Re: [NTO] Slow computer, a turtle is much faster

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
      hsavage, Rosemary, Barrry,
      Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is 512mb. The
      computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz. The registry! Aye,the
      registry is where I think the problem lays. But poking around in the
      registry is not for everyone. I have tried several programs, free and
      expensive, that are supposed to deal with this--HOWEVER, when I have
      run them , they come up with many registry problems but then warn me
      some things that it has found and listed as problems, may not be
      problems and are needed by the computer therefore I should only remove
      those (Notice_ I _should remove them not the program and if I could do
      that I would not needed the program in the first place) that I am
      absolutely certain will not cause problems. Aye! There lies the rub. I
      have no idea which is what or what is which so to speak That is the
      reason I brought the app in the first place, to tell me what I need to
      remove, repair or replace and how to do those things. The registry
      repair programs or apps that I have bought end up being worthless.

      I have found some files missing that I have replaced and that helped
      some things like some programs that were not working now work, but as
      yet have not improved or increased the speed . I think this problem has
      occurred mainly and foremost because I removed a large number of
      ad-spy-ware, trojans and viruses over time. It seems that some of these
      may have taken part of the things I need with them as well as corrupted
      the registry.

      I believe that the best thing to do is simply to back up all my good
      data and programs that I wish to keep and format the hard drive and
      start over. Over all the years I have been computering and that is not
      that many, since '94, I have heard over and over that the hard drive
      should be formated annually. It seems that there is a great deal of
      truth in this. That never is any fun, and now since Microsoft as gotten
      so picky about reloading XP I am not sure how to handle this. Any ideas?
      Thanks again for your input,
      Ed

      Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
      -- Everett McKinley Dirksen

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
        nobody seems to have suggested one important thing to do
        defragment your hard drive
        another Barry

        Ed Brown wrote:

        >hsavage, Rosemary, Barrry,
        >Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is 512mb. The
        >computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz. The registry! Aye,the
        >registry is where I think the problem lays. But poking around in the
        >registry is not for everyone. I have tried several programs, free and
        >expensive, that are supposed to deal with this--HOWEVER, when I have
        >run them , they come up with many registry problems but then warn me
        >some things that it has found and listed as problems, may not be
        >problems and are needed by the computer therefore I should only remove
        >those (Notice_ I _should remove them not the program and if I could do
        >that I would not needed the program in the first place) that I am
        >absolutely certain will not cause problems. Aye! There lies the rub. I
        >have no idea which is what or what is which so to speak That is the
        >reason I brought the app in the first place, to tell me what I need to
        >remove, repair or replace and how to do those things. The registry
        >repair programs or apps that I have bought end up being worthless.
        >
        >I have found some files missing that I have replaced and that helped
        >some things like some programs that were not working now work, but as
        >yet have not improved or increased the speed . I think this problem has
        >occurred mainly and foremost because I removed a large number of
        >ad-spy-ware, trojans and viruses over time. It seems that some of these
        >may have taken part of the things I need with them as well as corrupted
        >the registry.
        >
        >I believe that the best thing to do is simply to back up all my good
        >data and programs that I wish to keep and format the hard drive and
        >start over. Over all the years I have been computering and that is not
        >that many, since '94, I have heard over and over that the hard drive
        >should be formated annually. It seems that there is a great deal of
        >truth in this. That never is any fun, and now since Microsoft as gotten
        >so picky about reloading XP I am not sure how to handle this. Any ideas?
        >Thanks again for your input,
        >Ed
        >
        >Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
        > -- Everett McKinley Dirksen

      • R Shapp
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
          Hi Ed,

          If you haven't already done so, press Ctrl+Alt+Del once. That brings up the
          Task Manager. Open the Processes tab then sort by "CPU". That will show you
          the percentage of CPU time being consumed by each process. On my system, when
          my anti-virus software is doing a scan, it can take 80% or 90% of CPU time.
          Everything else slows to a crawl.

