RE: [NTO] Outlook Express Folders

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2005
      Using OE is like asking for a virus.
      Every virus out there that sends to your address book is doing just that,
      sending to/from your ADDRESS BOOK. At least in OUTLOOK proper, they don't
      target Contacts. WAB is a separate and useable file, whereas Contacts is
      integrated into the .pst and far more difficult to use.
      I strongly suggest you graduate to a safer contact manager/PIM. No matter
      what it is, it isn't OE.

      JMO as a former, long-time Exchange Admin.
      Christine
    • Jason W.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2005
        On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 06:52:37 -0500, Christine <christine@...> wrote:

        > Using OE is like asking for a virus.
        > Every virus out there that sends to your address book is doing just that,
        > sending to/from your ADDRESS BOOK. At least in OUTLOOK proper, they don't
        > target Contacts. WAB is a separate and useable file, whereas Contacts is
        > integrated into the .pst and far more difficult to use.
        > I strongly suggest you graduate to a safer contact manager/PIM. No matter
        > what it is, it isn't OE.

        Christine,

        If the user is using an older version of Outlook (say 2000 or 2002) OR
        they click Yes to the security prompt (which most will do), a script
        could read every object in a user's PST file. It's actually quite
        simple to do with VBScript and COM. The chance of getting a virus is
        roughly the same with Outlook as it is with Outlook Express since both
        have the same core set of HTML rendering vulnerabilities - meaning
        attachments can be run without the user's permission and files can be
        downloaded from remote websites and ran without being OK'ed.

        --
        HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

        Jason

        EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
        http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about
      • Christine
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2005
          Jason, I'm showing my dated-ness.
          It's been awhile since I've worked on Outlook, or worked at all, actually.
          At the time, Outlook itself wasn't targeted. I guess before I wrote, I
          should have checked current capabilities, knowing how smart these children
          are!
          Thanks for correcting me. :)

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2005
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Mickster <mickster@m...> wrote:
            > I now use Thunderbird and am very happy with it. I won't be going
            back
            > to OE, unless forced by gunpoint. :)

            Dear All

            I wonder how Thunderbird goes in comparison with The Bat... Do you
            have any opinion abot that?

            Best,

            Wojciech/Subscriber
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 10, 2005
              > Dear All
              >
              > I wonder how Thunderbird goes in comparison with The Bat... Do you
              > have any opinion abot that?
              >
              > Best,
              >
              > Wojciech/Subscriber

              Bat's fly mainly at night and unless in a large group are very silent.
              Thunderbirds fly whenever they wish and sound like thunder - hence the
              name. I use thunderbird and like it very much. I use it to gather rss
              feeds I like to follow and for a half dozen email addresses I stay on
              top of. It has pretty good filtering capabilities for spam, though not
              bullet proof. It does however, seldom trash good mail as spam.
              Sometimes it doesn't seem to learn something is spam as quickly as I
              might think it would. I am however overdue to upgrade to the newer
              version and maybe my experience is below what the current version
              offers. It is still miles ahead of where I was with oe in my opinion.

              I once had oe decide to rollover my email files because of size ... it
              just started a new folder and named it number 2 and it was as if my old
              stuff just disappeared. I had to go find it. Very difficult to sort
              out. I also had it once build a file so big that I couldn't work with
              the file because there wasn't sufficient space on the disk to write a
              compacted version. I should of course be less of a pack rat about email
              ... but then I'm not.

              Don