Re: [NTO] Slow computer, a turtle is much faster

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
      I never reformat a hard drive unless it is showing hard-drive problems. Certainly never on a regular basis.

      However, you may actually be referring to deleting the operating system and reinstalling it. This can be done without reformatting the hard drive. Again, though, I never do it on a regular basis.

      I'm not an XP user, but have certainly done reinstallations of 98 and 2000 without losing data files. (However, I always take a full backup, just in case.)

      When things are starting to break, I'll normally do a reinstallation of the O/S over the top of the old one. My understanding is that XP has just such a facility, but you'd need to check this. Only if this doesn't fix things would I consider deleting and reinstalling from scratch.

      The most recent delete/install I did was on a customer's 98 machine that had been badly hit by spyware and a couple of viruses. I cleaned them out all right (sort of) but so much was corrupted that I decided the quickest solution was to delete and start again. In that case, I completely cleared the disk (delete not reformat) because I had also had viruses to contend with.

      Dave S

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
        Ed/All,

        I just ran across this article that Microsoft has just released free
        anti-spyware and malware removal tools. I have not had time to check
        into them.

        Here is the link to the article:

        http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783

        Larry Hamilton
        lmh@...
        My Webpage
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

        Ed Brown wrote:
        > I have done all the things obvious and recommended and nothing has
        > helped. I have cleaned up the disk, defraged, run scan disk, dumped the
        > Recycle bin, run LavaSoft newest edition to remove all spyware, and
        > just in case some was missed I used Spy Bot, found a lot removed it all,
        > ran 3 different virus scans. Found no virus or known trojans. Yet this
        > computer is extremely frustratingly slow. So what do you ladies and
        > guys suggest I do next? I am using XP home edition on this particular
        > computer.
        > Ed
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
          I just tried this and it found some stuff that both AdAware and SpyBot
          Search & Destroy missed.

          Be forewarned, that it requires hoop jumping to install. Be ready to use
          Internet Explorer to get it. It is an effort to prevent illegal copies
          of Windows from getting it.

          Larry Hamilton wrote:
          > Ed/All,
          >
          > I just ran across this article that Microsoft has just released free
          > anti-spyware and malware removal tools. I have not had time to check
          > into them.
          >
          > Here is the link to the article:
          >
          > http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
            America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose
            our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

            -- Abraham Lincoln

            David Smart wrote:

            > I never reformat a hard drive unless it is showing hard-drive
            > problems. Certainly never on a regular basis.

            David,
            I have reformatted hard drives often and I have found it works wonders
            in speeding things up. I think it is better than reinstalling over the
            old OS and I believe [MHO] that deleting never completely deletes
            everything. I am a believer in formating a hard drive at least once each
            year. Just make sure that you save all your data and the drivers to
            re-install then go to microsoft and make sure you are up todate on all
            their patches, etc.
            Ed

            > However, you may actually be referring to deleting the operating
            > system and reinstalling it. This can be done without reformatting the
            > hard drive. Again, though, I never do it on a regular basis.
            >
            > I'm not an XP user, but have certainly done reinstallations of 98 and
            > 2000 without losing data files. (However, I always take a full
            > backup, just in case.)
            >
            > When things are starting to break, I'll normally do a reinstallation
            > of the O/S over the top of the old one. My understanding is that XP
            > has just such a facility, but you'd need to check this. Only if this
            > doesn't fix things would I consider deleting and reinstalling from
            > scratch.
            >
            > The most recent delete/install I did was on a customer's 98 machine
            > that had been badly hit by spyware and a couple of viruses. I cleaned
            > them out all right (sort of) but so much was corrupted that I decided
            > the quickest solution was to delete and start again. In that case, I
            > completely cleared the disk (delete not reformat) because I had also
            > had viruses to contend with.
            >
            > Dave S

          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
              Larry
              You are right. I tried it and it found another14 and I had those removed
              or quarantined. The following two programs that hsavage suggested are
              great, they are small and fast and free but I certainly intend to send
              the developer at least a token payment to keep him developing things
              like these two programs.. You will like these programs.
              http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/
              One is the backup for the registery [Erunt] to keep you out of trouble
              if you do goof up and the other just does a good job of
              Optimizing the register. The optimizer alone speeded my computer back up
              and now I will go in and try removing any bad registry entries.

              Registry Optimization for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP

              Thanks to everyone that helped with this problem. And Larry this was
              not a very long job to download the Microsoft Adware and Spyware
              remover, it works great, but be warned everyone it is still in the Beta
              stage, but I have had no problems with it. And I downloaded it with
              FireFox and my XP Pro is legal so no problem there.
              Ed

              Larry Hamilton wrote:

              > I just tried this and it found some stuff that both AdAware and SpyBot
              > Search & Destroy missed.
              >
              > Be forewarned, that it requires hoop jumping to install. Be ready to use
              > Internet Explorer to get it. It is an effort to prevent illegal copies
              > of Windows from getting it.
              >
              > > Ed/All,
              > >
              > > I just ran across this article that Microsoft has just released free
              > > anti-spyware and malware removal tools. I have not had time to check
              > > into them.
              > >
              > > Here is the link to the article:
              > >

              > http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783
              > <http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783>

              > **
            • Nigel Hall
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
                Hi Ed,

                Did you try a System Restore,
                (All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore)
                to restore your computer to a time when you know that it was working
                correctly? It is a very useful thing that XP has built into it.
                Probably I am stating the obvious, and you have already tried it, but
                it was just a thought.

