Re: [NTO] Slow computer, a turtle is much faster

  • Rosemary Culley
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 8, 2005
      PCWorld has a lot of howto s which might help?
      * How-to *

      * Five-Minute Fixes
      Rapid relief for balky PCs, stuck Windows, stalled networks,
      recalcitrant printers, and your other everyday computing hassles.
      http://pcwnl.pcworld.com/t/339162/8841650/968139/0/

      also
      Exploring Windows, a bi-weekly newsletter
      January, 2005

      Announcements, tips, tricks, and techniques for Windows users at home
      and at the office.

      Get plugged in with other users like you
      Join the Windows XP Expert Zone community
      <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808140> The Expert Zone is the center
      for the online community and gives you a chance to meet people who share
      your interest in Windows XP. Whether you're a highly skilled Windows
      expert, or an enthusiastic new user of Windows XP, you can find peers
      online in the Expert Zone community. A vibrant online community needs
      people with answers and people with questions. So don't be shy, ask
      questions and learn.

      · How to participate
      <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808141>

      · Chat with other users anytime
      <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808142>

      · Meet some of the experts who write columns
      <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808143>

      · Get answers to your questions in the newsgroups
      <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808144>

      But think you have now found out what was wrong....

      The trouble with reinstalling xp is that, I think, there is a maximum
      number of times you can do this. Not quite sure what happens when you
      exceed the number, 3 I think:-(

      Cheers

      In message <41DD51E2.90503@...>, Ed Brown
      <ebrown1927@...> writes

      >hsavage, Rosemary, Barrry,
      >Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is 512mb. The
      >computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz. The registry! Aye,the
      >registry is where I think the problem lays. But poking around in the
      >registry is not for everyone. I have tried several programs, free and
      >expensive, that are supposed to deal with this--HOWEVER, when I have
      >run them , they come up with many registry problems but then warn me
      >some things that it has found and listed as problems, may not be
      >problems and are needed by the computer therefore I should only remove
      >those (Notice_ I _should remove them not the program and if I could do
      >that I would not needed the program in the first place) that I am
      >absolutely certain will not cause problems. Aye! There lies the rub. I
      >have no idea which is what or what is which so to speak That is the
      >reason I brought the app in the first place, to tell me what I need to
      >remove, repair or replace and how to do those things. The registry
      >repair programs or apps that I have bought end up being worthless.
      >
      >I have found some files missing that I have replaced and that helped
      >some things like some programs that were not working now work, but as
      >yet have not improved or increased the speed . I think this problem has
      >occurred mainly and foremost because I removed a large number of
      >ad-spy-ware, trojans and viruses over time. It seems that some of these
      >may have taken part of the things I need with them as well as corrupted
      >the registry.
      >
      >I believe that the best thing to do is simply to back up all my good
      >data and programs that I wish to keep and format the hard drive and
      >start over. Over all the years I have been computering and that is not
      >that many, since '94, I have heard over and over that the hard drive
      >should be formated annually. It seems that there is a great deal of
      >truth in this. That never is any fun, and now since Microsoft as gotten
      >so picky about reloading XP I am not sure how to handle this. Any ideas?
      >Thanks again for your input,
      >Ed
      >
      >Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their
      >minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
      > -- Everett McKinley Dirksen

      Rosemary Culley
      I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K
      Jerome
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 9, 2005
        Ed,

        I was going to mention the erunt and registry optimizer, but another
        poster beat me to it. I use them all the time.

        I'm glad the MS beta helped.

        Larry Hamilton
        lmh@...
        My Webpage