunderbird

          Extensions in firefox and mozilla are the bomb when you find the right ones.

          Don
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
            Hi Don and Melchior,

            Thanks!

            >I think you will find an extension for this purpose. Maybe this one:
            >http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/magicslr

            It sounds like what I want, but there is no xpi file to install
            the extension. I extracted the files to the Extensions folder,
            and then extracted the .jar file, but no luck. I'm pretty much at
            a loss when it comes to the mozilla/sourceforge,linux, etc.
            stuff. It's all geek speak to me. ;)

            Thanks!
            See ya in the funnies!
            http://www.clean-funnies.com
            http://www.sojourner.us/software
            notetab.net, fookes.us, purewords.org

          • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005

              Jody wrote:
              > It sounds like what I want, but there is no xpi file to install
              > the extension. I extracted the files to the Extensions folder,
              > and then extracted the .jar file, but no luck. I'm pretty much at
              > a loss when it comes to the mozilla/sourceforge,linux, etc.
              > stuff. It's all geek speak to me. ;)

              In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.

              Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.

              Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
              and click the open button.
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                Hi Wayne, Don, Melchoir...

                >>> I think you will find an extension for this purpose. Maybe
                >>> this one: http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/magicslr
                >
                >Jody wrote:
                >> It sounds like what I want, but there is no xpi file to install
                >> the extension. I extracted the files to the Extensions folder,
                >> and then extracted the .jar file, but no luck. I'm pretty much
                >> at a loss when it comes to the mozilla/sourceforge,linux, etc.
                >> stuff. It's all geek speak to me. ;)
                >
                >In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
                >
                >Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
                >
                >Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
                >and click the open button.

                Thanks all; the short of it is I got it working, but you have to
                be an idiot or a geek to do it. I claim to be an idiot and
                stumbled across it. If you feel like reading my rambling...

                No .jar file to be found except in the zip. I had already tried
                unzipping, going to the folder with the jar, extracting it - all
                that I did under the Extensions folder. Next I tried All Files in
                the Extensions dialog and tried the jar file in it. It then tries
                to go online to fine the install.rtf which is in the folder
                structure. <g> Online at the home page of the author they say it
                is an xpi file which I figured is what is needed to install
                extensions since that's the only choice in the Extensions dialog
                and like FireFox. So, I figured, well, these geeks don't tell you
                much so I just installed the zip file. LOL Well, it worked just
                fine. I guess they renamed it zip for downloading, but don't tell
                you to install it like a xpi. Furthermore, WinZip unzips it. :)
                I renamed it to xpi anyway and put it in my mail program store
                folder under Thunderbird.

                The Send Later button is actually in the Compose Toolbar, and may
                have been there all along. I just missed it. In all fairness, the
                author does a great job at his site showing all the graphics etc.
                for configuration, but just left out the part about how to
                install the ZIP file. <g> I may have missed it, but it sure isn't
                obvious.

                I guess to those of you who use Mozilla products/sourceforge/Linux;
                all this stuff is a give, "everybody" knows how to do it. They go
                through so much techie stuff, documentation, etc., but always
                seem to leave out just a few plain sentences on how to install.
                Even downloads are hard to find at times for me. Maybe I am just
                too Windows spoiled/oriented and anything outside that is like
                outer space, a new frontier to me with no map. :)

                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                  Jody wrote:
                  > Hi Wayne, Don, Melchoir...

                  >> Jody wrote:

                  Jody,

                  If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
                  the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
                  a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
                  file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
                  to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.

                  >> In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
                  >>
                  >> Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
                  >>
                  >> Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
                  >> and click the open button.

                  ºvº
                  05.02.20
                  hrs > hsavage@...
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                    Hi hsavage,

                    Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                    confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
                    The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
                    the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
                    look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
                    program.

                    > >> Jody wrote:
                    >
                    >Jody,
                    >
                    >If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
                    >the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
                    >a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
                    >file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
                    >to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.
                    >
                    > >> In thunderbird, just go to Tools - Extensions.
                    > >>
                    > >> Click the install button the bottom left of the dialog.
                    > >>
                    > >> Browse to the .jar file you downloaded from the extensions site,
                    > >> and click the open button.

                    Take care,
                    Jody Adair

                    and even thou doest err some! ;)
                    http://clean-funnies.com
                    http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                  • Dennis Cummins
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                      Hi Jody,

                      It downloads as an xpi here.

                      --
                      Dennis
                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                        Jody wrote:
                        > Hi hsavage,
                        >
                        > Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                        > confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
                        > The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
                        > the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
                        > look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
                        > program.

                        > Take care,
                        > Jody Adair

                        Jody,

                        Yes I did try it, and it downloaded as an .xpi file. I'll have
                        another look at the page, maybe there's a second link for
                        downloading the produces a .zip file.

                        The link I clicked was the word 'Download' in red letters in the
                        same box as the description of Magicslr.

                        "Download Version: 0.9.0 Released: 2005-01-05 Size: 65KB OS:
                        Windows"

                        In the past, the preferred method of downloading extensions was,
                        right-click the word Download, then click 'Save Link Target
                        As...'. Possibly your browser of choice doesn't have that choice
                        when right-clicking a link.

                        Anyway, no matter how I do it, it's an .xpi file.

