Re: [NTO] Common or not so common typographical characters

  • Mike Hopkins
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1 9:12 AM
      Sorry, I am half asleep and your request didn't penetrate as far as it
      should have.
      I showed superscripts, you asked for subscripts.

    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1 9:17 AM
        No, I was asleep and wrote subscripts when I meant superscripts. You
        wrote exactly what I am using but so far I cannot get them by W3C's HTML
        validator.
        Ed

        Mike Hopkins wrote:

        > Sorry, I am half asleep and your request didn't penetrate as far as it
        > should have.
        > I showed superscripts, you asked for subscripts.

        If I had my life to live over again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
        -- Tallulah Bankhead

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1 8:15 PM
          Ed Brown wrote:
          >No, I was asleep and wrote subscripts when I meant superscripts. You
          >wrote exactly what I am using but so far I cannot get them by W3C's HTML
          >validator.
          >Mike Hopkins wrote:
          >
          > > Sorry, I am half asleep and your request didn't penetrate as far as it
          > > should have.
          > > I showed superscripts, you asked for subscripts.

          LOL Sometimes things turn out for the best. :-)

          What error do you get? I don't think there is a problem with those
          characters if you use iso-8859-1.
          http://snipurl.com/b15y

          If you use UTF-8 you have to use entities since Notepad can't output unicode.
          http://snipurl.com/b160
          Note that the validator chokes first on line 14 where the sup characters
          are typed with keyboard.

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1 8:40 PM
            Me wrote:
            >Notepad can't output unicode.

            Actually, Notepad can but Notetab can't. :-o

            Lotta
          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1 8:45 PM
              The other option is to use HTML "entities" for them. E.g. ² or ² for superscript two. An extensive list is at http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp and other web sites.

              Dave S

              >No, I was asleep and wrote subscripts when I meant superscripts. You
              >wrote exactly what I am using but so far I cannot get them by W3C's HTML
              >validator.
              >Mike Hopkins wrote:
              >
              > > Sorry, I am half asleep and your request didn't penetrate as far as it
              > > should have.
              > > I showed superscripts, you asked for subscripts.

              LOL Sometimes things turn out for the best. :-)

              What error do you get? I don't think there is a problem with those
              characters if you use iso-8859-1.
              http://snipurl.com/b15y

              If you use UTF-8 you have to use entities since Notepad can't output unicode.
              http://snipurl.com/b160
              Note that the validator chokes first on line 14 where the sup characters
              are typed with keyboard.

              Lotta

              ---

            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2 5:39 AM
                These will work, I used them and got a no validate from W3c but, it was
                three periods in a row at the same point that is was objecting to, not
                as I first thought the $#178 which is what I used. After I found the 3
                periods which indicate usually that you are skipping the first part or
                the last part of a sentence and using only the part that makes the point
                you wish to make. Now the computer has just developed a thing to change
                the fonts and font size in the middle of the road. I did not do this
                myself, at least not intentionally. Wow just look at what this ing is
                doing. What is going on here???
                Ed

                David Smart wrote:

                > The other option is to use HTML "entities" for them. E.g. ² or
                > ² for superscript two. An extensive list is at
                > http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp and other web sites.
                >
                > Dave S

              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2 8:42 AM
                  Ed Brown wrote:
                  > These will work, I used them and got a no validate from W3c but, it was
                  > three periods in a row at the same point that is was objecting to, not
                  > as I first thought the $#178 which is what I used. After I found the 3
                  > periods which indicate usually that you are skipping the first part or
                  > the last part of a sentence and using only the part that makes the point
                  > you wish to make. Now the computer has just developed a thing to change
                  > the fonts and font size in the middle of the road. I did not do this
                  > myself, at least not intentionally. Wow just look at what this ing is
                  > doing. What is going on here???
                  > Ed

                  Ed,

                  I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
                  this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
                  trial and error.

                  horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …

                  ºvº
                  hrs <04-12-02> hsavage@...
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 2 10:43 AM
                    hsavage wrote:
                    >I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
                    >this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
                    >trial and error.
                    >
                    >horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …

                    It's better typographically speaking and much prettier, but three periods
                    won't make the validator cough. There must be something else amiss. Maybe
                    you could show us the page Ed, or at least tell us what error you get?

                    Lotta
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 2 5:25 PM
                      Can't do because I uploaded the new page after removing the ... and it
                      then validated. Why hiccupped I do not know. I had 2 instances of 3
                      dots in one paragraph and it choked on both of them. I removed them and
                      it worked. I do not argue with success. ;-)
                      Ed

                      loro wrote:

                      > hsavage wrote:
                      > >I noticed the last few messages, this may help, if it suits, substitute
                      > >this entity for the 3 periods. I don't know which form to try, just
                      > >trial and error.
                      > >
                      > >horizontal ellipsis = three dot leader … … …
                      >
                      > It's better typographically speaking and much prettier, but three periods
                      > won't make the validator cough. There must be something else amiss. Maybe
                      > you could show us the page Ed, or at least tell us what error you get?
                      >
                      > Lotta
                      >

                      > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                      > click here
                      > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a5tjum/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1102099439/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400>

                      Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.
                      -- Unknown