Anyone use Quicken?

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 28, 2005
      Hi all!
      I've got a weird one here.
      I'm using Quicken 2004 and 2 of my accounts, which were imported from
      Quicken 2004 on my laptop, are reversing their entries.

      For example, 2 credit cards are debiting payments and crediting debits
      (charges).
      I've tried to speak with Quicken about it, but of course, all they want to
      do is validate and revalidate the account. I'm not going to un/reinstall it
      10 gudzillion times, either, because that's just stupid. And ineffective.

      Needless to say, they've never heard of such a thing and don't have any
      suggestions. But initiative isn't their strongest training.

      I'm hoping someone might have some ideas for me. I stink with numbers, so
      just running with entering them backwards isn't an option for me.

      Thanks for the thoughts!
      Christine
    • Dennis Cummins
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 28, 2005
        I stopped using Quicken when I found Ace Money.

        http://www.mechcad.net/products/acemoney/

        Have not looked back.

        --
        Dennis
      • Christine
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 28, 2005
          Thanks, but not interested.
          I've used Quicken since its first version and understand it.

          Anyone..?
          Christine

          --
          Dennis

        • Barry
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 28, 2005
            I use Quicken but v2000 which for me is perfectly adequate. It sounds to me
            as though the template on which the register is based has somehow been
            altered or corrupted. It could well be that the only solution is to
            reinstall and that's the way I personally would go at least to begin with.
            I have noticed that if you put a minus sign before a debit then it registers
            as a payment and if you put a plus sign before a debit then it registers as
            a payment. It would therefore appear from what you say that somehow those
            plus and minus signs have been reversed. Sorry I can't be of more help.

            Barry

              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 29, 2005
                I have tried to deliberately create the problem you're experiencing even to
                the point of altering the OS registry in an attempt to find a solution but
                to no avail. So I'm sorry that I can't help you further. When you uninstall
                there's always some sort of witness that's left in the OS registry so that
                when you reinstall, that data can be used again and if it's incorrect then
                you simply repeat the same problem. It means removing all traces of Quicken
                and Intuit from the registry but I would never recommend anyone doing that
                unless they know what they're about and backup the registry before making
                any changes. In conclusion I would mention that I'm surprised that Quicken
                can't help you but there's a first time for everything.

                Barry

                > I did un/reinstall to the point of vomiting.
                > Ironically, many tech support people still think that's the way to go when
                > it's just not. Then, of course, comes the inevitable reboot hoo-ha.
                > Also, when entering data, I don't use +/- signs. I just enter it into the
                > columns where it belongs. Since 1988, this has been the appropriate manner
                > to do this.
                >
                > If there were a template to be found, I'm sure it could be corrupted.
                Being
                > a minor database, with other cards entering their data appropriately?
                > Doesn't seem to be the case.
                >
                > Are using +- signs to enter your data?
                >
                > As I mentioned, I'm fully capable of using the program well and have done
                so
                > for over 10 (maybe 13) years now. It's not user error.
                >
                > Thanks, though.
                > Christine
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 29, 2005
                  Barry wrote:
                  > I have tried to deliberately create the problem you're experiencing even to
                  > the point of altering the OS registry in an attempt to find a solution but
                  > to no avail. So I'm sorry that I can't help you further. When you uninstall
                  > there's always some sort of witness that's left in the OS registry so that
                  > when you reinstall, that data can be used again and if it's incorrect then
                  > you simply repeat the same problem. It means removing all traces of Quicken
                  > and Intuit from the registry but I would never recommend anyone doing that
                  > unless they know what they're about and backup the registry before making
                  > any changes. In conclusion I would mention that I'm surprised that Quicken
                  > can't help you but there's a first time for everything.
                  >
                  > Barry

                  Try uninstalling Quicken. Then assuming you are in windows, use the
                  great registry tool, CClean to clean up the registry. It will allow you
                  to save/backup the existing registry content. As a bonus it will fix
                  lots of other things. In fact you may want to run it once before
                  uninstalling and again after uninstalling so that you have one cleanup
                  just for the Quicken uninstall.

                  You can find the cclean by going to http://htmlfixit.com and following
                  the more link in the upper right and under windows there is a link. I
                  hope that helps.

