I'm back

  • rjburkh
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2005
      Hi all,
      Hi Jody,
      In my search for the grail, I periodically, for some years, use
      NoteTab Pro to edit various stuff, you know, webpages, verse and prose
      experimentation.
      I just installed the dictionary and thesaurus to play that way.

      I was wondering if maybe porting NoteTab to Linux and/or Mac will
      happen someday? I'm guessing the answer is "not really" because those
      OSs have their environments and NoteTab has its own environment in
      Windows. Am I far off?

      Cheers,
      Randy B.
      Simi Valley CA
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
        rjburkh wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > Hi Jody,
        > In my search for the grail, I periodically, for some years, use
        > NoteTab Pro to edit various stuff, you know, webpages, verse and prose
        > experimentation.
        > I just installed the dictionary and thesaurus to play that way.
        >
        > I was wondering if maybe porting NoteTab to Linux and/or Mac will
        > happen someday? I'm guessing the answer is "not really" because those
        > OSs have their environments and NoteTab has its own environment in
        > Windows. Am I far off?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Randy B.
        > Simi Valley CA

        search this group, clips and off topic -- there has been discussion
        previously of people running notetab in linux for sure
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2005
          Hi Randy,

          >In my search for the grail, I periodically, for some years, use
          >NoteTab Pro to edit various stuff, you know, webpages, verse and
          >prose experimentation.
          >I just installed the dictionary and thesaurus to play that way.

          IMO, the thesaurus of thesauruses is WordWeb Pro. There is a
          freeware edition that integrates seamlessly with NoteTab taking
          the place of the one that NoteTab uses. It works the same way as
          far as selecting a word, or placing the cursor over a word and
          pressing F12.

          Look at the bottom of the page for the free edition.
          If you decide to buy someday, please use this link. Thank$ :)
          http://wordweb.info/cgi-bin/cooklinkww.pl?notetab

          Or here if you want to check out the Crossword Compiler (Makes crossword puzzles)
          http://www.crossword-compiler.com/cgi-bin/cooklink.pl?notetab

          >I was wondering if maybe porting NoteTab to Linux and/or Mac will
          >happen someday? I'm guessing the answer is "not really" because
          >those OSs have their environments and NoteTab has its own
          >environment in Windows. Am I far off?

          Like Don mentioned (for Linux), it has been discussed in depth on
          this list. There are others, but Larry Hamilton appeared to have
          a fairly exhaustive post on it at one time on this list. We do
          not have any plans to support MAC computers. We have heard our
          programs can be run on a MAC using programs like Virtual PC.

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 19, 2005
            I finally got my NoteTab notes moved to my new website. It is not yet
            linked from the main page, since it still needs some clean up.

            I also have my Linux notes for NoteTab and the various email threads
            involved. This ought to help. It will be even better when I can put
            together a step by step guide.

            Until then, here it is: http://kairoscomputers.com/notetab/

            HTH,

            Larry Hamilton
            Kairos Computer Solutions
            http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
            Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 19, 2005
              Hi Larry,

              Thanks for posting this Larry! How does NoteTab Clip Code fair on
              Linux and what are the best versions to use in your opinion for
              it. I heard Wine (which my understanding is that it can run on
              the different versions of Linux) runs it fairly well, but you
              mentioned other main version types before. My main curiosity is
              the Clip Code.

              >I finally got my NoteTab notes moved to my new website. It is not
              >yet linked from the main page, since it still needs some clean
              >up.
              >
              >I also have my Linux notes for NoteTab and the various email
              >threads involved. This ought to help. It will be even better when
              >I can put together a step by step guide.
              >
              >Until then, here it is: http://kairoscomputers.com/notetab/
              >
              >HTH,
              >
              >Larry Hamilton
              >Kairos Computer Solutions
              >http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
              >Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
              >
              >Jody wrote:
              >> Hi Randy,
              >>
              >>>I was wondering if maybe porting NoteTab to Linux and/or Mac will
              >>>happen someday? I'm guessing the answer is "not really" because
              >>>those OSs have their environments and NoteTab has its own
              >>>environment in Windows. Am I far off?
              >>
              >> Like Don mentioned (for Linux), it has been discussed in depth on
              >> this list. There are others, but Larry Hamilton appeared to have
              >> a fairly exhaustive post on it at one time on this list. We do
              >> not have any plans to support MAC computers. We have heard our
              >> programs can be run on a MAC using programs like Virtual PC.

              Thanks!
              See ya in the funnies!
              http://www.clean-funnies.com
              http://www.sojourner.us/software
              notetab.net, fookes.us, purewords.org

            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 19, 2005
                Jody,

                My second note in the FAQ page I built has my detailed notes from
                January 7, 2004. That was using Red Hat 7.2 and the version of Wine from
                October, 2002.

