Re: [NTO] Outlook Express Folders

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2005
      The program is full of "magic numbers" so it is somewhat useless for others (and also contains slightly sensitive information). However, what it does is:

      Opens and reads an EML file (which is text, so that's easy)
      Looks at the message line keys and finds "from:" and "to:" and stores the addresses of both.
      On the way, it also grabs "sender:" or "x-sender:" and "x-apparently-to:" holding them separately from the "from:" and "to:".
      If it doesn't find a "from:" it uses what it found for "sender:" or "x-sender:"; and if it doesn't find a "to:" it uses what it found for "x-apparently-to:". (But it uses the "from:" / "to:" in preference. I don't remember why, but I did it that way for good reasons.)
      Then it looks at the "from" and the "to" and works out which one of them is "me". This is one area where the magic stuff comes in - it's looking for any of many e-mail addresses and also looking at the directory of the tree the file's in to work out who "me" is anyway (could be any of the four members of my family). It discards the one it decides is "me" and keeps the other one.
      It forms up a new name for the file, consisting of the original name, with the e-mail information appended.

      The basic name for your e-mail would be

      Re [NTO] Outlook Express Folders [from subscriber04].eml

      and the basic name for THIS message will be

      Re [NTO] Outlook Express Folders [to ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com]

      While creating the new name, I actually clean it up a bit: multiple spaces are removed; underlines that are clearly conversions from colons, etc, are removed; non file-name characters are removed from the e-mail address. This is totally arbitrary stuff which I have put in whenever I didn't like a particular result, or when the file rename failed because of an illegal character coming from the e-mail address.

      There are a couple of other transformations I do on the way: if the e-mail doesn't have a subject, I put "no subject"; if OE has given the message a sequence number to avoid file name clashes, I remove it.

      When there is more than one e-mail about the same subject and to/from the same address, the above formatting would give a name clash. To work round that I will add a sequence number to the end of each of the files. I find out what to do with a simple run of logic.

      If a file of the above name already exists, it means that the new message is the second of this sequence and, more importantly, that the existing file will become the first of the sequence. I rename the existing file, i.e.:

      Re [NTO] Outlook Express Folders [from subscriber04].eml

      is renamed to

      Re [NTO] Outlook Express Folders [from subscriber04] 1.eml

      Then, regardless of what I did there, I start looking for files in the sequence, starting at the "1" position. I either find no files, or the last file in an existing sequence.

      If there are no files, I rename the new message

      Re [NTO] Outlook Express Folders [from subscriber04].eml

      If there are files, I note the last (highest numbered) one, and rename the new message into the next position in the sequence.

      So, after one message, I'd have

      Re [NTO] Outlook Express Folders [from subscriber04].eml

      And after a second message from you on the same subject I'd have

      Re [NTO] Outlook Express Folders [from subscriber04] 1.eml
      Re [NTO] Outlook Express Folders [from subscriber04] 2.eml

      I've often suggested to myself that I should just always start with sequence "1", but it doesn't please my eye, and would only actually save about three or four lines of code anyway.

      I compile the program as a DOS console application and put in a right-click option for EML files to run it from Windows Explorer. If I want to do multiple files at once, I get Windows to call the program once for each file - I didn't bother making the program handle multiple files.

      This is all pretty arbitrary, and very simple C++ code - built on a foundation of classes that I have developed over the many years since I started using C++. Although I could sanitise it and post it, it would be somewhat meaningless without the supporting classes, which I'm not willing to give out.

      A bit of work in your favourite programming environment would knock up an equivalent program in a couple of evenings. The points that need to be covered are:

      Reading the EML text file looking for the lines that begin with specific key words, and grabbing the e-mail information from those lines;
      Guessing which of the "to" or "from" is the other party;
      Constructing a file name which is a combination of the file name OE gave it and the selected e-mail information;
      Ensuring that you can handle multiple messages that would end up with the same name otherwise (e.g. by appending a sequence number, or the date and time, or whatever);
      Renaming the file.

      All the other stuff I do is window-dressing and you may or may not wish to do something similar.

      Dave S