                  Don
                • Kathy Jungjohann
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 29, 2005
                    Don:
                    Is this the util you meant?
                    CCleaner
                    http://www.ccleaner.com/

                    Cheers,
                    Kathy

                    At 09:28 AM 1/29/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                    >... Then assuming you are in windows, use the
                    >great registry tool, CClean to clean up the registry. It will allow you
                    >to save/backup the existing registry content. As a bonus it will fix
                    >lots of other things. In fact you may want to run it once before
                    >uninstalling and again after uninstalling ...
                    >
                    >You can find the cclean by going to http://htmlfixit.com and following
                    >the more link in the upper right and under windows there is a link. I
                    >hope that helps.
                    >
                    >Don
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Bill Scott
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 29, 2005
                      [Bill Scott] I just bought a 40x Hitachi cd/rw drive without any
                      documentation … it plays music but I need the read write software anyone
                      have experience with a shareware ?
                      [Bill Scott]

                    • Jeff Scism
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 29, 2005
                        Normally you can get the matching software from the manufacturer's
                        website, (I use Nero Express and Cakewalk's PYRO, Both good programs)

                        Jeff
                      • Barry
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 29, 2005
                          Yes that's the one and I downloaded and ran it and it's a great clean up
                          tool

                          Barry

                            Bill Scott wrote regarding "Can anyone suggest a good free cd-rw software ?";

                            > I just bought a 40x Hitachi cd/rw drive without any documentation … it
                            > plays music but I need the read write software anyone have experience
                            > with a shareware ?

                            Hi Bill,

                            I use and prefer Nero Burning ROM <http://www.nero.com/>. The current
                            version (6.6.x) is especially "full-featured". But of course it's far
                            from free.

                            FWIW, there are at least three freeware programs available. I haven't
                            used any of them myself and can't make any recommendations one way or
                            the other:

                            DeepBurner
                            http://www.deepburner.com/

                            CDBurnerXP Pro
                            http://www.cdburnerxp.se/features.php
                            (Apparently works with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP despite the name)

                            burnatonce
                            http://burnatonce.com/

                            HTH
                            Ben
                          • David Smart
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 29, 2005
                              I'm wondering whether it's your chart of accounts that is "broken" and not Quicken.

                              From memory, I think you said that you had imported the two accounts involved from a different computer? Does this mean that they were (and are still) working fine in the original computer but not in the one you imported them into?

                              Did they really get imported into the correct place in your chart of accounts?

                              I don't have Quicken at home for personal use, and access it at one client's premises only to find and fix specific problems, which I do by analysis, not previous knowledge. So I'm speculating heavily here, but ...

                              ... accounts have a predisposition on how they apply positive numbers (i.e. income or expense). Is this behaviour inherited from where they sit in the tree structure of the accounts, or is it assigned explicitly to each account? Certainly, when I've created a new low-level account, I don't recall needing to say what type of account it is, my recollection is that it knows this by where it is in the tree structure. (Could be hopelessly wrong on this recollection, so treat it with the suspicion it deserves.)

                              Dave S
                              > I did un/reinstall to the point of vomiting.
                              > Ironically, many tech support people still think that's the way to go when
                              > it's just not. Then, of course, comes the inevitable reboot hoo-ha.
                              > Also, when entering data, I don't use +/- signs. I just enter it into the
                              > columns where it belongs. Since 1988, this has been the appropriate manner
                              > to do this.
                              >
                              > If there were a template to be found, I'm sure it could be corrupted.
                              Being
                              > a minor database, with other cards entering their data appropriately?
                              > Doesn't seem to be the case.
                              >
                              > Are using +- signs to enter your data?
                              >
                              > As I mentioned, I'm fully capable of using the program well and have done
                              so
                              > for over 10 (maybe 13) years now. It's not user error.
                              >
                              > Thanks, though.
                              > Christine

                            • Christine
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 29, 2005
                                Thanks guys.
                                I did un/reinstall, as I mentioned, removing all *visable* references to
                                Quicken from the registry and Systems folders.
                                I'll do it <sigh> again and use the cclean you're recommending.

                                Barry, I know no one can reproduce this. It doesn't surprise me that you
                                couldn't. Plus, you're on a different, older version. I think with each
                                version's new bells and whistles, the problems that come out are always as
                                new and creative.

                                Anyway, It is pretty odd. Frankly, if Quicken Tech Support actually could
                                have helped me, I'd have fallen over with a coronary. They're as hopelessly
                                useless as you-know-whats on a bull. Similarly to Direcway assistance. One
                                must wade through all the normal hoo-ha to actually get to a tech support
                                person who knows more than uninstall-reboot-reinstall-reboot-try-it-again.

                                I'll keep you posted, guys. :)
                                Thanks,
                                Christine
                              • Greg Chapman
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 29, 2005
                                  > CDBurnerXP Pro
                                  > http://www.cdburnerxp.se/features.php
                                  > (Apparently works with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP despite the name)

                                  That's what PC Plus said!

                                  This one got an especially good review in the January 2005 issue (The
                                  magazine is aimed at the techie, programmers, networking end of the market)
                                  here in the UK.

                                  Here are some quotes:

                                  ====================
                                  Support for rewritable media is excellent, and multi-session formats can be
                                  both created and modified later. Unusually for a freeware package disc
                                  overburning is also supported - assuming your drive will let you. Audio
                                  support is also much improved since the last time we looked, with the
                                  important addition of true DAO burning for gapless audio CDs. The program
                                  has support for WMA, MP3, WAV and Ogg files, both for converting to and from
                                  audio CDs.
                                  As a freeware package you can't fault CDBurnerXP
                                  Trust us, this is superb - try it before spending any money and you really
                                  may bypass the competition entirely.
                                  ====================

                                  Can't speak for the other freeware products mentioned.

