Re: [NTO] Slow computer, a turtle is much faster

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
      Slow running could be due to one of several reasons or any combination. The
      most obvious is insufficient RAM to deal with all the programs you have open
      simultaneously. Another reason could be is that your registry needs
      cleaning and unscrambling. Or you could have a missing or corrupted systems
      file and you're OS is taking time to find a workaround. Another and not so
      obvious reason is that your CPU is simply not fast enough to handle the XP
      program requirements and it may need upgrading. And so on and so
      forth..........

      Take care Barry UK

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
          nobody seems to have suggested one important thing to do
          defragment your hard drive
          another Barry

          Ed Brown wrote:

          >hsavage, Rosemary, Barrry,
          >Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is 512mb. The
          >computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz. The registry! Aye,the
          >registry is where I think the problem lays. But poking around in the
          >registry is not for everyone. I have tried several programs, free and
          >expensive, that are supposed to deal with this--HOWEVER, when I have
          >run them , they come up with many registry problems but then warn me
          >some things that it has found and listed as problems, may not be
          >problems and are needed by the computer therefore I should only remove
          >those (Notice_ I _should remove them not the program and if I could do
          >that I would not needed the program in the first place) that I am
          >absolutely certain will not cause problems. Aye! There lies the rub. I
          >have no idea which is what or what is which so to speak That is the
          >reason I brought the app in the first place, to tell me what I need to
          >remove, repair or replace and how to do those things. The registry
          >repair programs or apps that I have bought end up being worthless.
          >
          >I have found some files missing that I have replaced and that helped
          >some things like some programs that were not working now work, but as
          >yet have not improved or increased the speed . I think this problem has
          >occurred mainly and foremost because I removed a large number of
          >ad-spy-ware, trojans and viruses over time. It seems that some of these
          >may have taken part of the things I need with them as well as corrupted
          >the registry.
          >
          >I believe that the best thing to do is simply to back up all my good
          >data and programs that I wish to keep and format the hard drive and
          >start over. Over all the years I have been computering and that is not
          >that many, since '94, I have heard over and over that the hard drive
          >should be formated annually. It seems that there is a great deal of
          >truth in this. That never is any fun, and now since Microsoft as gotten
          >so picky about reloading XP I am not sure how to handle this. Any ideas?
          >Thanks again for your input,
          >Ed
          >
          >Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
          > -- Everett McKinley Dirksen

        • R Shapp
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
            Hi Ed,

            If you haven't already done so, press Ctrl+Alt+Del once. That brings up the
            Task Manager. Open the Processes tab then sort by "CPU". That will show you
            the percentage of CPU time being consumed by each process. On my system, when
            my anti-virus software is doing a scan, it can take 80% or 90% of CPU time.
            Everything else slows to a crawl.

            HTH

            Ray Shapp
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
              Ed Brown wrote:
              > hsavage, Rosemary, Barrry,
              > Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is 512mb. The
              > computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz. The registry! Aye,the
              > registry is where I think the problem lays. But poking around in the
              > registry is not for everyone. I have tried several programs, free and
              > expensive, that are supposed to deal with this--HOWEVER, when I have
              > run them , they come up with many registry problems but then warn me
              > some things that it has found and listed as problems, may not be
              > problems and are needed by the computer therefore I should only remove
              > those (Notice_ I _should remove them not the program and if I could do
              > that I would not needed the program in the first place) that I am
              > absolutely certain will not cause problems.
              >
              > Thanks again for your input,
              > Ed

              Ed,

              If you're worried about destroying the registry there are a couple of
              free utilities, eruNT, to backup the registry, NTregopt to
              optimize/compress it. By compress, in this case, I'm relatively sure
              it's tantamount to defragging the hard drive, removes unnecessary free
              space in the registry files. You can download from the below link. Be
              sure to view, copy and paste into a txt file the detailed information
              for each. These links are just below the program download links.

              http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

              With these you can backup then run the registry cleaners. Cleaners have
              the disclaimer but if you exercise just a little caution, actually read
              the contents of the entries suggested for removal, you should be OK.

              Of the cleaners I've used, several, I don't recall any disastrous
              consequences. If anything should happen and you have crucial info
              backed up you won't be any worse of than you think you are now.
              Reformatting is a pretty radical solution.

