Some privacy

  • Mordechai
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
      Hello Everybody,
      Recently I have noticed that in some search engines I use (such as Google, Alltheweb, Altavista etc.), the queries are cumulating (not the search results) and the list is growing. I could not find how to clear this list so I looked for some program and found "Window Washer" which is said to "wash" all privacy items. Well, I gave it a try, but this certain list is still there and growing.
      I would like to ask you for some advice how to clear this list (with or without this so called "Washer").
      Thanks in advance.
      Mordechai M.
      airflow@...

    • Christine
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
        Are you talking about your address bar?
        I delete my cookies and they're gone.
        C.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
          Hello Christine,
          Thanks.
          1. Normaly my IE is configured NOT accept coockies (except special
          contacts), and after that I delete them.
          2. I am not talking about the address bar, I am talking about that bar where
          you print your search in the search engine and then click "search" or "go".
          (The list is visible after a click in the search-bar when its still empty)
          However Thanks again!
          Mordechai.

          > Recently I have noticed that in some search engines I use (such as Google,
          > Alltheweb, Altavista etc.), the queries are cumulating (not the search
          > results) and the list is growing. I could not find how to clear this list
          so
          > I looked for some program and found "Window Washer" which is said to
          "wash"
          > all privacy items. Well, I gave it a try, but this certain list is still
          > there and growing.
          > I would like to ask you for some advice how to clear this list (with or
          > without this so called "Washer").
          > Thanks in advance.
          > Mordechai M.
          > airflow@...
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Paul Harder
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
            Mordechai wrote:
            > Hello Everybody,
            > Recently I have noticed that in some search engines I use (such as Google, Alltheweb, Altavista etc.), the queries are cumulating (not the search results) and the list is growing. I could not find how to clear this list so I looked for some program and found "Window Washer" which is said to "wash" all privacy items. Well, I gave it a try, but this certain list is still there and growing.
            > I would like to ask you for some advice how to clear this list (with or without this so called "Washer").

            Mordechai:

            If you download and install the Google toolbar, you can click on its
            Google logo button and open up a dialog box of options. There are three
            tabs. Click on the "More" tab. At the top of that tab, uncheck the
            option to "Save the search history across browser sessions". That seems
            to eliminate the search history dropdown list, both in the Google
            toolbar itself and in the search field of the Google website.

            Paul

            --

            _____________________
            Paul H. Harder, Ph.D.
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
              Thanks Paul,
              Well, so the problem with Google will be solved, but what about the other
              search engines, will this work on them too?
              Mordechai

              > > Recently I have noticed that in some search engines I use (such as
              Google, Alltheweb, Altavista etc.), the queries are cumulating (not the
              search results) and the list is growing. I could not find how to clear this
              list so I looked for some program and found "Window Washer" which is said to
              "wash" all privacy items. Well, I gave it a try, but this certain list is
              still there and growing.
              > > I would like to ask you for some advice how to clear this list (with or
              without this so called "Washer").

              > Mordechai:
              >
              > If you download and install the Google toolbar, you can click on its
              > Google logo button and open up a dialog box of options. There are three
              > tabs. Click on the "More" tab. At the top of that tab, uncheck the
              > option to "Save the search history across browser sessions". That seems
              > to eliminate the search history dropdown list, both in the Google
              > toolbar itself and in the search field of the Google website.
              >
              > Paul
              >

              > --

            • Paul Harder
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
                Mordechai wrote:

                >Well, so the problem with Google will be solved, but what about the other
                >search engines, will this work on them too?

                No, of course not. This is a Google thing. I don't know the internals of
                any of the other search engines, so I can't advise how to fix them this
                way. I do strongly suspect that denying cookies may not work without
                impairing the ability of the search site to do what you want. You just
                have to poke around on each search site, looking for info -- the site
                probably has a Contact page where you can submit a question.

                PH

                Dr. Paul Harder
                Software Engineer and Web Developer
                Xyresix
                http://xyresix.com
                pharder@...
                Houston, TX USA
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
                  Hello Mordechai!

                  >Well, so the problem with Google will be solved, but what about the other
                  >search engines, will this work on them too?

                  Nope. I think the following does what you want.

                  Go to Internet Options. On the Content tab click the button labeled
                  AutoComplete. Uncheck the Forms box

                  Tell us if it works. I don't want to try because I want to keep mine.

                  Lotta
                • Mordechai
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 9, 2005
                    Hello Loro,
                    Gee!! Thanks!! It Woiks!! Cheers.
                    Thanks a lot.
                    Mordechai.
                    PS. The address list was untouched - only the search items were cleared.