                Best wishes,
                Nigel

                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Ed Brown <ebrown1927@c...> wrote:
                > I have done all the things obvious and recommended and nothing has
                > helped. I have cleaned up the disk, defraged, run scan disk, dumped
                the
                > Recycle bin, run LavaSoft newest edition to remove all spyware, and
                > just in case some was missed I used Spy Bot, found a lot removed it
                all,
                > ran 3 different virus scans. Found no virus or known trojans. Yet this
                > computer is extremely frustratingly slow. So what do you ladies and
                > guys suggest I do next? I am using XP home edition on this particular
                > computer.
                > Ed
                >
                > --
                > Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their
                minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
                > -- Everett McKinley Dirksen
              • Rosemary Culley
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 8, 2005
                  PCWorld has a lot of howto s which might help?
                  * How-to *

                  * Five-Minute Fixes
                  Rapid relief for balky PCs, stuck Windows, stalled networks,
                  recalcitrant printers, and your other everyday computing hassles.
                  http://pcwnl.pcworld.com/t/339162/8841650/968139/0/

                  also
                  Exploring Windows, a bi-weekly newsletter
                  January, 2005

                  Announcements, tips, tricks, and techniques for Windows users at home
                  and at the office.

                  Get plugged in with other users like you
                  Join the Windows XP Expert Zone community
                  <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808140> The Expert Zone is the center
                  for the online community and gives you a chance to meet people who share
                  your interest in Windows XP. Whether you're a highly skilled Windows
                  expert, or an enthusiastic new user of Windows XP, you can find peers
                  online in the Expert Zone community. A vibrant online community needs
                  people with answers and people with questions. So don't be shy, ask
                  questions and learn.

                  · How to participate
                  <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808141>

                  · Chat with other users anytime
                  <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808142>

                  · Meet some of the experts who write columns
                  <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808143>

                  · Get answers to your questions in the newsgroups
                  <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808144>

                  But think you have now found out what was wrong....

                  The trouble with reinstalling xp is that, I think, there is a maximum
                  number of times you can do this. Not quite sure what happens when you
                  exceed the number, 3 I think:-(

                  Cheers

                  In message <41DD51E2.90503@...>, Ed Brown
                  <ebrown1927@...> writes

                  >hsavage, Rosemary, Barrry,
                  >Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is 512mb. The
                  >computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz. The registry! Aye,the
                  >registry is where I think the problem lays. But poking around in the
                  >registry is not for everyone. I have tried several programs, free and
                  >expensive, that are supposed to deal with this--HOWEVER, when I have
                  >run them , they come up with many registry problems but then warn me
                  >some things that it has found and listed as problems, may not be
                  >problems and are needed by the computer therefore I should only remove
                  >those (Notice_ I _should remove them not the program and if I could do
                  >that I would not needed the program in the first place) that I am
                  >absolutely certain will not cause problems. Aye! There lies the rub. I
                  >have no idea which is what or what is which so to speak That is the
                  >reason I brought the app in the first place, to tell me what I need to
                  >remove, repair or replace and how to do those things. The registry
                  >repair programs or apps that I have bought end up being worthless.
                  >
                  >I have found some files missing that I have replaced and that helped
                  >some things like some programs that were not working now work, but as
                  >yet have not improved or increased the speed . I think this problem has
                  >occurred mainly and foremost because I removed a large number of
                  >ad-spy-ware, trojans and viruses over time. It seems that some of these
                  >may have taken part of the things I need with them as well as corrupted
                  >the registry.
                  >
                  >I believe that the best thing to do is simply to back up all my good
                  >data and programs that I wish to keep and format the hard drive and
                  >start over. Over all the years I have been computering and that is not
                  >that many, since '94, I have heard over and over that the hard drive
                  >should be formated annually. It seems that there is a great deal of
                  >truth in this. That never is any fun, and now since Microsoft as gotten
                  >so picky about reloading XP I am not sure how to handle this. Any ideas?
                  >Thanks again for your input,
                  >Ed
                  >
                  >Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their
                  >minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
                  > -- Everett McKinley Dirksen

                  Rosemary Culley
                  I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K
                  Jerome
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 9, 2005
                    Ed,

                    I was going to mention the erunt and registry optimizer, but another
                    poster beat me to it. I use them all the time.

                    I'm glad the MS beta helped.