Dual-System

  • Mordechai
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2005
      Hello Everybody,
      I have to replace my harddisk because some malfunctioning and bad sectors. (The new one will be 120GB)
      I want to try installing two Operating systems - Windows 98SE and Windows XP Pro.
      The Windows 98SE will be mainly to test programs before installation, and the XP will be the working system.
      I will kindly ask you for any recomandations, such as order of installation (98 - XP or XP - 98),
      minimum space for win 98, as it is only for testing, maybe links to some places to read about, any issues expected, same partition / diff. partition, etc.
      All other hardware is compatible with XP (it is still installed on the 'crippled' disk)
      Will appreciate your answers.
      Thanks and Regards!
      Mordechai M.
      airflow@...

      PS.
      I found some Anti-Crash program:
      http://www.dachshundsoftware.com/index.html

      Did not work on two crashes - not recomended, could not even access the program while crash.

    • John Mitchell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2005
        Mordechai

        If you plan to install both operating systems in the same partition then
        install W98 first and then XP. My personal preference would be to
        partition the disk and install each OS into a separate partition and use
        a 3rd partition for data. There are many partitioning programs around. I
        use BootitNG which also gives me the ability to copy/move/backup whole
        partitions. See http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html for
        details. You will also have to consider the issue of your XP licence.
        Since you will be reinstalling it on the same hardware, except for the
        disk, this sequence should do the trick:

        1. Copy the file c:\windows\system32\wpa.dbl to a floppy.
        2. Reinstall Windows XP.
        3. Boot to a DOS disk if you are using FAT, or to the Recovery Console
        if using NTFS.
        4. Copy the file from the first step above back to c:\windows\system32.
        5. That's it - because (almost) all of your hardware is the same as
        before, your copy of WinXP will usually remain valid according to the
        previous activation.

        Regards, John M

        [1]http://www.dachshundsoftware.com/index.html
        Did not work on two crashes - not recomended, could not even
        access the program while crash.

        * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the [4]Yahoo! Terms
        of Service.