Re: [NTO] Some privacy

  • Paul Harder
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
      Mordechai wrote:
      > Hello Everybody,
      > Recently I have noticed that in some search engines I use (such as Google, Alltheweb, Altavista etc.), the queries are cumulating (not the search results) and the list is growing. I could not find how to clear this list so I looked for some program and found "Window Washer" which is said to "wash" all privacy items. Well, I gave it a try, but this certain list is still there and growing.
      > I would like to ask you for some advice how to clear this list (with or without this so called "Washer").

      Mordechai:

      If you download and install the Google toolbar, you can click on its
      Google logo button and open up a dialog box of options. There are three
      tabs. Click on the "More" tab. At the top of that tab, uncheck the
      option to "Save the search history across browser sessions". That seems
      to eliminate the search history dropdown list, both in the Google
      toolbar itself and in the search field of the Google website.

      Paul

      --

      _____________________
      Paul H. Harder, Ph.D.
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
        Thanks Paul,
        Well, so the problem with Google will be solved, but what about the other
        search engines, will this work on them too?
        Mordechai

        > > Recently I have noticed that in some search engines I use (such as
        Google, Alltheweb, Altavista etc.), the queries are cumulating (not the
        search results) and the list is growing. I could not find how to clear this
        list so I looked for some program and found "Window Washer" which is said to
        "wash" all privacy items. Well, I gave it a try, but this certain list is
        still there and growing.
        > > I would like to ask you for some advice how to clear this list (with or
        without this so called "Washer").

        > Mordechai:
        >
        > If you download and install the Google toolbar, you can click on its
        > Google logo button and open up a dialog box of options. There are three
        > tabs. Click on the "More" tab. At the top of that tab, uncheck the
        > option to "Save the search history across browser sessions". That seems
        > to eliminate the search history dropdown list, both in the Google
        > toolbar itself and in the search field of the Google website.
        >
        > Paul
        >

        > --

      • Paul Harder
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
          Mordechai wrote:

          >Well, so the problem with Google will be solved, but what about the other
          >search engines, will this work on them too?

          No, of course not. This is a Google thing. I don't know the internals of
          any of the other search engines, so I can't advise how to fix them this
          way. I do strongly suspect that denying cookies may not work without
          impairing the ability of the search site to do what you want. You just
          have to poke around on each search site, looking for info -- the site
          probably has a Contact page where you can submit a question.

          PH

          Dr. Paul Harder
          Software Engineer and Web Developer
          Xyresix
          http://xyresix.com
          pharder@...
          Houston, TX USA
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
            Hello Mordechai!

            >Well, so the problem with Google will be solved, but what about the other
            >search engines, will this work on them too?

            Nope. I think the following does what you want.

            Go to Internet Options. On the Content tab click the button labeled
            AutoComplete. Uncheck the Forms box

            Tell us if it works. I don't want to try because I want to keep mine.

            Lotta
          • Mordechai
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2005
              Hello Loro,
              Gee!! Thanks!! It Woiks!! Cheers.
              Thanks a lot.
              Mordechai.
              PS. The address list was untouched - only the search items were cleared.