Re: [NTO] Slow computer, a turtle is much faster

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
      Even a fragmented HDD won't have slowed things down that much. No I fear
      that the problem is elsewhere and a bit more serious.

      Take care Barry UK

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
        Barry,
        If you still have my original message, I wrote that I had already done
        all the things one normally does to speed up a computer, including I
        think, if I did not omit it, that I had defragged, ran scan drive and
        disk cleanup. The basics have already been completed. But the important
        thing is the fact that you offered some good information. People on this
        list are very very helpful and it is well to cover all bases. Thank you
        very much for your input it is very much appreciated
        Ed

        Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
        -- Everett McKinley Dirksen

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
          Hi Ed,

          I didn't read much of this thread, but if not mentioned, press
          Ctrl+Alt+Del and see if you have something running with a high
          CPU usage. Look under the Processes tab. You may need to View |
          Select Columns... You may have a program eating up your CPU time.

          > Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is
          > 512mb. The computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz.

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        • Carl Swann
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
            Thought I'd toss in another "posso"... when I
            installed Zone Alarm's 5.0 series (the free one),
            everything slowed down to a crawl. I uninstalled the
            5.0, rebooted, then re-installed the 4.5.594 free ZA
            version. Bingo! Everything was up & zippy again...

            I know of several others who've had similar
            experiences when "upgrading" to newer versions of
            programs; it seems the "interceptor-Type" programs
            such as ZA and the various anti-virus proggies
            [[*especially* Norton's products]] are the usual
            culprits.

            You might assess what (if any) upgrades or new
            installs you've made recently, and see if there may be
            any correlations you can discern.

            Carl Swann

            http://my.yahoo.com
          • Barry
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
              I agree with that. The v5 of ZA slowed me down as well but the latest
              version 5.5.062.004 seems to working just fine now.

              Take care Barry UK

              > Thought I'd toss in another "posso"... when I
              > installed Zone Alarm's 5.0 series (the free one),
              > everything slowed down to a crawl. I uninstalled the
              > 5.0, rebooted, then re-installed the 4.5.594 free ZA
              > version. Bingo! Everything was up & zippy again...
            • David Smart
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                I never reformat a hard drive unless it is showing hard-drive problems. Certainly never on a regular basis.

                However, you may actually be referring to deleting the operating system and reinstalling it. This can be done without reformatting the hard drive. Again, though, I never do it on a regular basis.

                I'm not an XP user, but have certainly done reinstallations of 98 and 2000 without losing data files. (However, I always take a full backup, just in case.)

                When things are starting to break, I'll normally do a reinstallation of the O/S over the top of the old one. My understanding is that XP has just such a facility, but you'd need to check this. Only if this doesn't fix things would I consider deleting and reinstalling from scratch.

                The most recent delete/install I did was on a customer's 98 machine that had been badly hit by spyware and a couple of viruses. I cleaned them out all right (sort of) but so much was corrupted that I decided the quickest solution was to delete and start again. In that case, I completely cleared the disk (delete not reformat) because I had also had viruses to contend with.

                Dave S

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                  Ed/All,

                  I just ran across this article that Microsoft has just released free
                  anti-spyware and malware removal tools. I have not had time to check
                  into them.

                  Here is the link to the article:

                  http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783

                  Larry Hamilton
                  lmh@...
                  My Webpage
                  Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

                  Ed Brown wrote:
                  > I have done all the things obvious and recommended and nothing has
                  > helped. I have cleaned up the disk, defraged, run scan disk, dumped the
                  > Recycle bin, run LavaSoft newest edition to remove all spyware, and
                  > just in case some was missed I used Spy Bot, found a lot removed it all,
                  > ran 3 different virus scans. Found no virus or known trojans. Yet this
                  > computer is extremely frustratingly slow. So what do you ladies and
                  > guys suggest I do next? I am using XP home edition on this particular
                  > computer.
                  > Ed
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                    I just tried this and it found some stuff that both AdAware and SpyBot
                    Search & Destroy missed.

                    Be forewarned, that it requires hoop jumping to install. Be ready to use
                    Internet Explorer to get it. It is an effort to prevent illegal copies
                    of Windows from getting it.

