Re: [NTO] Partitioning C:\pagefile.sys

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 7, 2005
      Paul

      Control Panel --> System --> Advanced --> Settings --> Advanced and then
      click the CHANGE button to redefine the location and/or size of virtual
      memory. You have to reboot for changes to take effect. I'm not sure if
      you have to manually delete the old pagefile.sys afterwards but I seem
      to remember that you do.

      You can use Microsoft Powertoys TweakUI tool to remap your "My
      Documents" to another partition. Get it from

      Remapping will not actually move any data so once you have rebooted your
      system you will have to manually move your data files across. Note that
      you are only mapping "My Documents", not all the other structures found
      under Documents and Settings for a given user.

      Regards, John Mitchell

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 10, 2005
        John Mitchell:

        Thanks, John, for the tip. It worked without a hitch.

        Paul King

        At 01:34 PM 1/7/2005, you wrote:

        >Paul
        >
        >Control Panel --> System --> Advanced --> Settings --> Advanced and then
        >click the CHANGE button to redefine the location and/or size of virtual
        >memory. You have to reboot for changes to take effect. I'm not sure if
        >you have to manually delete the old pagefile.sys afterwards but I seem
        >to remember that you do.
        >
        >You can use Microsoft Powertoys TweakUI tool to remap your "My
        >Documents" to another partition. Get it from
        >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
        >
        >Remapping will not actually move any data so once you have rebooted your
        >system you will have to manually move your data files across. Note that
        >you are only mapping "My Documents", not all the other structures found
        >under Documents and Settings for a given user.
        >
        >Regards, John Mitchell

      • Bill Scott
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 18, 2005
          [Bill Scott] Hi All:
          does anyone know if it is possible to change skins on an old computer ? Like
          from white to black . ? Also anyone had experience with cordless Keyboard ?

          Thanks .

          http://www.abibleverse4you.com <http://www.abibleverse4you.com/>

        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 18, 2005
            Yes you can change the outer case, BUT if you use the same front end
            pug-ins they have the OLD face covers.
            OR you can get a can of Black spray paint....
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 18, 2005
              Hi Jeff and Bill,

              >Yes you can change the outer case, BUT if you use the same front
              >end pug-ins they have the OLD face covers.
              >OR you can get a can of Black spray paint....

              A spray can of flat (or maybe semi-gloss, personal preference)
              black satin is about the cheapest and easiest route to take IMO.
              You may want to get a sheet of very fine sand paper to rough it
              up a bit if you have a slick finish on it now. A pad of steel
              wool will work also. You can rinse all the soap out of an SOS pad
              if "desperate" (and you can sneak it past the wife ;), but make
              sure you "rinse" the case off well; vinegar will cut through it
              good.<br><br>

              You might find some masking tape handy. Also, make sure you keep
              your can far enough away to prevent runs. It is best to apply a
              couple of light coats rather than trying to get it all in one
              having it run on you. I don't mean to offend you if you know how
              to paint. :)

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            • Dart Chris
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 18, 2005
                Hello there,

                Do you mean put the works in a new box ? ! Should be easy if its the right
                size, or paint it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                Chris

                _____

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 18, 2005
                  You can buy a complete new case (including power supply) for a computer for very little money these days. There are lots of designs out there - including clear ones with neon lights inside (but don't tell my daughter about them :-).

                  I doubt that you'd be able to buy just the skin of a case, however.

                  I've been using a cordless keyboard for years (and cordless mice too). There is no real downside to a cordless keyboard (except that you've got to replace the battery occasionally); but there is very little benefit either, if your computer is in a normal computer desk. One minor downside is that the caps lock (and other) lights are not on the keyboard - they're on the receiver unit and you don't notice them. At least that's the case with my cordless keyboard.

                  I'm much happier with the cordless mice however - particularly the one on my desktop computer. Having no cable to get caught up is a great advantage. I don't find it as useful as I expected on the laptop computers, though, as you've now got two things to carry (the mouse and the receiver). A computer with inbuilt Bluetooth, and a Bluetooth mouse, would be ideal, but I don't have that.

                  Dave S

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 19, 2005
                    Hi Jeff, Jody and ALL :
                    Thanks .Not a matter of money I Just hate throwing the whole box away just
                    to change appearances .. I bought new flat screen monitors , Motherboards,
                    CPU's and so on . I don't know if I am a good enough painter . My wife
                    does all of our bookkeeping and needs a bigger desk . The Flat screens are
                    great .. Anyone need monitors ?
                    Bill Scott

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 19, 2005
                      [Bill Scott] Hey . Jody . How long have you been with Notetab ? that guy got
                      a real steady employee .. I have a Christian Kid that has been with me since
                      he was 14 he is 21 now .
                      Lets chat you have my email but I have lost yours . Keep looking up Bill ..

                    • Hugo Paulissen
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 20, 2005
                        Is your PC as old as these pictures?

                        http://blog.monkeymethods.org/2005/01/bill-gates-strikes-pose-for-
                        teen-beat.html

                        Hugo
                      • Bill Scott
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 20, 2005
                          Yeah and I have a 300 baud modem … how do I paint it … *||:^) wait I
                          upgraded to a 1200 baud … cool … with 5 megs of hard drive … shazaammm

                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 20, 2005
                            > Yeah and I have a 300 baud modem � how do I paint it

                            Not sure how to paint it, but colour it .... gone. :-)

                            I remember my first 5 meg hard drive - at work of course, couldn't afford one for home. "How on earth would we ever fill all that up?"

                            (Actually, come to think of it, my HOME computer was a Commodore 64 at that time.)

                            Dave S

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 20, 2005
                              (Actually, come to think of it, my HOME computer was a Commodore 64 at that time.)

                              Dave S

                              Mine was a TI99-4A,

                              Jeff
                            • Bill Scott
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 21, 2005
                                My first computer was a basis 108 which was a German made Apple II clone
                                ..... it was the latest and greatest ...

                                University Daisy chained Unix machines ... and then CompuServe was the
                                internet which I think is AOL now .... Star something or other ... 1200 baud
                                modem with text only green screen ... you could read the screen faster than
                                it could download the text ... WordStar was the only wordproccessor you
                                used keystrokes to move around the screen and edit ...

                                I was a field engineer at McClellan Air force base working on the first
                                CD-Rom it was in the OSAR which was a big box with these 12 inch CD's in it
                                and a robotic arm that moved on a rail picked up the cd and came back too
                                one of two drives the size of your desktop computer ... all of the f-111
                                schematics were on IBM punch cards and were being converted analog to
                                digital ... with a laser which would shine up through the microfiche into an
                                analog to digital converter ... which then could be displayed on monitors as
                                a digital image or printed out to plotter ....

                                It is really interesting to think just how much knowledge has increased ...
                                since then or for that matter since 1914 ... my Dad used mules to plow with
                                in his life time ... Cars , Movies, trains , airplanes , rocket ships to the
                                moon , heart transplants .. Cell phones ... We can speak in real time to
                                people anywhere .. on the planet ..

                                An Increase in knowledge and a running to and fro ...

                                Earthquakes , Floods , Pestilence .... These are the beginning of sorrows