XP SP2 "Unblock" button (WAS [NTB] Re: NoteTab Corrupt Message [blank original subject])

  • Jason W.
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      I read with interest the thread on NTB regarding Steve having to go
      into Properties to "unblock" his Notetab download file. I tried
      downloading NTL on my machine with IE and got the same results. I did
      some googling and found that it is from the "Safe Attachment Execution
      Service". Here's the info:

      "You will also notice that XP SP2 has a new "Safe Attachment Execution
      Service" that prevents running potentially dangerous types of files
      that are either downloaded through a Web browser or received through
      email or an instant message. Applications in Windows XP that support
      downloading attachments - IE, Outlook Express, and Windows Messenger -
      will be supported immediately. However, third party software
      companies will need to build support into their applications. This
      feature works the same way in all XP applications: Any file you
      download in IE that the service deems unsafe (such as a .pif, .scr, or
      .exe) will initially be "soft-blocked" (clients will see a pop-up
      warning). If the file is downloaded, a second warning message will
      appear when you try to run the downloaded file, asking if you are sure
      you want to run it. Clicking the Run button will execute the file.

      "But if you are using Outlook Express or Windows Messenger, and you
      override the first warning message, the file will appear on your hard
      drive in a "hard-blocked" state – it will not run unless you
      deliberately go into that downloaded program's Properties dialog box
      and manually click a button labeled Unblock within its Advance
      Properties tab." - from
      http://intra1.jhsph.edu/Administration/InformationSystems/Support/winSP2Info.html

      One thing of note is this only works if you save to an NTFS drive.
      Saving to a FAT32 drive doesn't enable the unblock button. My first
      try was saving it to a remote NTFS drive (where my Desktop is stored)
      - that did enable the unblock button. My guess is the NTFS spec allows
      for extra attributes to be used (since my Desktop is stored on a Win2k
      Server machine)

      I didn't see an explicit service in services.msc so I wonder if you
      can disable it. I'm glad Firefox and Mozilla haven't implemented this
      - it'd be nightmare if I had to go unblock ever download!

      --
      HTH

      Jason

      EL-M Computer Help List - Computer help for listowners and list moderators
      http://groups-beta.google.com/group/EL-M-ComputerHelp/about