Re: [NTO] Common or not so common typographical characters

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
      These will work, I used them and got a no validate from W3c but, it was
      three periods in a row at the same point that is was objecting to, not
      as I first thought the $#178 which is what I used. After I found the 3
      periods which indicate usually that you are skipping the first part or
      the last part of a sentence and using only the part that makes the point
      you wish to make. Now the computer has just developed a thing to change
      the fonts and font size in the middle of the road. I did not do this
      myself, at least not intentionally. Wow just look at what this ing is
      doing. What is going on here???
      Ed

      David Smart wrote:

      > The other option is to use HTML "entities" for them. E.g. ² or
      > ² for superscript two. An extensive list is at
      > http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp and other web sites.
      >
      > Dave S

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
        Ed Brown wrote:
        > These will work, I used them and got a no validate from W3c but, it was
        > three periods in a row at the same point that is was objecting to, not
        > as I first thought the $#178 which is what I used. After I found the 3
        > periods which indicate usually that you are skipping the first part or
        > the last part of a sentence and using only the part that makes the point
        > you wish to make. Now the computer has just developed a thing to change
        > the fonts and font size in the middle of the road. I did not do this
        > myself, at least not intentionally. Wow just look at what this ing is
        > doing. What is going on here???
        > Ed

        Ed,

        I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
        this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
        trial and error.

        horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …

        ºvº
        hrs <04-12-02> hsavage@...
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
          hsavage wrote:
          >I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
          >this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
          >trial and error.
          >
          >horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …

          It's better typographically speaking and much prettier, but three periods
          won't make the validator cough. There must be something else amiss. Maybe
          you could show us the page Ed, or at least tell us what error you get?

          Lotta
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
            Can't do because I uploaded the new page after removing the ... and it
            then validated. Why hiccupped I do not know. I had 2 instances of 3
            dots in one paragraph and it choked on both of them. I removed them and
            it worked. I do not argue with success. ;-)
            Ed

            loro wrote:

            > hsavage wrote:
            > >I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
            > >this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
            > >trial and error.
            > >
            > >horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …
            >
            > It's better typographically speaking and much prettier, but three periods
            > won't make the validator cough. There must be something else amiss. Maybe
            > you could show us the page Ed, or at least tell us what error you get?
            >
            > Lotta
            >

            > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
            > click here
            > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a5tjum/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1102099439/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

            Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.
            -- Unknown