Disappearing drive labels

  • Paul M. King
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2005
      While plumbing the mysteries of partitioning, I have lost the labels to
      three drives. I went to Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools |
      Computer Management | Disk Management to take a look at five partitions I
      had just created, I found only two labels had stuck, C: for the OS and G:
      for application downloads.

      Drives D, E:\ and F:\ had gone south for the winter just after I had
      created and labeled them while restoring WINXP Home on a 40gig HD.

      Since I found the help files a little confusing at the Disk Management
      site, I am seeking a little advice from someone older and wiser than I am.
      I am looking at the graph of the new partitions and find they are labeled
      New Volume D, New Volume E, and New Volume F.

      If I try to place any files on these drives, a warning tells me they are
      not prepared to accept new data and that I must manipulate volume numbers
      (which I didn't assign to any drive) and then assign letters to them and
      apparently do it at the command line in DOS.

      Can anyone cast some sunshine into this corner?

      Paul King