          HTH

          Ray Shapp
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
            Ed Brown wrote:
            > hsavage, Rosemary, Barrry,
            > Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is 512mb. The
            > computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz. The registry! Aye,the
            > registry is where I think the problem lays. But poking around in the
            > registry is not for everyone. I have tried several programs, free and
            > expensive, that are supposed to deal with this--HOWEVER, when I have
            > run them , they come up with many registry problems but then warn me
            > some things that it has found and listed as problems, may not be
            > problems and are needed by the computer therefore I should only remove
            > those (Notice_ I _should remove them not the program and if I could do
            > that I would not needed the program in the first place) that I am
            > absolutely certain will not cause problems.
            >
            > Thanks again for your input,
            > Ed

            Ed,

            If you're worried about destroying the registry there are a couple of
            free utilities, eruNT, to backup the registry, NTregopt to
            optimize/compress it. By compress, in this case, I'm relatively sure
            it's tantamount to defragging the hard drive, removes unnecessary free
            space in the registry files. You can download from the below link. Be
            sure to view, copy and paste into a txt file the detailed information
            for each. These links are just below the program download links.

            http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

            With these you can backup then run the registry cleaners. Cleaners have
            the disclaimer but if you exercise just a little caution, actually read
            the contents of the entries suggested for removal, you should be OK.

            Of the cleaners I've used, several, I don't recall any disastrous
            consequences. If anything should happen and you have crucial info
            backed up you won't be any worse of than you think you are now.
            Reformatting is a pretty radical solution.

            ºvº
            05.01.06
            hrs > hsavage@...
          • Barry
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
              Even a fragmented HDD won't have slowed things down that much. No I fear
              that the problem is elsewhere and a bit more serious.

              Take care Barry UK

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                Barry,
                If you still have my original message, I wrote that I had already done
                all the things one normally does to speed up a computer, including I
                think, if I did not omit it, that I had defragged, ran scan drive and
                disk cleanup. The basics have already been completed. But the important
                thing is the fact that you offered some good information. People on this
                list are very very helpful and it is well to cover all bases. Thank you
                very much for your input it is very much appreciated

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                  Hi Ed,

                  I didn't read much of this thread, but if not mentioned, press
                  Ctrl+Alt+Del and see if you have something running with a high
                  CPU usage. Look under the Processes tab. You may need to View |
                  Select Columns... You may have a program eating up your CPU time.

                  > Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is
                  > 512mb. The computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz.

                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                • Carl Swann
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                    Thought I'd toss in another "posso"... when I
                    installed Zone Alarm's 5.0 series (the free one),
                    everything slowed down to a crawl. I uninstalled the
                    5.0, rebooted, then re-installed the 4.5.594 free ZA
                    version. Bingo! Everything was up & zippy again...

                    I know of several others who've had similar
                    experiences when "upgrading" to newer versions of
                    programs; it seems the "interceptor-Type" programs
                    such as ZA and the various anti-virus proggies
                    [[*especially* Norton's products]] are the usual
                    culprits.

                    You might assess what (if any) upgrades or new
                    installs you've made recently, and see if there may be
                    any correlations you can discern.

                    Carl Swann

                    http://my.yahoo.com
                  • Barry
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                      I agree with that. The v5 of ZA slowed me down as well but the latest
                      version 5.5.062.004 seems to working just fine now.

                      Take care Barry UK

                      > Thought I'd toss in another "posso"... when I
                      > installed Zone Alarm's 5.0 series (the free one),
                      > everything slowed down to a crawl. I uninstalled the
                      > 5.0, rebooted, then re-installed the 4.5.594 free ZA
                      > version. Bingo! Everything was up & zippy again...
                    • David Smart
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                        I never reformat a hard drive unless it is showing hard-drive problems. Certainly never on a regular basis.

                        However, you may actually be referring to deleting the operating system and reinstalling it. This can be done without reformatting the hard drive. Again, though, I never do it on a regular basis.

                        I'm not an XP user, but have certainly done reinstallations of 98 and 2000 without losing data files. (However, I always take a full backup, just in case.)

                        When things are starting to break, I'll normally do a reinstallation of the O/S over the top of the old one. My understanding is that XP has just such a facility, but you'd need to check this. Only if this doesn't fix things would I consider deleting and reinstalling from scratch.

                        The most recent delete/install I did was on a customer's 98 machine that had been badly hit by spyware and a couple of viruses. I cleaned them out all right (sort of) but so much was corrupted that I decided the quickest solution was to delete and start again. In that case, I completely cleared the disk (delete not reformat) because I had also had viruses to contend with.

                        Dave S

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                          Ed/All,

                          I just ran across this article that Microsoft has just released free
                          anti-spyware and malware removal tools. I have not had time to check
                          into them.

