Re: [NTO] I'm back

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
      Hi Randy,

      >In my search for the grail, I periodically, for some years, use
      >NoteTab Pro to edit various stuff, you know, webpages, verse and
      >prose experimentation.
      >I just installed the dictionary and thesaurus to play that way.

      IMO, the thesaurus of thesauruses is WordWeb Pro. There is a
      freeware edition that integrates seamlessly with NoteTab taking
      the place of the one that NoteTab uses. It works the same way as
      far as selecting a word, or placing the cursor over a word and
      pressing F12.

      Look at the bottom of the page for the free edition.
      If you decide to buy someday, please use this link. Thank$ :)
      http://wordweb.info/cgi-bin/cooklinkww.pl?notetab

      Or here if you want to check out the Crossword Compiler (Makes crossword puzzles)
      http://www.crossword-compiler.com/cgi-bin/cooklink.pl?notetab

      >I was wondering if maybe porting NoteTab to Linux and/or Mac will
      >happen someday? I'm guessing the answer is "not really" because
      >those OSs have their environments and NoteTab has its own
      >environment in Windows. Am I far off?

      Like Don mentioned (for Linux), it has been discussed in depth on
      this list. There are others, but Larry Hamilton appeared to have
      a fairly exhaustive post on it at one time on this list. We do
      not have any plans to support MAC computers. We have heard our
      programs can be run on a MAC using programs like Virtual PC.

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19, 2005
        I finally got my NoteTab notes moved to my new website. It is not yet
        linked from the main page, since it still needs some clean up.

        I also have my Linux notes for NoteTab and the various email threads
        involved. This ought to help. It will be even better when I can put
        together a step by step guide.

        Until then, here it is: http://kairoscomputers.com/notetab/

        HTH,

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2005
          Hi Larry,

          Thanks for posting this Larry! How does NoteTab Clip Code fair on
          Linux and what are the best versions to use in your opinion for
          it. I heard Wine (which my understanding is that it can run on
          the different versions of Linux) runs it fairly well, but you
          mentioned other main version types before. My main curiosity is
          the Clip Code.

          >I finally got my NoteTab notes moved to my new website. It is not
          >yet linked from the main page, since it still needs some clean
          >up.
          >
          >I also have my Linux notes for NoteTab and the various email
          >threads involved. This ought to help. It will be even better when
          >I can put together a step by step guide.
          >
          >Until then, here it is: http://kairoscomputers.com/notetab/
          >
          >HTH,
          >
          >Larry Hamilton
          >Kairos Computer Solutions
          >http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
          >Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
          >
          >Jody wrote:
          >> Hi Randy,
          >>
          >>>I was wondering if maybe porting NoteTab to Linux and/or Mac will
          >>>happen someday? I'm guessing the answer is "not really" because
          >>>those OSs have their environments and NoteTab has its own
          >>>environment in Windows. Am I far off?
          >>
          >> Like Don mentioned (for Linux), it has been discussed in depth on
          >> this list. There are others, but Larry Hamilton appeared to have
          >> a fairly exhaustive post on it at one time on this list. We do
          >> not have any plans to support MAC computers. We have heard our
          >> programs can be run on a MAC using programs like Virtual PC.

          Thanks!
          See ya in the funnies!
          http://www.clean-funnies.com
          http://www.sojourner.us/software
          notetab.net, fookes.us, purewords.org

        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 19, 2005
            Jody,

            My second note in the FAQ page I built has my detailed notes from
            January 7, 2004. That was using Red Hat 7.2 and the version of Wine from
            October, 2002.

            I have not done a lot with Linux lately, but it is on my list....

            A short synopsis from those notes:

            Clips work, even one to launch another copy of NoteTab.

            Clip Libraries have problems if their names have leading underscores, or
            any underscores in their names.

            If you set up the browsers.dat, it will launch the defined browsers.

            HTML highlighting works, I do not see a note about clip code syntax
            highlighting, but as I recall that it works.

            Outlines work too.