                    Larry Hamilton wrote:
                    > Ed/All,
                    >
                    > I just ran across this article that Microsoft has just released free
                    > anti-spyware and malware removal tools. I have not had time to check
                    > into them.
                    >
                    > Here is the link to the article:
                    >
                    > http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
                      America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose
                      our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

                      -- Abraham Lincoln

                      David Smart wrote:

                      > I never reformat a hard drive unless it is showing hard-drive
                      > problems. Certainly never on a regular basis.

                      David,
                      I have reformatted hard drives often and I have found it works wonders
                      in speeding things up. I think it is better than reinstalling over the
                      old OS and I believe [MHO] that deleting never completely deletes
                      everything. I am a believer in formating a hard drive at least once each
                      year. Just make sure that you save all your data and the drivers to
                      re-install then go to microsoft and make sure you are up todate on all
                      their patches, etc.
                      Ed

                      > However, you may actually be referring to deleting the operating
                      > system and reinstalling it. This can be done without reformatting the
                      > hard drive. Again, though, I never do it on a regular basis.
                      >
                      > I'm not an XP user, but have certainly done reinstallations of 98 and
                      > 2000 without losing data files. (However, I always take a full
                      > backup, just in case.)
                      >
                      > When things are starting to break, I'll normally do a reinstallation
                      > of the O/S over the top of the old one. My understanding is that XP
                      > has just such a facility, but you'd need to check this. Only if this
                      > doesn't fix things would I consider deleting and reinstalling from
                      > scratch.
                      >
                      > The most recent delete/install I did was on a customer's 98 machine
                      > that had been badly hit by spyware and a couple of viruses. I cleaned
                      > them out all right (sort of) but so much was corrupted that I decided
                      > the quickest solution was to delete and start again. In that case, I
                      > completely cleared the disk (delete not reformat) because I had also
                      > had viruses to contend with.
                      >
                      > Dave S

                    • Ed Brown
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
                        Larry
                        You are right. I tried it and it found another14 and I had those removed
                        or quarantined. The following two programs that hsavage suggested are
                        great, they are small and fast and free but I certainly intend to send
                        the developer at least a token payment to keep him developing things
                        like these two programs.. You will like these programs.
                        http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/
                        One is the backup for the registery [Erunt] to keep you out of trouble
                        if you do goof up and the other just does a good job of
                        Optimizing the register. The optimizer alone speeded my computer back up
                        and now I will go in and try removing any bad registry entries.

                        Registry Optimization for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP

                        Thanks to everyone that helped with this problem. And Larry this was
                        not a very long job to download the Microsoft Adware and Spyware
                        remover, it works great, but be warned everyone it is still in the Beta
                        stage, but I have had no problems with it. And I downloaded it with
                        FireFox and my XP Pro is legal so no problem there.
                        Ed

                        Larry Hamilton wrote:

                        > I just tried this and it found some stuff that both AdAware and SpyBot
                        > Search & Destroy missed.
                        >
                        > Be forewarned, that it requires hoop jumping to install. Be ready to use
                        > Internet Explorer to get it. It is an effort to prevent illegal copies
                        > of Windows from getting it.
                        >
                        > > Ed/All,
                        > >
                        > > I just ran across this article that Microsoft has just released free
                        > > anti-spyware and malware removal tools. I have not had time to check
                        > > into them.
                        > >
                        > > Here is the link to the article:
                        > >

                        > http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783
                        > <http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783>

                        > **
                      • Nigel Hall
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
                          Hi Ed,

                          Did you try a System Restore,
                          (All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore)
                          to restore your computer to a time when you know that it was working
                          correctly? It is a very useful thing that XP has built into it.
                          Probably I am stating the obvious, and you have already tried it, but
                          it was just a thought.