                                  Greg
                                • Carl Swann
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 30, 2005
                                    --- Bill Scott <bscott022@...> wrote:

                                    > [Bill Scott] I just bought a 40x Hitachi cd/rw drive
                                    > without any
                                    > documentation � it plays music but I need the read
                                    > write software anyone
                                    > have experience with a shareware ?
                                    > [Bill Scott]

                                    Hi Bill... DO NOT download & setup DeepBurner - it
                                    will add spyware that is nearly impossible to clean!

                                    I have a *great* audio player with ripping/recording
                                    capabilities called JetAudio... it's free (altho you
                                    can pay for add-on features)

                                    http://www.jetaudio.com/index.asp

                                    A free standalone burning software I like is
                                    Burn4Free:

                                    http://www.burn4free.com/

                                    Hope this will be helpful!

                                    Carl Swann

                                    http://my.yahoo.com
                                  • Bill Scott
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 31, 2005
                                      Thanks … Jeff, Ben, Carl and Greg …. I have Roxio easy 6 which came with my
                                      dvd writer but it would not let me install on other computers. Not sure what
                                      was going on. I had to copy the disk across the network to get it on both
                                      computers. Most software (I think) that comes with hardware can be moved
                                      between computers otherwise how would you be able to upgrade to a new case,
                                      motherboard, etc Bill

                                      Are you a Good Person ?
                                      http://www.abibleverse4you.com/goodtest.htm

                                    • Christine
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 31, 2005
                                        Excellent questions.

                                        I've imported about 9 accounts from a different computer, all of which are
                                        still operating just fine on the original computer.

                                        There isn't a tree structure in Quicken per se. When one creates the
                                        account, one tells it what type it is. For example, these were created as
                                        Credit Cards, vs. Cash, Checking, Mutual Funds, etc. It's assigned
                                        explicitly, IOW.

                                        I've finally given up. I have a new computer I just received in delivery.
                                        I'm going to try to import into a brand new install (vs. many times
                                        upgraded) on that system and see what happens.

                                        Thanks for the thoughts.
                                        Christine

                                        I'm wondering whether it's your chart of accounts that is "broken" and not
                                        Quicken.

                                        From memory, I think you said that you had imported the two accounts
                                        involved from a different computer? Does this mean that they were (and are
                                        still) working fine in the original computer but not in the one you imported
                                        them into?

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
                                          Hi All:
                                          I use Word 2000 on my window 2000 Pro computer but I cannot find the copy I
                                          had for word on a windows 98 laptop can anyone help ?

                                          Bill Scott

                                        • Brian Binder
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
                                            You could have had Word 95, 97, 2000 or XP. All work just fine on Windows
                                            98.

                                            On 12/30/05, Bill Scott <bscott022@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi All:
                                            > I use Word 2000 on my window 2000 Pro computer but I cannot find the copy
                                            > had for word on a windows 98 laptop can anyone help ?
                                            >
                                            > Bill Scott

                                            > Affiliate program software<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Affiliate+program+software&w1=Affiliate+program+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Software+development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=9KaWuy6FKnRHLoW5F2y04Q> Construction
                                            > software program<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Construction+software+program&w1=Affiliate+program+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Software+development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=F3LkPjhe1MkJ4Fq3QQZwUA> Medical
                                            > software program<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medical+software+program&w1=Affiliate+program+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Software+development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=AwyI7nQBuf_OuJksGRgsXA> Accounting
                                            > software program<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Accounting+software+program&w1=Affiliate+program+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Software+development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=VzCxLFHTZiHmXsWEP_djZQ> Estate
                                            > program real software<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Estate+program+real+software&w1=Affiliate+program+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Software+development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=lMTrEr4oqbyRycvw8--w5g> Software
                                            > development program<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Software+development+program&w1=Affiliate+program+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program&w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Software+development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=DOR5xh8pu5s-DHxW2MQDrA>

                                          • Don - htmlfixit.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
                                              Brian Binder wrote:
                                              > You could have had Word 95, 97, 2000 or XP. All work just fine on Windows
                                              > 98.

                                              Run Open Office instead. http://openoffice.org
                                            • Brian Binder
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
                                                Thumbs up on that note Don! :)

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
                                                  I use Office 2000 Pro and I'll burn you a copy in exchange for your address.

                                                  Take care. Barry UK

                                                  > I use Word 2000 on my window 2000 Pro computer but I cannot find the copy
                                                  > had for word on a windows 98 laptop can anyone help ?
                                                  >
                                                  > Bill Scott

                                                • sisterscape
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 30, 2005
                                                    I have Word 95 running on XP as I rarely need a word processor. If I
                                                    did, I'd go for OO. ;) sisterscape