              ºvº
              05.01.06
              hrs > hsavage@...
            • Barry
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                Even a fragmented HDD won't have slowed things down that much. No I fear
                that the problem is elsewhere and a bit more serious.

                Take care Barry UK

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                  Barry,
                  If you still have my original message, I wrote that I had already done
                  all the things one normally does to speed up a computer, including I
                  think, if I did not omit it, that I had defragged, ran scan drive and
                  disk cleanup. The basics have already been completed. But the important
                  thing is the fact that you offered some good information. People on this
                  list are very very helpful and it is well to cover all bases. Thank you
                  very much for your input it is very much appreciated

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                    Hi Ed,

                    I didn't read much of this thread, but if not mentioned, press
                    Ctrl+Alt+Del and see if you have something running with a high
                    CPU usage. Look under the Processes tab. You may need to View |
                    Select Columns... You may have a program eating up your CPU time.

                    > Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is
                    > 512mb. The computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz.

                    http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                  • Carl Swann
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                      Thought I'd toss in another "posso"... when I
                      installed Zone Alarm's 5.0 series (the free one),
                      everything slowed down to a crawl. I uninstalled the
                      5.0, rebooted, then re-installed the 4.5.594 free ZA
                      version. Bingo! Everything was up & zippy again...

                      I know of several others who've had similar
                      experiences when "upgrading" to newer versions of
                      programs; it seems the "interceptor-Type" programs
                      such as ZA and the various anti-virus proggies
                      [[*especially* Norton's products]] are the usual
                      culprits.

                      You might assess what (if any) upgrades or new
                      installs you've made recently, and see if there may be
                      any correlations you can discern.

                      Carl Swann

                      http://my.yahoo.com
                    • Barry
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                        I agree with that. The v5 of ZA slowed me down as well but the latest
                        version 5.5.062.004 seems to working just fine now.

                        Take care Barry UK

                        > Thought I'd toss in another "posso"... when I
                        > installed Zone Alarm's 5.0 series (the free one),
                        > everything slowed down to a crawl. I uninstalled the
                        > 5.0, rebooted, then re-installed the 4.5.594 free ZA
                        > version. Bingo! Everything was up & zippy again...
                      • David Smart
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                          I never reformat a hard drive unless it is showing hard-drive problems. Certainly never on a regular basis.

                          However, you may actually be referring to deleting the operating system and reinstalling it. This can be done without reformatting the hard drive. Again, though, I never do it on a regular basis.

                          I'm not an XP user, but have certainly done reinstallations of 98 and 2000 without losing data files. (However, I always take a full backup, just in case.)

                          When things are starting to break, I'll normally do a reinstallation of the O/S over the top of the old one. My understanding is that XP has just such a facility, but you'd need to check this. Only if this doesn't fix things would I consider deleting and reinstalling from scratch.

                          The most recent delete/install I did was on a customer's 98 machine that had been badly hit by spyware and a couple of viruses. I cleaned them out all right (sort of) but so much was corrupted that I decided the quickest solution was to delete and start again. In that case, I completely cleared the disk (delete not reformat) because I had also had viruses to contend with.

                          Dave S

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                            Ed/All,

                            I just ran across this article that Microsoft has just released free
                            anti-spyware and malware removal tools. I have not had time to check
                            into them.

                            Here is the link to the article:

                            http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783

                            Larry Hamilton
                            lmh@...
                            My Webpage
                            Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

                            Ed Brown wrote:
                            > I have done all the things obvious and recommended and nothing has
                            > helped. I have cleaned up the disk, defraged, run scan disk, dumped the
                            > Recycle bin, run LavaSoft newest edition to remove all spyware, and
                            > just in case some was missed I used Spy Bot, found a lot removed it all,
                            > ran 3 different virus scans. Found no virus or known trojans. Yet this
                            > computer is extremely frustratingly slow. So what do you ladies and
                            > guys suggest I do next? I am using XP home edition on this particular
                            > computer.
                            > Ed
                          • Larry Hamilton
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 6, 2005
                              I just tried this and it found some stuff that both AdAware and SpyBot
                              Search & Destroy missed.

                              Be forewarned, that it requires hoop jumping to install. Be ready to use
                              Internet Explorer to get it. It is an effort to prevent illegal copies
                              of Windows from getting it.