                          Here is the link to the article:

                          http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783

                          Larry Hamilton
                          lmh@...
                          My Webpage
                          Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

                          Ed Brown wrote:
                          > I have done all the things obvious and recommended and nothing has
                          > helped. I have cleaned up the disk, defraged, run scan disk, dumped the
                          > Recycle bin, run LavaSoft newest edition to remove all spyware, and
                          > just in case some was missed I used Spy Bot, found a lot removed it all,
                          > ran 3 different virus scans. Found no virus or known trojans. Yet this
                          > computer is extremely frustratingly slow. So what do you ladies and
                          > guys suggest I do next? I am using XP home edition on this particular
                          > computer.
                          > Ed
                        • Larry Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                            I just tried this and it found some stuff that both AdAware and SpyBot
                            Search & Destroy missed.

                            Be forewarned, that it requires hoop jumping to install. Be ready to use
                            Internet Explorer to get it. It is an effort to prevent illegal copies
                            of Windows from getting it.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
                              America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose
                              our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

                              -- Abraham Lincoln

                              David Smart wrote:

                              > I never reformat a hard drive unless it is showing hard-drive
                              > problems. Certainly never on a regular basis.

                              David,
                              I have reformatted hard drives often and I have found it works wonders
                              in speeding things up. I think it is better than reinstalling over the
                              old OS and I believe [MHO] that deleting never completely deletes
                              everything. I am a believer in formating a hard drive at least once each
                              year. Just make sure that you save all your data and the drivers to
                              re-install then go to microsoft and make sure you are up todate on all
                              their patches, etc.
                              Ed

                              > However, you may actually be referring to deleting the operating
                              > system and reinstalling it. This can be done without reformatting the
                              > hard drive. Again, though, I never do it on a regular basis.
                              >
                              > I'm not an XP user, but have certainly done reinstallations of 98 and
                              > 2000 without losing data files. (However, I always take a full
                              > backup, just in case.)
                              >
                              > When things are starting to break, I'll normally do a reinstallation
                              > of the O/S over the top of the old one. My understanding is that XP
                              > has just such a facility, but you'd need to check this. Only if this
                              > doesn't fix things would I consider deleting and reinstalling from
                              > scratch.
                              >
                              > The most recent delete/install I did was on a customer's 98 machine
                              > that had been badly hit by spyware and a couple of viruses. I cleaned
                              > them out all right (sort of) but so much was corrupted that I decided
                              > the quickest solution was to delete and start again. In that case, I
                              > completely cleared the disk (delete not reformat) because I had also
                              > had viruses to contend with.
                              >
                              > Dave S

                            • Ed Brown
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
                                Larry
                                You are right. I tried it and it found another14 and I had those removed
                                or quarantined. The following two programs that hsavage suggested are
                                great, they are small and fast and free but I certainly intend to send
                                the developer at least a token payment to keep him developing things
                                like these two programs.. You will like these programs.
                                http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/
                                One is the backup for the registery [Erunt] to keep you out of trouble
                                if you do goof up and the other just does a good job of
                                Optimizing the register. The optimizer alone speeded my computer back up
                                and now I will go in and try removing any bad registry entries.

                                Registry Optimization for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP

                                Thanks to everyone that helped with this problem. And Larry this was
                                not a very long job to download the Microsoft Adware and Spyware
                                remover, it works great, but be warned everyone it is still in the Beta
                                stage, but I have had no problems with it. And I downloaded it with
                                FireFox and my XP Pro is legal so no problem there.
                                Ed

                                Larry Hamilton wrote:

                                > I just tried this and it found some stuff that both AdAware and SpyBot
                                > Search & Destroy missed.
                                >
                                > Be forewarned, that it requires hoop jumping to install. Be ready to use
                                > Internet Explorer to get it. It is an effort to prevent illegal copies
                                > of Windows from getting it.
                                >
                                > > Ed/All,
                                > >
                                > > I just ran across this article that Microsoft has just released free
                                > > anti-spyware and malware removal tools. I have not had time to check
                                > > into them.
                                > >
                                > > Here is the link to the article:
                                > >

                                > http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783
                                > <http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783>

                                > **
                              • Nigel Hall
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
                                  Hi Ed,

                                  Did you try a System Restore,
                                  (All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore)
                                  to restore your computer to a time when you know that it was working
                                  correctly? It is a very useful thing that XP has built into it.
                                  Probably I am stating the obvious, and you have already tried it, but
                                  it was just a thought.

