Re: [NTO] dot ink

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 12, 2004
      Ed Brown wrote:
      >I received a small electronic book from a friend who said it was written
      >in Word, but instead of having .doc it has .ink
      >I cannot open it. What is .ink or dot ink? Diann's Book.ink is what I
      >see but it will not open in my computer. What do I need to open it?

      Sure it says .ink and not lnk (LNK)?

      Lotta
    • Barry
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
        <A digital "ink" file produced by the io pen when used to write on digital
        paper. > You should be able to open this file using one of the graphics
        converters.

        Take care Barry UK

        > I received a small electronic book from a friend who said it was written
        > in Word, but instead of having .doc it has .ink
        > I cannot open it. What is .ink or dot ink? Diann's Book.ink is what I
        > see but it will not open in my computer. What do I need to open it?
        > Ed
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
          loro,
          I think you are right, it is a small L instead of an i. But how do I
          open it or change the extension?
          Ed

          loro wrote:

          > Ed Brown wrote:
          > >I received a small electronic book from a friend who said it was written
          > >in Word, but instead of having .doc it has .ink
          > >I cannot open it. What is .ink or dot ink? Diann's Book.ink is what I
          > >see but it will not open in my computer. What do I need to open it?
          >
          > Sure it says .ink and not lnk (LNK)?
          >
          > Lotta
          >

          > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
          > click here
          > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129m90dn8/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1103002885/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

          Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow.
          They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
          -- Anne Tyler

        • Christine
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
            Ed, right-click on it and rename.
            If it is actually a Word doc, it will open.
            The first thing the program does is check the file extension. It's like a
            lazy kid. If it fails to recognize the extension, it stops cold. No
            suggestions, no continuing thought or problem solving, etc. It just sits
            there with its finger in its nose complaining about being bored.

            Christine

            I think you are right, it is a small L instead of an i. But how do I
            open it or change the extension?
            Ed
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
              Ed Brown wrote:
              > I received a small electronic book from a friend who said it was written
              > in Word, but instead of having .doc it has .ink
              > I cannot open it. What is .ink or dot ink? Diann's Book.ink is what I
              > see but it will not open in my computer. What do I need to open it?
              > Ed

              >> Sure it says .ink and not lnk (LNK)?
              >>
              >> Lotta

              >> A digital "ink" file produced by the io pen
              >>
              >> Take care Barry UK

              >> loro,
              >> I think you are right, it is a small L instead of an i. But how do I
              >> open it or change the extension?
              >> Ed

              >> Ed, right-click on it and rename.
              >> If it is actually a Word doc, it will open.
              >>
              >> Christine

              Ed,

              If none of the above apply, try to right-click the icon and choose
              properties, trying to determine if it is actually just a shortcut that
              loaded the 'absent' 'small electronic book' into Word.

              LNK is the default extension for Windows shortcuts, after
              right-clicking, the resulting pop-up dialog box should confirm that it
              is a shortcut only.

              --
              ºvº
              04.12.13
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
                I did that already, and this is what I got:

                L[1]ÀF<[1]...½ÜÄZ$?Q¸àÄ
                e"¸àÄ\­Hº?

                E%­Ð~¨6
                F1?1>DIANNS~1.
                ï¾++1¹?1>Dianns Booko5n
                Q»ÐPRESARIOC:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Dianns
                BookA..\..\..\..\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Dianns Book `
                XgeneÖg÷QÝFaAEUR*ùD©`?±:{EURz÷GÙ^(TM)Å

                ++8ÇÖg÷QÝFaAEUR*ùD©`?±:{EURz÷GÙ^(TM)Å

                ++8Ç

                Christine wrote:

                > Ed, right-click on it and rename.
                > If it is actually a Word doc, it will open.
                > The first thing the program does is check the file extension. It's like a
                > lazy kid. If it fails to recognize the extension, it stops cold. No
                > suggestions, no continuing thought or problem solving, etc. It just sits
                > there with its finger in its nose complaining about being bored.
                >
                > Christine

              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
                  *.ink is an extension for a shortcut. In the original computer the
                  sender should attach the original file from the original location.

                  Jeff
                • Dart Chris
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
                    That has to mean its a short-cut !

                    _____

                    Christine wrote:

                    > Ed, right-click on it and rename.
                    > If it is actually a Word doc, it will open.
                    > The first thing the program does is check the file extension. It's like a
                    > lazy kid. If it fails to recognize the extension, it stops cold. No
                    > suggestions, no continuing thought or problem solving, etc. It just sits
                    > there with its finger in its nose complaining about being bored.
                    >
                    > Christine

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129kj3brb/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
                    oups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1103035264/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.
                    netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
                    :HM/A=2434971/rand=523523294>

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  • future.com@vsnl.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
                      Hello

                      Download a small utility called FileDrag. This utility shall reveal which
                      program is required to open the file.

                      Srish Agrawal
                      ___________

                      At 08:08 AM 12/13/2004 -0600, you wrote:

                      >I did that already, and this is what I got:
                      >
                      >L[1]ÀF<[1]...½ÜÄZ$?Q¸àÄ
                      > e"¸àÄ\­Hº?
                      >
                      >E%­Ð~¨6
                      >F1?1>DIANNS~1.
                      >ï¾++1¹?1>Dianns Booko5n
                      >Q»ÐPRESARIOC:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Dianns
                      >BookA..\..\..\..\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Dianns Book `
                      > XgeneÖg÷QÝFaAEUR*ùD©`?±:{EURz÷GÙ^(TM)Å
                      >
                      >++8ÇÖg÷QÝFaAEUR*ùD©`?±:{EURz÷GÙ^(TM)Å
                      >
                      >++8Ç
                      >

                      >Christine wrote:
                      >
                      >> Ed, right-click on it and rename.
                      >> If it is actually a Word doc, it will open.
                      >> The first thing the program does is check the file extension. It's like a
                      >> lazy kid. If it fails to recognize the extension, it stops cold. No
                      >> suggestions, no continuing thought or problem solving, etc. It just sits
                      >> there with its finger in its nose complaining about being bored.
                      >>
                      >> Christine
                    • David Smart
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 13, 2004
                        If it's a link, the document isn't there - it's still on the original computer. :-(

                        If you do a properties on the file, if it's a link it'll show you what it points at. If you don't have that file, there's not much you can do - but at least you'll know for sure that it's a link.

                        Dave S

                        loro wrote:

                        > Ed Brown wrote:
                        > >I received a small electronic book from a friend who said it was written
                        > >in Word, but instead of having .doc it has .ink
                        > >I cannot open it. What is .ink or dot ink? Diann's Book.ink is what I
                        > >see but it will not open in my computer. What do I need to open it?
                        >
                        > Sure it says .ink and not lnk (LNK)?
                        >
                        > Lotta

                        ---