Re: [NTO] Dual-System

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2005
      Mordechai

      If you plan to install both operating systems in the same partition then
      install W98 first and then XP. My personal preference would be to
      partition the disk and install each OS into a separate partition and use
      a 3rd partition for data. There are many partitioning programs around. I
      use BootitNG which also gives me the ability to copy/move/backup whole
      partitions. See http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html for
      details. You will also have to consider the issue of your XP licence.
      Since you will be reinstalling it on the same hardware, except for the
      disk, this sequence should do the trick:

      1. Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a floppy.
      2. Reinstall Windows XP.
      3. Boot to a DOS disk if you are using FAT, or to the Recovery Console
      if using NTFS.
      4. Copy the file from the first step above back to c:\windows\system32.
      5. That's it - because (almost) all of your hardware is the same as
      before, your copy of WinXP will usually remain valid according to the
      previous activation.

      Regards, John M