Re: Re: [NTO] MS Antispyware was (Slow computer, a turtle is much faster)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2005
      Ed/Larry/All

      > not a very long job to download the Microsoft Adware and
      > Spyware
      > remover, it works great, but be warned everyone it is
      > still in the Beta
      > stage, but I have had no problems with it.

      Seems to work very well and the depth of info presented is quite impressive
      It seems to be able to identify a number of BHO's etc but I'm not sure that
      the sypyware info database has been populated - everything I looked for said
      "no info yet".

      I turned on ALL its Security Agents just to see what they detect:
      It warned me that I had the Messenger service activated and prompted to
      disable it.
      Changing my HomePage through IE-tools popped up an alert allowing me to
      accept or prevent.

      Looks like theyve done a pretty good job about opening the curtain on what's
      being done - I was afraid it was all going to happen "behind the scenes".

      Note: it says the beta expires this June.

      > And I
      > downloaded it with
      > FireFox

      Nice to know. I had just assumed it would require IE. Maybe MS is beginning
      to acknowledge there *are* other browsers.

      > and my XP Pro is legal so no problem there

      I wonder what it's checking for Win2K. I wasn't positive I was going to pass
      :-) I guess sometime soon Windows Update is going to require authentication
      in order for it to be used?

      Here's a review of Giant Antispyware from before its purchase by Microsoft.
      I guessed I'd missed it because the free ones did a good job. It used to be
      priced at $29.95

      Regards ... Alec
      ( ) + = { } [ ] \ | 9 0

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
        Hi Alec:
        Could you resend the link to Microsoft’s spy ware adware ?
        I accidentally deleted the wrong message … tanks …

        Bill Scott

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
          > Hi Alec:
          > Could you resend the link to Microsoft's spy ware adware ?
          > I accidentally deleted the wrong message . tanks .

          Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Home

          Regards ... Alec
          --