Re: [NTO] Dual-System

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2005
      I think it's the same as doing it with 98 and 2000, so

      I've got 98 and 2000 on most of my computers. I always put them both into the C: partition, with 98 in the Windows directory and 2000 in the WinNT directory. (By default 2000 puts itself in the WinNT directory - I have a feeling that XP doesn't do this by default.)

      I always install 98 first. 98 doesn't check to see if there is another operating system, and create a dual boot system; so if you install it second, you lose the ability to boot 2000/XP until you fix the boot sequence (not a trivial fix).

      I don't install anything on 98 unless it doesn't work on 2000. I certainly don't do a pre-installation. Some programs are happy to be installed on both systems at once. Others (for instance Norton Utilities) need to be installed in separate sub-directories of Program Files to work in both systems.

      So - it works, but is not terribly convenient.

      It's certainly possible to install two operating systems in separate disk partitions. I've never bothered, but my son has a dual XP/Linux computer done in this way. I assume a dual XP/98 computer would be about the same.

      Dave S

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2005
        Hello John,
        Thanks so much!
        Please correct me if I am wrong:
        What I am intend to do (as I have two hard disks in this PC), remove
        temporarily the second disk, install temporarily the new one, partition it
        with the XP "storage maintenance" tool, format each partition, and only then
        remove the main problematic disk, install the new one as main and the second
        disk (which was removed at first) goes back to its place.
        Now I have a C: partition on the main disk, D: partition on the second disk.
        (and again E: partition on the main)
        Now while booting (after systems were installed), XP asks which system to
        load, so why do I have to use something like "BootitNG" or anything alike?
        (Silly question??)
        By the way, how much space I need for the win 98se (as I mentioned it is
        only for experimenting).
        Thanks in advance and Regards!
        Mordechai M.
        PS. Some of this message were deleted to make it shorter.

      • John Mitchell
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2005
          Mordechai

          BootitNG is much more than just a partitioning tool but if all you need
          is a once-off partitioning exercise then your solution is as good as
          any.

          It's a long time since I used W98 but from memory it will fit
          comfortably in less than 500MB. You need to allow room for the
          applications you intend to load and a reasonable amount of free space.
          Unless you anticipate being short of total space on your new 120GB
          drive, why not be generous and allocate 5GB.

          Cheers, John M

          -------

          [1]http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html for