install failure

  • Barry Lever
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2004
      Greetings Experts: This is a general problem but came up over
      installation of notetabpro 4.95- and AFTER installation of service pack
      2 (running XP with 512MB ram)- After SP2, my existing NT4.95 would
      rarely load- gave me errors like- list index out of bounds- - so I
      decided to de-install and re-install. But when I tried to run the
      notetab495 setup file (ntp495wp.exe,freshly downloaded from Fookes) it
      gave me an error- has done something illegal.. and failed to run.
      REbooting had no effect, re-downloading no effect- running spybot
      software to eliminate adware etc- no effect- with or without virus
      protection running- no effect- crashed everytime./
      Then I recalled I had a similar problem with Nero6- the CD burner- I
      had been using Nero5 but that will not run under SP2 (surprise !!) - so
      I downloaded nero6 installation upgrade- and it failed - it opens a zip
      file and a large number of installation programmes and many of them
      upon extraction said CRC FAilure. Again re-booting etc- no help- so
      probably something on my computer conflicts with SP2 and that conflicts
      with windows installation...
      any ideas out there in cyber land ??
      thanks

      Barry

      --
      A B P Lever
      Distinguished Research Professor (Emeritus)
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2004
        Hi,

        Just one idea comes to mind. Not a clue whether it your issue or not.

        But doesn't some XP either Pro or Home or both have ability for
        encryption file system? encrypt--decrypt on the fly.

        If that's turned on and there is something wrong with that
        feature . . . well then, be looking at all kinds of translation
        failures.

        Are you install, not as a user, but as an administrator privileges?

        The two (nero and NTP) listed, is that the only problems, everything
        else works fine?

        I've had even only slightly incompatible memory sticks cause
        likewise, similar, as your listed pattern (this usually strikes at
        random though, not consistently and repeatedly on only 1 or 2 same
        programs).

        Perhaps there's something common, used by Nero and NTP that has a bit
        of a problem. Alan.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2004
          Hi Barry,

          You need a key for that file (unless you have an installed
          version on your hard drive that is recognized as upgradable), but
          that does not explain why it wouldn't run. You'll need to write
          me at Jody@... with your registration details for more
          assistance with the "wp" file.

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm