Re: [NTO] Common or not so common typographical characters

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
      Me wrote:
      >Notepad can't output unicode.

      Actually, Notepad can but Notetab can't. :-o

      Lotta
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        The other option is to use HTML "entities" for them. E.g. ² or ² for superscript two. An extensive list is at http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp and other web sites.

        Dave S

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
          These will work, I used them and got a no validate from W3c but, it was
          three periods in a row at the same point that is was objecting to, not
          as I first thought the $#178 which is what I used. After I found the 3
          periods which indicate usually that you are skipping the first part or
          the last part of a sentence and using only the part that makes the point
          you wish to make. Now the computer has just developed a thing to change
          the fonts and font size in the middle of the road. I did not do this
          myself, at least not intentionally. Wow just look at what this ing is
          doing. What is going on here???
          Ed

          David Smart wrote:

          > The other option is to use HTML "entities" for them. E.g. ² or
          > ² for superscript two. An extensive list is at
          > http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp and other web sites.
          >
          > Dave S

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
            Ed Brown wrote:
            > These will work, I used them and got a no validate from W3c but, it was
            > three periods in a row at the same point that is was objecting to, not
            > as I first thought the $#178 which is what I used. After I found the 3
            > periods which indicate usually that you are skipping the first part or
            > the last part of a sentence and using only the part that makes the point
            > you wish to make. Now the computer has just developed a thing to change
            > the fonts and font size in the middle of the road. I did not do this
            > myself, at least not intentionally. Wow just look at what this ing is
            > doing. What is going on here???
            > Ed

            Ed,

            I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
            this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
            trial and error.

            horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …

            ºvº
            hrs <04-12-02> hsavage@...
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
              hsavage wrote:
              >I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
              >this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
              >trial and error.
              >
              >horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …

              It's better typographically speaking and much prettier, but three periods
              won't make the validator cough. There must be something else amiss. Maybe
              you could show us the page Ed, or at least tell us what error you get?

              Lotta
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2004
                Can't do because I uploaded the new page after removing the ... and it
                then validated. Why hiccupped I do not know. I had 2 instances of 3
                dots in one paragraph and it choked on both of them. I removed them and
                it worked. I do not argue with success. ;-)
                Ed

                loro wrote:

                > hsavage wrote:
                > >I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
                > >this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
                > >trial and error.
                > >
                > >horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …
                >
                > It's better typographically speaking and much prettier, but three periods
                > won't make the validator cough. There must be something else amiss. Maybe
                > you could show us the page Ed, or at least tell us what error you get?
                >
                > Lotta
                >

                > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                > click here
                > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a5tjum/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1102099439/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

                Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.
                -- Unknown