                I have not done a lot with Linux lately, but it is on my list....

                A short synopsis from those notes:

                Clips work, even one to launch another copy of NoteTab.

                Clip Libraries have problems if their names have leading underscores, or
                any underscores in their names.

                If you set up the browsers.dat, it will launch the defined browsers.

                HTML highlighting works, I do not see a note about clip code syntax
                highlighting, but as I recall that it works.

                Outlines work too.

                Up to the present follows:

                I now have Red Hat Fedora Core 3, and close to the newest version of
                WINE. I have been too busy on some special projects that I do not have
                time to figure out what I need to do to make the things that did not
                work in Red Hat 7.2 work in Fedora Core 3. I do know that the newer
                versions of Linux and the newer versions of WINE, just get better, and
                easier to use.

                I did try to get Linux Perl to work with NoteTab, but that did not work.
                I did not try to get the Windows version of Perl to work. That just
                seems wrong. ;-) I did not have a lot of time when I tried, so the
                problem may have been lack of time to figure it out. I like this puzzle,
                so I will be coming back to it.

                I also like that WINE is free. I know that for about $100.00 you can buy
                commercial products that allow you to run the whole Windows Operating
                System on Linux. I would rather spend the $100.00 towards a new PC, so
                the wife and kids can have the old one. ;-)

                I am also limited because Fedore Core 3 takes up so much more space than
                Red Hat 7.2, that my Linux partition is full. I converted it to EXT3,
                which my version of Partition Magic does not recognize, so I cannot
                increase it. Messing with partitions is one thing I do not feel
                comfortable with on my main PC without a GUI. I also do not want to
                spend money on a new partition manager, when the one I have works fine
                and I have plenty of disk space.

                I need to take the plunge and do a clean install on a larger partition,
                but I cannot do this until I have time to fix it if someting goes wrong.
                I have a partition that has plenty of room, but everytime I mess with
                even an update to the Linux Kernel, it changes my bootloader options and
                I have to go edit it manually. I am not quite ready to have the default
                boot option be Linux. My wife is not up to change on the computer, I
                need to find that Windows XP emulator ;-). But if I can get all of my
                favorite software to work the way I want it on Linux, then I will make
                the switch for sure.

                I do have an old clunker with Red Hat 8 only, so I will try and update
                it. Fedora Core 3 has an "easy" install, but you still need to do a lot
                of tweaking to get it right, especially with a dual boot. I have also
                read that updates of existing Linux installs are tricky. I know this is
                true from my own update from Red Hat 7.2, to Red Hat 8, to Fedora Core 3.

                I need to make my data partition separate from the rest, so I can do an
                update without messing up my data on Linux. None of this is hard, just
                keep in mind all the planning needed to minimize the hassles when you
                get ready to take the plunge.

                I think I did get NoteTab to work in Wine using Knoppix. I will check
                into this too. I recommend getting a Knoppix boot CD to test your system
                to see if it can run Linux before taking the plunge. It can also let you
                play with all the things that come on most Linux distributions. It even
                lets you save your settings. I really like it, since it can be used as a
                rescue CD for messed up hard drives.

                Jody wrote:
                > Hi Larry,
                >
                > Thanks for posting this Larry! How does NoteTab Clip Code fair on
                > Linux and what are the best versions to use in your opinion for
                > it. I heard Wine (which my understanding is that it can run on
                > the different versions of Linux) runs it fairly well, but you
                > mentioned other main version types before. My main curiosity is
                > the Clip Code.
                >

                >>I finally got my NoteTab notes moved to my new website. It is not
                >>yet linked from the main page, since it still needs some clean
                >>up.
                >>
                >>I also have my Linux notes for NoteTab and the various email
                >>threads involved. This ought to help. It will be even better when
                >>I can put together a step by step guide.
                >>
                >>Until then, here it is: http://kairoscomputers.com/notetab/
                >>
                >>HTH,
                >>
                >>Larry Hamilton
                >>Kairos Computer Solutions
                >>http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
                >>Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
              • lm_hamilton
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 21, 2005
                  I have added a page with my analysis of NoteTab on Linux with WINE at
                  ths location:

                  http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/NoteTabLinuxAnalysis.php

                  Nothing fancy, just stuff that I will expand as I get time.

                  I was in Linux for a long time today and had a few moments to play.

                  I am not sure what happened, but I broke it, so my updates to this
                  file is on hold until I get it working again. It starts, but gives a
                  black screen and will not close. It's almost like Windows! ;-)