                        ºvº
                        05.02.20
                        hrs > hsavage@...
                      • Ed Brown
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                          I tried it and it did not download as a zip. It downloaded is working.
                          Ed

                          If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
                          -- Mark Twain

                          Jody wrote:

                          > Hi hsavage,
                          >
                          > Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                          > confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.
                          > The link in the statusbar says it is an zpi, but look at it in
                          > the download dialog and if you can't trust it, download it and
                          > look at it. <bg> Click on it and I bet it opens in your zip
                          > program.

                          > >Jody,
                          > >
                          > >If you went to the link above and clicked the Download button,
                          > >the file you downloaded should be 'magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi', not
                          > >a zip file. You save it to a folder of choice and that is the
                          > >file you select when you follow the instructions below. Nothing
                          > >to unzip, no .jar file to find, it's all in the .xpi file.

                          > Take care,
                          > Jody Adair
                          >
                          > The whole world doth err save you and me,
                          > and even thou doest err some! ;)
                          > http://clean-funnies.com
                          > http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
                          >

                          > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291ce4ii/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1109030448/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ikas1ih/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1108944048619744>
                          >

                          > Get unlimited calls to
                          >
                          > U.S./Canada
                          >
                          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291ce4ii/M=324658.6070095.7083352.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1109030448/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ikas1ih/*http://clk.atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1108944048619744>

                          > Virus Database (VPS): 0507-4, 02/18/2005
                          > Tested on: 2/20/2005 6:01:32 PM

                          ---
                          Virus Database (VPS): 0507-4, 02/18/2005
                          Tested on: 2/20/2005 6:56:12 PM
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                            >Did you try it? It downloads as a zip file. That's where all the
                            >confusion came from. It says it is an xpi file, but it is a zip.

                            It gets renamed only if you download with IE... I have no idea what they
                            (mozilla or MS?) are up to.

                            Just delete the added .zip extension, I guess (I don't really know what a
                            xpi file is supposed to do). Likewise, if I rename my successfully
                            downloaded magicslr-0.9.0-qute.xpi to .zip it happily opens as a zip... Sigh.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                              Hi All,

                              Thanks! That makes me feel much better and my apologies to
                              anybody that may have got a bit tee'd off at me for talking about
                              geeks and idiots. <g> Must be something on my machine. Maybe the
                              browser; I'll try another later just to see if I can find the
                              problem of the renaming to zip here.

                              Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                              WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                              standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                              unzips the jar, etc, and installs.

                              I had originally downloaded in NetCaptor, and just did a FireFox.
                              FireFox does not change the extension. So, I needed to see if it
                              was a NetCaptor or IE thing, and leave it to MS, IE is the
                              culprit that renames the xpi to zip. Maybe IE actually looks into
                              the file to check for viruses or what have you and sees that it
                              is a zip format and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                              thinking they know best. <g>

                              So, at least if the problems appears again, we'll know what to
                              tell the person who needs to install their .zipxpi extension. <g>
                              The zip will work fine in at least Thunderbird, so I image
                              FireFox will work the same way. Just click on the All Files in
                              order to see the zip from the Extension dialog and it'll do its
                              thing just as if it had the xpi extension.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 20, 2005
                                Jody wrote:
                                > Hi All,
                                >
                                > Thanks! That makes me feel much better and my apologies to
                                > anybody that may have got a bit tee'd off at me for talking about
                                > geeks and idiots.
                                >
                                > Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                                > WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                                > standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                                > unzips the jar, etc, and installs.
                                >
                                > and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                                > thinking they know best. <g>
                                >
                                > Happy Topics,
                                > Jody

                                Jody, all,

                                The impression that .xpi is .zip in disguise may be valid, still,
                                in MagicSlr and other .xpi files there are additional support
                                files and I doubt they are utilized if the file is unzipped
                                beforehand.

                                Example, within MagicSlr is a .jar file and 2 support files, 1
                                with data I can't guess about and 1 with entries for the prefs
                                file to accommodate MagicSlr.

                                ºvº
                                05.02.20
                                hrs > hsavage@...
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 21, 2005
                                  Hi hsavage,

                                  > > Just for kicks I renamed a FireFox xpi to zip and it opens up in
                                  > > WinZip and will extract. So, I figure the xpi format is a
                                  > > standard zip format and the Mozilla family simply unzips it,
                                  > > unzips the jar, etc, and installs.
                                  > >
                                  > > and keeping up with MS tradition they change it
                                  > > thinking they know best. <g>
                                  > >
                                  > > Happy Topics,
                                  > > Jody
                                  >
                                  >The impression that .xpi is .zip in disguise may be valid, still,
                                  >in MagicSlr and other .xpi files there are additional support
                                  >files and I doubt they are utilized if the file is unzipped
                                  >beforehand.

                                  No, they do not seem to be made so that one can manually install
                                  them. I have only used .xpi files with Mozilla extensions and
                                  since it said .xpi at the site I naturally assumed that the .xpi
                                  was zipped. That led into trying to manually install it hoping
                                  Thunderbird would "pick it up" and start using it. The last
                                  wishful thinking wild thing I tried was to try to install the MS
                                  renamed zip file into Thunderbird just because I tried everything
                                  else and it worked. <g>

                                  See ya in the funnies,
                                  Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

                                  http://www.clean-funnies.com