Outlook Express Folders

  • Mordechai
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2005
      Hello,
      Some harddisk failure was a reason to replace it with a new one.
      After installation of the OS (win xp pro+sp1), I wanted to preserve all my mail, so I copied all the *.mdb files from the old "outlook express" folder to some safe place (which were also on the very same OS), then I created in the new "outlook express" new folders with the same name and replaced them with the saved folders. (The import function works only on the "address book")
      Trying to open the folders in the new "outlook express" - they did not open.
      I will appreciate any ideas on this - what to do, as I kept some important mail there.
      Thanks in advance.
      Mordechai M.
      airflow@...

      PS. Now I had my lesson, and I am looking for some reliable backup program - can you advise?
      Thanks again.

    • Mickster
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2005
        When I used OE for email, I picked up a program called Express Assist
        which I liked as you could set it backup every night, etc. You could
        also easily set which folders you wanted backed up, restored very easily
        by clicking check boxes in a "folder tree".

        I now use Thunderbird and am very happy with it. I won't be going back
        to OE, unless forced by gunpoint. :)

        = = = = = =
        Mick Housel
        safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
        broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
        -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

        mickster@...
        http://www.mickhousel.com/

        Mordechai wrote:
        > Hello,
        > Some harddisk failure was a reason to replace it with a new one.
        > After installation of the OS (win xp pro+sp1), I wanted to preserve all my mail, so I copied all the *.mdb files from the old "outlook express" folder to some safe place (which were also on the very same OS), then I created in the new "outlook express" new folders with the same name and replaced them with the saved folders. (The import function works only on the "address book")
        > Trying to open the folders in the new "outlook express" - they did not open.
        > I will appreciate any ideas on this - what to do, as I kept some important mail there.
        > Thanks in advance.
        > Mordechai M.
        > airflow@...
        >
        > PS. Now I had my lesson, and I am looking for some reliable backup program - can you advise?
        > Thanks again.

      • Christine
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2005
          Using OE is like asking for a virus.
          Every virus out there that sends to your address book is doing just that,
          sending to/from your ADDRESS BOOK. At least in OUTLOOK proper, they don't
          target Contacts. WAB is a separate and useable file, whereas Contacts is
          integrated into the .pst and far more difficult to use.
          I strongly suggest you graduate to a safer contact manager/PIM. No matter
          what it is, it isn't OE.

          JMO as a former, long-time Exchange Admin.
          Christine
        • Jason W.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2005
            On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 06:52:37 -0500, Christine <christine@...> wrote:

            > Using OE is like asking for a virus.
            > Every virus out there that sends to your address book is doing just that,
            > sending to/from your ADDRESS BOOK. At least in OUTLOOK proper, they don't
            > target Contacts. WAB is a separate and useable file, whereas Contacts is
            > integrated into the .pst and far more difficult to use.
            > I strongly suggest you graduate to a safer contact manager/PIM. No matter
            > what it is, it isn't OE.

            Christine,

            If the user is using an older version of Outlook (say 2000 or 2002) OR
            they click Yes to the security prompt (which most will do), a script
            could read every object in a user's PST file. It's actually quite
            simple to do with VBScript and COM. The chance of getting a virus is
            roughly the same with Outlook as it is with Outlook Express since both
            have the same core set of HTML rendering vulnerabilities - meaning
            attachments can be run without the user's permission and files can be
            downloaded from remote websites and ran without being OK'ed.

            --
            HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

            Jason

            EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
            http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about
          • Christine
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2005
              Jason, I'm showing my dated-ness.
              It's been awhile since I've worked on Outlook, or worked at all, actually.
              At the time, Outlook itself wasn't targeted. I guess before I wrote, I
              should have checked current capabilities, knowing how smart these children
              are!
              Thanks for correcting me. :)

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2005
                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Mickster <mickster@m...> wrote:
                > I now use Thunderbird and am very happy with it. I won't be going
                back
                > to OE, unless forced by gunpoint. :)

                Dear All

                I wonder how Thunderbird goes in comparison with The Bat... Do you
                have any opinion abot that?

                Best,

                Wojciech/Subscriber
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2005
                  > Dear All
                  >
                  > I wonder how Thunderbird goes in comparison with The Bat... Do you
                  > have any opinion abot that?
                  >
                  > Best,
                  >
                  > Wojciech/Subscriber

                  Bat's fly mainly at night and unless in a large group are very silent.
                  Thunderbirds fly whenever they wish and sound like thunder - hence the
                  name. I use thunderbird and like it very much. I use it to gather rss
                  feeds I like to follow and for a half dozen email addresses I stay on
                  top of. It has pretty good filtering capabilities for spam, though not
                  bullet proof. It does however, seldom trash good mail as spam.
                  Sometimes it doesn't seem to learn something is spam as quickly as I
                  might think it would. I am however overdue to upgrade to the newer
                  version and maybe my experience is below what the current version
                  offers. It is still miles ahead of where I was with oe in my opinion.

                  I once had oe decide to rollover my email files because of size ... it
                  just started a new folder and named it number 2 and it was as if my old
                  stuff just disappeared. I had to go find it. Very difficult to sort
                  out. I also had it once build a file so big that I couldn't work with
                  the file because there wasn't sufficient space on the disk to write a
                  compacted version. I should of course be less of a pack rat about email
                  ... but then I'm not.

                  Don