RE: [NTO] Giving my Old Computer a new face !

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 21, 2005
      My first computer was a basis 108 which was a German made Apple II clone
      ..... it was the latest and greatest ...

      University Daisy chained Unix machines ... and then CompuServe was the
      internet which I think is AOL now .... Star something or other ... 1200 baud
      modem with text only green screen ... you could read the screen faster than
      it could download the text ... WordStar was the only wordproccessor you
      used keystrokes to move around the screen and edit ...

      I was a field engineer at McClellan Air force base working on the first
      CD-Rom it was in the OSAR which was a big box with these 12 inch CD's in it
      and a robotic arm that moved on a rail picked up the cd and came back too
      one of two drives the size of your desktop computer ... all of the f-111
      schematics were on IBM punch cards and were being converted analog to
      digital ... with a laser which would shine up through the microfiche into an
      analog to digital converter ... which then could be displayed on monitors as
      a digital image or printed out to plotter ....

      It is really interesting to think just how much knowledge has increased ...
      since then or for that matter since 1914 ... my Dad used mules to plow with
      in his life time ... Cars , Movies, trains , airplanes , rocket ships to the
      moon , heart transplants .. Cell phones ... We can speak in real time to
      people anywhere .. on the planet ..

      An Increase in knowledge and a running to and fro ...

      Earthquakes , Floods , Pestilence .... These are the beginning of sorrows