                              Larry Hamilton wrote:
                              > Ed/All,
                              >
                              > I just ran across this article that Microsoft has just released free
                              > anti-spyware and malware removal tools. I have not had time to check
                              > into them.
                              >
                              > Here is the link to the article:
                              >
                              > http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783
                            • Ed Brown
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
                                America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose
                                our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

                                -- Abraham Lincoln

                                David Smart wrote:

                                > I never reformat a hard drive unless it is showing hard-drive
                                > problems. Certainly never on a regular basis.

                                David,
                                I have reformatted hard drives often and I have found it works wonders
                                in speeding things up. I think it is better than reinstalling over the
                                old OS and I believe [MHO] that deleting never completely deletes
                                everything. I am a believer in formating a hard drive at least once each
                                year. Just make sure that you save all your data and the drivers to
                                re-install then go to microsoft and make sure you are up todate on all
                                their patches, etc.
                                Ed

                                > However, you may actually be referring to deleting the operating
                                > system and reinstalling it. This can be done without reformatting the
                                > hard drive. Again, though, I never do it on a regular basis.
                                >
                                > I'm not an XP user, but have certainly done reinstallations of 98 and
                                > 2000 without losing data files. (However, I always take a full
                                > backup, just in case.)
                                >
                                > When things are starting to break, I'll normally do a reinstallation
                                > of the O/S over the top of the old one. My understanding is that XP
                                > has just such a facility, but you'd need to check this. Only if this
                                > doesn't fix things would I consider deleting and reinstalling from
                                > scratch.
                                >
                                > The most recent delete/install I did was on a customer's 98 machine
                                > that had been badly hit by spyware and a couple of viruses. I cleaned
                                > them out all right (sort of) but so much was corrupted that I decided
                                > the quickest solution was to delete and start again. In that case, I
                                > completely cleared the disk (delete not reformat) because I had also
                                > had viruses to contend with.
                                >
                                > Dave S

                              • Ed Brown
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
                                  Larry
                                  You are right. I tried it and it found another14 and I had those removed
                                  or quarantined. The following two programs that hsavage suggested are
                                  great, they are small and fast and free but I certainly intend to send
                                  the developer at least a token payment to keep him developing things
                                  like these two programs.. You will like these programs.
                                  http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/
                                  One is the backup for the registery [Erunt] to keep you out of trouble
                                  if you do goof up and the other just does a good job of
                                  Optimizing the register. The optimizer alone speeded my computer back up
                                  and now I will go in and try removing any bad registry entries.

                                  Registry Optimization for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP

                                  Thanks to everyone that helped with this problem. And Larry this was
                                  not a very long job to download the Microsoft Adware and Spyware
                                  remover, it works great, but be warned everyone it is still in the Beta
                                  stage, but I have had no problems with it. And I downloaded it with
                                  FireFox and my XP Pro is legal so no problem there.
                                  Ed

                                  Larry Hamilton wrote:

                                  > I just tried this and it found some stuff that both AdAware and SpyBot
                                  > Search & Destroy missed.
                                  >
                                  > Be forewarned, that it requires hoop jumping to install. Be ready to use
                                  > Internet Explorer to get it. It is an effort to prevent illegal copies
                                  > of Windows from getting it.
                                  >
                                  > > Ed/All,
                                  > >
                                  > > I just ran across this article that Microsoft has just released free
                                  > > anti-spyware and malware removal tools. I have not had time to check
                                  > > into them.
                                  > >
                                  > > Here is the link to the article:
                                  > >

                                  > http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783
                                  > <http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,98783,00.html?source=NLT_PM&nid=98783>

                                  > **
                                • Nigel Hall
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 7, 2005
                                    Hi Ed,

                                    Did you try a System Restore,
                                    (All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore)
                                    to restore your computer to a time when you know that it was working
                                    correctly? It is a very useful thing that XP has built into it.
                                    Probably I am stating the obvious, and you have already tried it, but
                                    it was just a thought.