                                  Best wishes,
                                  Nigel

                                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Ed Brown <ebrown1927@c...> wrote:
                                  > I have done all the things obvious and recommended and nothing has
                                  > helped. I have cleaned up the disk, defraged, run scan disk, dumped
                                  the
                                  > Recycle bin, run LavaSoft newest edition to remove all spyware, and
                                  > just in case some was missed I used Spy Bot, found a lot removed it
                                  all,
                                  > ran 3 different virus scans. Found no virus or known trojans. Yet this
                                  > computer is extremely frustratingly slow. So what do you ladies and
                                  > guys suggest I do next? I am using XP home edition on this particular
                                  > computer.
                                  > Ed
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their
                                  minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
                                  > -- Everett McKinley Dirksen
                                • Rosemary Culley
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 8, 2005
                                    PCWorld has a lot of howto s which might help?
                                    * How-to *

                                    * Five-Minute Fixes
                                    Rapid relief for balky PCs, stuck Windows, stalled networks,
                                    recalcitrant printers, and your other everyday computing hassles.
                                    http://pcwnl.pcworld.com/t/339162/8841650/968139/0/

                                    also
                                    Exploring Windows, a bi-weekly newsletter
                                    January, 2005

                                    Announcements, tips, tricks, and techniques for Windows users at home
                                    and at the office.

                                    Get plugged in with other users like you
                                    Join the Windows XP Expert Zone community
                                    <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808140> The Expert Zone is the center
                                    for the online community and gives you a chance to meet people who share
                                    your interest in Windows XP. Whether you're a highly skilled Windows
                                    expert, or an enthusiastic new user of Windows XP, you can find peers
                                    online in the Expert Zone community. A vibrant online community needs
                                    people with answers and people with questions. So don't be shy, ask
                                    questions and learn.

                                    · How to participate
                                    <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808141>

                                    · Chat with other users anytime
                                    <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808142>

                                    · Meet some of the experts who write columns
                                    <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808143>

                                    · Get answers to your questions in the newsgroups
                                    <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808144>

                                    But think you have now found out what was wrong....

                                    The trouble with reinstalling xp is that, I think, there is a maximum
                                    number of times you can do this. Not quite sure what happens when you
                                    exceed the number, 3 I think:-(

                                    Cheers

                                    In message <41DD51E2.90503@...>, Ed Brown
                                    <ebrown1927@...> writes

                                    >hsavage, Rosemary, Barrry,
                                    >Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is 512mb. The
                                    >computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz. The registry! Aye,the
                                    >registry is where I think the problem lays. But poking around in the
                                    >registry is not for everyone. I have tried several programs, free and
                                    >expensive, that are supposed to deal with this--HOWEVER, when I have
                                    >run them , they come up with many registry problems but then warn me
                                    >some things that it has found and listed as problems, may not be
                                    >problems and are needed by the computer therefore I should only remove
                                    >those (Notice_ I _should remove them not the program and if I could do
                                    >that I would not needed the program in the first place) that I am
                                    >absolutely certain will not cause problems. Aye! There lies the rub. I
                                    >have no idea which is what or what is which so to speak That is the
                                    >reason I brought the app in the first place, to tell me what I need to
                                    >remove, repair or replace and how to do those things. The registry
                                    >repair programs or apps that I have bought end up being worthless.
                                    >
                                    >I have found some files missing that I have replaced and that helped
                                    >some things like some programs that were not working now work, but as
                                    >yet have not improved or increased the speed . I think this problem has
                                    >occurred mainly and foremost because I removed a large number of
                                    >ad-spy-ware, trojans and viruses over time. It seems that some of these
                                    >may have taken part of the things I need with them as well as corrupted
                                    >the registry.
                                    >
                                    >I believe that the best thing to do is simply to back up all my good
                                    >data and programs that I wish to keep and format the hard drive and
                                    >start over. Over all the years I have been computering and that is not
                                    >that many, since '94, I have heard over and over that the hard drive
                                    >should be formated annually. It seems that there is a great deal of
                                    >truth in this. That never is any fun, and now since Microsoft as gotten
                                    >so picky about reloading XP I am not sure how to handle this. Any ideas?
                                    >Thanks again for your input,
                                    >Ed
                                    >
                                    >Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their
                                    >minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
                                    > -- Everett McKinley Dirksen

                                    Rosemary Culley
                                    I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K
                                    Jerome
                                  • Larry Hamilton
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 9, 2005
                                      Ed,

                                      I was going to mention the erunt and registry optimizer, but another
                                      poster beat me to it. I use them all the time.

                                      I'm glad the MS beta helped.