                          Best wishes,
                          Nigel

                          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Ed Brown <ebrown1927@c...> wrote:
                          > I have done all the things obvious and recommended and nothing has
                          > helped. I have cleaned up the disk, defraged, run scan disk, dumped
                          the
                          > Recycle bin, run LavaSoft newest edition to remove all spyware, and
                          > just in case some was missed I used Spy Bot, found a lot removed it
                          all,
                          > ran 3 different virus scans. Found no virus or known trojans. Yet this
                          > computer is extremely frustratingly slow. So what do you ladies and
                          > guys suggest I do next? I am using XP home edition on this particular
                          > computer.
                          > Ed
                          >
                          > --
                          > Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their
                          minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
                          > -- Everett McKinley Dirksen
                        • Rosemary Culley
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 8, 2005
                            PCWorld has a lot of howto s which might help?
                            * How-to *

                            * Five-Minute Fixes
                            Rapid relief for balky PCs, stuck Windows, stalled networks,
                            recalcitrant printers, and your other everyday computing hassles.
                            http://pcwnl.pcworld.com/t/339162/8841650/968139/0/

                            also
                            Exploring Windows, a bi-weekly newsletter
                            January, 2005

                            Announcements, tips, tricks, and techniques for Windows users at home
                            and at the office.

                            Get plugged in with other users like you
                            Join the Windows XP Expert Zone community
                            <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808140> The Expert Zone is the center
                            for the online community and gives you a chance to meet people who share
                            your interest in Windows XP. Whether you're a highly skilled Windows
                            expert, or an enthusiastic new user of Windows XP, you can find peers
                            online in the Expert Zone community. A vibrant online community needs
                            people with answers and people with questions. So don't be shy, ask
                            questions and learn.

                            · How to participate
                            <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808141>

                            · Chat with other users anytime
                            <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808142>

                            · Meet some of the experts who write columns
                            <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808143>

                            · Get answers to your questions in the newsgroups
                            <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808144>

                            But think you have now found out what was wrong....

                            The trouble with reinstalling xp is that, I think, there is a maximum
                            number of times you can do this. Not quite sure what happens when you
                            exceed the number, 3 I think:-(

                            Cheers

                            In message <41DD51E2.90503@...>, Ed Brown
                            <ebrown1927@...> writes

                            >hsavage, Rosemary, Barrry,
                            >Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is 512mb. The
                            >computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz. The registry! Aye,the
                            >registry is where I think the problem lays. But poking around in the
                            >registry is not for everyone. I have tried several programs, free and
                            >expensive, that are supposed to deal with this--HOWEVER, when I have
                            >run them , they come up with many registry problems but then warn me
                            >some things that it has found and listed as problems, may not be
                            >problems and are needed by the computer therefore I should only remove
                            >those (Notice_ I _should remove them not the program and if I could do
                            >that I would not needed the program in the first place) that I am
                            >absolutely certain will not cause problems. Aye! There lies the rub. I
                            >have no idea which is what or what is which so to speak That is the
                            >reason I brought the app in the first place, to tell me what I need to
                            >remove, repair or replace and how to do those things. The registry
                            >repair programs or apps that I have bought end up being worthless.
                            >
                            >I have found some files missing that I have replaced and that helped
                            >some things like some programs that were not working now work, but as
                            >yet have not improved or increased the speed . I think this problem has
                            >occurred mainly and foremost because I removed a large number of
                            >ad-spy-ware, trojans and viruses over time. It seems that some of these
                            >may have taken part of the things I need with them as well as corrupted
                            >the registry.
                            >
                            >I believe that the best thing to do is simply to back up all my good
                            >data and programs that I wish to keep and format the hard drive and
                            >start over. Over all the years I have been computering and that is not
                            >that many, since '94, I have heard over and over that the hard drive
                            >should be formated annually. It seems that there is a great deal of
                            >truth in this. That never is any fun, and now since Microsoft as gotten
                            >so picky about reloading XP I am not sure how to handle this. Any ideas?
                            >Thanks again for your input,
                            >Ed
                            >
                            >Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their
                            >minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
                            > -- Everett McKinley Dirksen

                            Rosemary Culley
                            I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K
                            Jerome
                          • Larry Hamilton
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 9, 2005
                              Ed,

                              I was going to mention the erunt and registry optimizer, but another
                              poster beat me to it. I use them all the time.

                              I'm glad the MS beta helped.