                                    Best wishes,
                                    Nigel

                                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Ed Brown <ebrown1927@c...> wrote:
                                    > I have done all the things obvious and recommended and nothing has
                                    > helped. I have cleaned up the disk, defraged, run scan disk, dumped
                                    the
                                    > Recycle bin, run LavaSoft newest edition to remove all spyware, and
                                    > just in case some was missed I used Spy Bot, found a lot removed it
                                    all,
                                    > ran 3 different virus scans. Found no virus or known trojans. Yet this
                                    > computer is extremely frustratingly slow. So what do you ladies and
                                    > guys suggest I do next? I am using XP home edition on this particular
                                    > computer.
                                    > Ed
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their
                                    minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
                                    > -- Everett McKinley Dirksen
                                  • Rosemary Culley
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 8, 2005
                                      PCWorld has a lot of howto s which might help?
                                      * How-to *

                                      * Five-Minute Fixes
                                      Rapid relief for balky PCs, stuck Windows, stalled networks,
                                      recalcitrant printers, and your other everyday computing hassles.
                                      http://pcwnl.pcworld.com/t/339162/8841650/968139/0/

                                      also
                                      Exploring Windows, a bi-weekly newsletter
                                      January, 2005

                                      Announcements, tips, tricks, and techniques for Windows users at home
                                      and at the office.

                                      Get plugged in with other users like you
                                      Join the Windows XP Expert Zone community
                                      <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808140> The Expert Zone is the center
                                      for the online community and gives you a chance to meet people who share
                                      your interest in Windows XP. Whether you're a highly skilled Windows
                                      expert, or an enthusiastic new user of Windows XP, you can find peers
                                      online in the Expert Zone community. A vibrant online community needs
                                      people with answers and people with questions. So don't be shy, ask
                                      questions and learn.

                                      · How to participate
                                      <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808141>

                                      · Chat with other users anytime
                                      <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808142>

                                      · Meet some of the experts who write columns
                                      <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808143>

                                      · Get answers to your questions in the newsgroups
                                      <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=1808144>

                                      But think you have now found out what was wrong....

                                      The trouble with reinstalling xp is that, I think, there is a maximum
                                      number of times you can do this. Not quite sure what happens when you
                                      exceed the number, 3 I think:-(

                                      Cheers

                                      In message <41DD51E2.90503@...>, Ed Brown
                                      <ebrown1927@...> writes

                                      >hsavage, Rosemary, Barrry,
                                      >Thanks for your input. The ram should be sufficient as it is 512mb. The
                                      >computer is almost new and the speed is 2.6 ghz. The registry! Aye,the
                                      >registry is where I think the problem lays. But poking around in the
                                      >registry is not for everyone. I have tried several programs, free and
                                      >expensive, that are supposed to deal with this--HOWEVER, when I have
                                      >run them , they come up with many registry problems but then warn me
                                      >some things that it has found and listed as problems, may not be
                                      >problems and are needed by the computer therefore I should only remove
                                      >those (Notice_ I _should remove them not the program and if I could do
                                      >that I would not needed the program in the first place) that I am
                                      >absolutely certain will not cause problems. Aye! There lies the rub. I
                                      >have no idea which is what or what is which so to speak That is the
                                      >reason I brought the app in the first place, to tell me what I need to
                                      >remove, repair or replace and how to do those things. The registry
                                      >repair programs or apps that I have bought end up being worthless.
                                      >
                                      >I have found some files missing that I have replaced and that helped
                                      >some things like some programs that were not working now work, but as
                                      >yet have not improved or increased the speed . I think this problem has
                                      >occurred mainly and foremost because I removed a large number of
                                      >ad-spy-ware, trojans and viruses over time. It seems that some of these
                                      >may have taken part of the things I need with them as well as corrupted
                                      >the registry.
                                      >
                                      >I believe that the best thing to do is simply to back up all my good
                                      >data and programs that I wish to keep and format the hard drive and
                                      >start over. Over all the years I have been computering and that is not
                                      >that many, since '94, I have heard over and over that the hard drive
                                      >should be formated annually. It seems that there is a great deal of
                                      >truth in this. That never is any fun, and now since Microsoft as gotten
                                      >so picky about reloading XP I am not sure how to handle this. Any ideas?
                                      >Thanks again for your input,
                                      >Ed
                                      >
                                      >Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their
                                      >minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
                                      > -- Everett McKinley Dirksen

                                      Rosemary Culley
                                      I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K
                                      Jerome
                                    • Larry Hamilton
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 9, 2005
                                        Ed,

                                        I was going to mention the erunt and registry optimizer, but another
                                        poster beat me to it. I use them all the time.

                                        I'm glad the MS beta helped.