            Up to the present follows:

            I now have Red Hat Fedora Core 3, and close to the newest version of
            WINE. I have been too busy on some special projects that I do not have
            time to figure out what I need to do to make the things that did not
            work in Red Hat 7.2 work in Fedora Core 3. I do know that the newer
            versions of Linux and the newer versions of WINE, just get better, and
            easier to use.

            I did try to get Linux Perl to work with NoteTab, but that did not work.
            I did not try to get the Windows version of Perl to work. That just
            seems wrong. ;-) I did not have a lot of time when I tried, so the
            problem may have been lack of time to figure it out. I like this puzzle,
            so I will be coming back to it.

            I also like that WINE is free. I know that for about $100.00 you can buy
            commercial products that allow you to run the whole Windows Operating
            System on Linux. I would rather spend the $100.00 towards a new PC, so
            the wife and kids can have the old one. ;-)

            I am also limited because Fedore Core 3 takes up so much more space than
            Red Hat 7.2, that my Linux partition is full. I converted it to EXT3,
            which my version of Partition Magic does not recognize, so I cannot
            increase it. Messing with partitions is one thing I do not feel
            comfortable with on my main PC without a GUI. I also do not want to
            spend money on a new partition manager, when the one I have works fine
            and I have plenty of disk space.

            I need to take the plunge and do a clean install on a larger partition,
            but I cannot do this until I have time to fix it if someting goes wrong.
            I have a partition that has plenty of room, but everytime I mess with
            even an update to the Linux Kernel, it changes my bootloader options and
            I have to go edit it manually. I am not quite ready to have the default
            boot option be Linux. My wife is not up to change on the computer, I
            need to find that Windows XP emulator ;-). But if I can get all of my
            favorite software to work the way I want it on Linux, then I will make
            the switch for sure.

            I do have an old clunker with Red Hat 8 only, so I will try and update
            it. Fedora Core 3 has an "easy" install, but you still need to do a lot
            of tweaking to get it right, especially with a dual boot. I have also
            read that updates of existing Linux installs are tricky. I know this is
            true from my own update from Red Hat 7.2, to Red Hat 8, to Fedora Core 3.

            I need to make my data partition separate from the rest, so I can do an
            update without messing up my data on Linux. None of this is hard, just
            keep in mind all the planning needed to minimize the hassles when you
            get ready to take the plunge.

            I think I did get NoteTab to work in Wine using Knoppix. I will check
            into this too. I recommend getting a Knoppix boot CD to test your system
            to see if it can run Linux before taking the plunge. It can also let you
            play with all the things that come on most Linux distributions. It even
            lets you save your settings. I really like it, since it can be used as a
            rescue CD for messed up hard drives.

            Jody wrote:
            > Hi Larry,
            >
            > Thanks for posting this Larry! How does NoteTab Clip Code fair on
            > Linux and what are the best versions to use in your opinion for
            > it. I heard Wine (which my understanding is that it can run on
            > the different versions of Linux) runs it fairly well, but you
            > mentioned other main version types before. My main curiosity is
            > the Clip Code.
            >

            >>I finally got my NoteTab notes moved to my new website. It is not
            >>yet linked from the main page, since it still needs some clean
            >>up.
            >>
            >>I also have my Linux notes for NoteTab and the various email
            >>threads involved. This ought to help. It will be even better when
            >>I can put together a step by step guide.
            >>
            >>Until then, here it is: http://kairoscomputers.com/notetab/
            >>
            >>HTH,
            >>
            >>Larry Hamilton
            >>Kairos Computer Solutions
            >>http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
            >>Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
          • lm_hamilton
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 21, 2005
              I have added a page with my analysis of NoteTab on Linux with WINE at
              ths location:

              http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/NoteTabLinuxAnalysis.php

              Nothing fancy, just stuff that I will expand as I get time.

              I was in Linux for a long time today and had a few moments to play.

              I am not sure what happened, but I broke it, so my updates to this
              file is on hold until I get it working again. It starts, but gives a
              black screen and will not close. It's almost like Windows! ;-)